GDT: Pre-Season #6 | New York Rangers vs New York Islanders | October 4th | 7:00 PM | F/TBD

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So what are we looking at on opening night?

Horval/Barzal/Duclair
Nelson/Tsyplakov/Palmieri
Pageau/Lee/Holmstrom
Cizikas/MacLean/???

Pelech/Pulock
Dobson/Romanov
Mayfield/Reilly

Varly/????

Who gets the 4th line winger spot. I don't think Wahlstrom brought much to the table tonight, and I don't see a spot for him on this team any longer. Will Engvall be capable of playing a 4th line game? Based on tonight's roster, I"m thinking one of them dresses on Thursday in that spot.

barz2

Jul 1, 2023

Horval/Barzal/Duclair
Pageau/Lee/Holmstrom
Cizikas/MacLean/???

Pelech/Pulock
Dobson/Romanov
Mayfield/Reilly

Varly/????

Who gets the 4th line winger spot. I don't think Wahlstrom brought much to the table tonight, and I don't see a spot for him on this team any longer. Will Engvall be capable of playing a 4th line game? Based on tonight's roster, I"m thinking one of them dresses on Thursday in that spot.

Actually thought Wally was ok.. Had a few chances.. Nice sort of a toe drag move to create a scoring chance for himself. Is it enough to earn the spot ...? Not sure

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Horval/Barzal/Duclair
Pageau/Lee/Holmstrom
Cizikas/MacLean/???

Pelech/Pulock
Dobson/Romanov
Mayfield/Reilly

Varly/????

If it’s between Benoit Hogue and Wally, I’m choosing Benny even if he hasn’t played in years. It’s most likely Fasching then Gauthier, Martin, Wally. Engvall is the 13F as wild as it seems.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

Horval/Barzal/Duclair
Pageau/Lee/Holmstrom
Cizikas/MacLean/???

Pelech/Pulock
Dobson/Romanov
Mayfield/Reilly

Varly/????

Wahlstrom looked good tonight other than that one play where he couldn't get the puck out of the D zone.

Reactions: SI and impaaaaaact

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Welp, saw my first bit of Isles hockey this season tonight and the thing that jumped out at me is that this team looks like it's well-coached for the first time in quite a while. Certainly better than under Lambert, or Trotz' last season, and in some ways better than even the good years under Trotz - definitely puck movement, breakouts, offensive play are better.

Gotta say I was impressed with Tsyplakov. He's more than just a shooter and net-area guy. He seems to have overall good vision and hockey sense. Question: if Shane Prince helped convince him to sign with the Isles, does that mean some people are going to say Snow is responsible for bringing in Tsyplakov?

If I did fantasy hockey I'd be thinking about going all in on Barzal about now. I could see him hitting 100 points this year.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sure but that’s not my point. Zeeker has been center for this team for over a decade. It’s one thing to wing for Horvat but it’s weird to see him hit the wing for McLean
Keep in mind that it’s preseason so Roy can just want a different look. It also doesn’t hurt keeping MacLean in his natural position while shifting over Casey. Casey can teach him on the fly while being a bit more defensively responsible on the wing.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Sure but that’s not my point. Zeeker has been center for this team for over a decade. It’s one thing to wing for Horvat but it’s weird to see him hit the wing for McLean
It’s weird but I think they’re preparing him to take over once Pageau is gone. Not to get too ahead of ourselves but it seems like we might be interested in re-signing Tsyplakov in the offseason and we’ll need some salary off the books to do it, even if it’s like a 2M contract.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
It’s weird but I think they’re preparing him to take over once Pageau is gone. Not to get too ahead of ourselves but it seems like we might be interested in re-signing Tsyplakov in the offseason and we’ll need some salary off the books to do it, even if it’s like a 2M contract.
Tsyplakov keeps up this play and slowly improves in his own zone from now till January, get him locked up ASAP, if possible. Only going to get more expensive from there.

Reactions: Osakahaus

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Saw the 3rd, liked how they played. They have enough speed to play that attacking forecheck Roy is implementing. All 4 lines seem to click; as I was in the offseason, excited to see the Barzal-Duclair duo--they are going to create a lot of odd-man rushes and breakaways.

Only concern going into the season is goaltending. I'm not convinced Varly can be a quality, consistent starter over a long stretch. A few weeks? Sure.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Horval/Barzal/Duclair
Pageau/Lee/Holmstrom
Cizikas/MacLean/???

Pelech/Pulock
Dobson/Romanov
Mayfield/Reilly

Varly/????

IMO, it will be Gauthier, however, Engvall and Wahlstrom will be the 13th and 14th F's.

I think Sorokin will start the season on LTIR, giving Lou and Roy more time to evaluate the roster and specifically Wahlstrom.

Columbus does need players and I can see a Wahlstrom for pick, or maybe James Malatesta, a former player for Roy, who is waiver exempt.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
IMO, it will be Gauthier, however, Engvall and Wahlstrom will be the 13th and 14th F's.

I think Sorokin will start the season on LTIR, giving Lou and Roy more time to evaluate the roster and specifically Wahlstrom.

Columbus does need players and I can see a Wahlstrom for pick, or maybe James Malatesta, a former player for Roy, who is waiver exempt.
Maybe we can trade Engvall to Columbus for a can of baked beans or something of similar value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad