"Powerplays: A How To Guide"

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
Hey guys, sorry if there is already a power play related thread. This article just got my fury juices flowing once again

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-scoring-pace-crummy-powerplay-major-culprit/

I haven't truly seen a comprehensive article that offered helpful reasoning as to why the power play has been so bad/what to do to fix it. Hoping to brainstorm/discuss a little.. I know we don't move around enough, and we have no true "booming" shot from the point but it has to be more than that doesn't it? We were 3rd in the league under Renney/Krueger for christ sake!

Also, in reference to the article's discussion of how every player is down in terms of points and shooting percentage team wide is 7.6% .. I really feel this isn't simply bad luck that is going to turn around. Countless times I've seen writers suggest this is an unsuitably low percentage and it can't continue. But to my eye, this percentage goes hand in hand with our current offensive "game plan" that seems to do nothing more than pad our fancy stats. We shoot the puck at inopportune/low percentage times (the put the puck on the net and anything can happen strategy I suppose), or we hold possession on the perimeter until we turn it over or work it back to the D for another often meaningless shot! Where are those beautiful low cycle to slot cris-cross plays that were reminiscent of a Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry line at their most dominant? Where's the back door seam pass that no one saw but RNH? Where is Eberle dancing through the middle and roofing it backhand?

It seems that Eakins has bred the offense right out of these guys. I get that confidence is likely at an all time low, and I also understand that sometimes the simplest play is often the correct play. But where have all of the legitimate "hockey" plays gone? Every other NHL game I watch produces good quality high percentage shooting chances from the slot, while it seems like our biggest strategy is cycle the puck, get it to the point and have Andrew Ference shoot it at the goalie's chest!

Anyway, please discuss ..

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Rule 1: Far fewer point shots. Our current team just doesn't have the personnel to make it work. No great shooters, no great deflectors, no one to battle for rebounds.

Rule 2: Pass the puck faster than the opponents can adjust. This is a universal rule. If you stop and hang on to the puck after every pass it defeats the purpose of passing the puck around.

Rule 3: Shoot the puck quickly or not at all. Similar to rule 2, you have to shoot before the goalie and defenders can adjust.

Rule 4: Do not hit the nearest opponent with your shot (or pass). Ideally you won't hit any opponents, but never ever hit the closest one. Aim anywhere else. This is especially important for point shots.

Rule 5: If someone is shooting from the left side of the net, someone has to cover the right side boards because that's probably where the puck is going! And vice versa of course.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
I agree. This is 100 percent on Eakins. But it goes further than the pp. He has turned a bunch of offensively players into "responsible defensive players". This has destroyed their offensively capabilities and is the reason they have all regressed. He has not only killed them as players, but in turn has destroyed their value.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Rule 1: Far fewer point shots. Our current team just doesn't have the personnel to make it work. No great shooters, no great deflectors, no one to battle for rebounds.

Rule 2: Pass the puck faster than the opponents can adjust. This is a universal rule. If you stop and hang on to the puck after every pass it defeats the purpose of passing the puck around.

Rule 3: Shoot the puck quickly or not at all. Similar to rule 2, you have to shoot before the goalie and defenders can adjust.

Rule 4: Do not hit the nearest opponent with your shot (or pass). Ideally you won't hit any opponents, but never ever hit the closest one. Aim anywhere else. This is especially important for point shots.

Rule 5: If someone is shooting from the left side of the net, someone has to cover the right side boards because that's probably where the puck is going! And vice versa of course.

Rule 6: Do not put any of the current Oiler team on the power play. They cannot follow the first 5 rules at all. :D

cj354

Nov 2, 2013

Agree 100% with everything above. But with respect to the bolded, it just seems like these 3 aspects came very naturally to several of our players and I can't for the life of me understand how they've regressed to this degree.

Like what is going on in Eakins practices? Has the way he's been teaching defense changed the players mindset on offense? Are they not dedicating enough time to it? Does Eakins himself not understand offensive principles?

It just seems that all of our top threats have been neutralized at this point, they're not playing with the same creativity/skill that they used to.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Rule 1: If you take away the point presence, it makes it easier on the PK team. No threat from the top means you can stay low, and attempt to cut off passing lanes instead of worrying about a shot. Whether or not we have a person who can make that shot or not shouldn't dictate whether or not we take it out of our arsenal. Better net presence alone allows for the availability for battles and loose pucks in front of the net when shots are taken from the point.

Rule 2: Passing the puck faster than the PK team can adjust means nothing if the the PP team is static and stationary in their positioning. You can pass fast all day, but if players are standing still, nothing is happening.

Rule 3: I'm pretty sure San Jose, Pittsburgh and Tampa employ the "get it low and in front" shot technique, which forces the aforementioned loose pucks and battles in front. A lot of goals are scored here. San Jose especially has a strong net presence and utilizes a "tip" game.

Rule 4: The Nikitin rule. With an inept system that keeps our players stuck in the immediate 2 feet surrounding them, it's hard to change your angle and get any shots through.

Rule 5. This rule can't be stated enough. If shooting from the left, with a left handed shot, the person on the far ride side-boards or defenseman set up in the middle of the ice should cover the far boards. We can't hit the net, and we force the puck out of the offensive zone more than the opposing team does. It's annoying to watch Schultz standing in the middle of the ice on the blue line, watching a puck zoom past him on either board.

If I were to simplify the PP it would be in 4 steps:

1. Utilize the dump and chase, or enter the zone with the puck, stop up and set up. No more stupid drop passes in the neutral zone forcing off-sides, drop passes after you enter the blue-line when you have two defenders on you. It handcuffs the player receiving the puck.

2. Keep moving. A rotating PP with possession tires out the PK unit, and continuously opens lanes to pass or shoot. We stand still and force passes through bodies. Gross.

3. Utilize passing on the outside, but have a formidable net presence. It's a dying breed, the "Smyth" or "Holmstrom" types, but are desperately needed on this team. It would be a place where Pitlick could attempt to make a career.

4. Teach Jultz how to keep a puck in the zone.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
rule 7 - dont let the pkers get breakaways or 2 on 1's

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
Rule 1: If you take away the point presence, it makes it easier on the PK team. No threat from the top means you can stay low, and attempt to cut off passing lanes instead of worrying about a shot. Whether or not we have a person who can make that shot or not shouldn't dictate whether or not we take it out of our arsenal. Better net presence alone allows for the availability for battles and loose pucks in front of the net when shots are taken from the point.

Rule 2: Passing the puck faster than the PK team can adjust means nothing if the the PP team is static and stationary in their positioning. You can pass fast all day, but if players are standing still, nothing is happening.

Rule 3: I'm pretty sure San Jose, Pittsburgh and Tampa employ the "get it low and in front" shot technique, which forces the aforementioned loose pucks and battles in front. A lot of goals are scored here. San Jose especially has a strong net presence and utilizes a "tip" game.

Rule 4: The Nikitin rule. With an inept system that keeps our players stuck in the immediate 2 feet surrounding them, it's hard to change your angle and get any shots through.

Rule 5. This rule can't be stated enough. If shooting from the left, with a left handed shot, the person on the far ride side-boards or defenseman set up in the middle of the ice should cover the far boards. We can't hit the net, and we force the puck out of the offensive zone more than the opposing team does. It's annoying to watch Schultz standing in the middle of the ice on the blue line, watching a puck zoom past him on either board.

If I were to simplify the PP it would be in 4 steps:

1. Utilize the dump and chase, or enter the zone with the puck, stop up and set up. No more stupid drop passes in the neutral zone forcing off-sides, drop passes after you enter the blue-line when you have two defenders on you. It handcuffs the player receiving the puck.

2. Keep moving. A rotating PP with possession tires out the PK unit, and continuously opens lanes to pass or shoot. We stand still and force passes through bodies. Gross.

3. Utilize passing on the outside, but have a formidable net presence. It's a dying breed, the "Smyth" or "Holmstrom" types, but are desperately needed on this team. It would be a place where Pitlick could attempt to make a career.

4. Teach Jultz how to keep a puck in the zone.

All insightful and well though out suggestions. What I don't understand is why can't the coaching staff, or even the players figure this out!?

Like honestly just watch old game film of when you were the 3rd/8th best powerplay in the league and see what worked and what you could translate into the current roster. Most of the top personnel are still here save for a few guys. Don't Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Yak, Schultz remember the things they used to do well on the PP???

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
All insightful and well though out suggestions. What I don't understand is why can't the coaching staff, or even the players figure this out!?

Like honestly just watch old game film of when you were the 3rd/8th best powerplay in the league and see what worked and what you could translate into the current roster. Most of the top personnel are still here save for a few guys. Don't Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Yak, Schultz remember the things they used to do well on the PP???

We have a similar group that had a wonderful PP going for them, but are now under an arrogant and stubborn coach who cares very little about the PP. If you have a look at his coaching days with the Marlies, this PP stink has followed him around.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Also, in reference to the article's discussion of how every player is down in terms of points and shooting percentage team wide is 7.6% .. I really feel this isn't simply bad luck that is going to turn around. Countless times I've seen writers suggest this is an unsuitably low percentage and it can't continue. But to my eye, this percentage goes hand in hand with our current offensive "game plan" that seems to do nothing more than pad our fancy stats. We shoot the puck at inopportune/low percentage times (the put the puck on the net and anything can happen strategy I suppose), or we hold possession on the perimeter until we turn it over or work it back to the D for another often meaningless shot! Where are those beautiful low cycle to slot cris-cross plays that were reminiscent of a Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry line at their most dominant? Where's the back door seam pass that no one saw but RNH? Where is Eberle dancing through the middle and roofing it backhand?

Agree very strongly. I hate it when guys like Stauffer start using "PDO" as a reason why things are going to turn around for the Oil. People actually justify this "stat" as a measurement of puck luck. Shooting percentage vs save percentage. That would be great if all shots were created equal. They aren't. If you have 12 Magnus Paajarvi's as your forward group, you're going to wear out a lot of jersey crests on the opposing goalie, but not do much else. If you give up prime shooting areas in the slot, your save percentage is going to be lower, it has nothing to do with luck. If your D can't clear the crease and give up 2nd and 3rd chances, save percentage takes a hit. Conversely, if you don't go to the front of the net to pick up rebounds, there's a very good chance your teams shooting percentage is lower than league average.

What we saw last game, the game winner from Perron, that was puck luck. At the end of the year you hope those types of goals balance out. What the proponents of PDO want to do is lump everything in and suggest we deserve a better fate. Scrivens giving away pucks earlier in the season; break downs in coverage; toe drags on the perimeter instead of shooting.....

To steal a line from Dennis Green

"THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!"

A soft team that tries to skill their way to victory and fails frequently. Wake me up when we actually win a battle for a loose puck in front of the net.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
Marlies Power Play under Dallas Eakins "tutelage"...

Power Play

Season Total PP GF GA PP% Rank
2009-10 382 50 14 13.1 28/29
2010-11 361 54 14 15 25/30
2011-12 336 49 4 14.6 27/30
2012-13 373 61 8 16.4 19/30

The year before Eakins coached the Marlies they were #2 at 20.4%, and the year after he left to join the Oilers the Marlies were #12 at 18.3%

The fancy stats show that Dallas Eakins can not run a power play

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Marlies Power Play under Dallas Eakins "tutelage"...

Power Play

Season Total PP GF GA PP% Rank
2009-10 382 50 14 13.1 28/29
2010-11 361 54 14 15 25/30
2011-12 336 49 4 14.6 27/30
2012-13 373 61 8 16.4 19/30

The year before Eakins coached the Marlies they were #2 at 20.4%, and the year after he left to join the Oilers the Marlies were #12 at 18.3%

The fancy stats show that Dallas Eakins can not run a power play

Not really, no.

Shooting percentage under Krueger: 2nd in the league
Shooting percentage this year: 26th in the league

That's about the difference.

Oilers are vastly improved on the PP under most "fancy stats" with the exception of PDO.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
Not really, no.

Oilers are vastly improved on the PP under most "fancy stats" with the exception of PDO.

At 13.2% and 27th in the league and last in wins I would say the fancy stats don't mean diddly. Dallas Eakins has shown that Power Plays are worse under his coaching than others...That is fact.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
http://oilersnation.com/2014/12/2/power-play-by-the-numbers

Oilers power play was never good. Just lucky.

This one's on the players.

Thanks for the reading material.

The one stat that impresses me more than any is the goals differential....You still have to score one more than the other team to win. :)

I believe the players do need to do a better job as the coach can't be out there scoring however I still feel that Dallas Eakins doesn't get the most out the players as he should and the power play stats with the Marlies shows that his teams have a tendency to have a lower producing power play than the rest of his peers

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I see the main issue with our powerplay is the lack of a competent powerplay quarterback there is literally no team in the league with a worse powerplay quarterback then the person we rely most on for this role in Justin Schultz.

The 2nd main issue is static defined roles for the players, the best powerplays always get the PK'ers moving and trying to adjust to the different looks that they are being shown, ours it seems like I can read a checklist of what the PK'ers are told to do and if they do that we can't score.

Defensive checklist:

1) No threats to score from the blueline box-out any forwards trying to screen or deflect pucks, few if any players are willing to pay the price to stand infront so bang them up a bit and they will start to shy away if they are even trying to get infront in the first place.

2) The point is an area of weakness pressure them hard and they will likely turnover the puck or due to past issues with giving up shorthanded goals will back up due to fear of an odd-man break.

3) There forwards are small if they try to cycling or dumping it down low send in a big body win the puck battle and clear it hard.

4) Watch the cross seam pass, it's something they look for regularly as it is one of the ways they are able to score and they are prone to trying to force it through even when coverage is in place.

To improve our powerplay I think we need one larger body with skill who can be a net front presence, we need a better powerplay quarterback with a better shot. We need to start moving the puck quicker and I think each powerplay should have 3 different formations they can transition into seamlessly as the situation dictates.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
Not really, no.

Why people keep claiming Shooting Percentage as a mythical dice roll number makes no sense to me. As a previous poster pointed out not all shots are created equal, and really a teams offensive game plan/style is what puts players in dangerous/high scoring spots. Now I don't have the data on scoring chances from the PP under Krueger, but I would be willing to bet the team was shooting more often from dangerous spots when compared to the current Eakins set up. Can you remember the last time Hall sniped it from his golden spot just below the circle on the right wing? Of course you can't because it was like 3 years ago!!!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Rule one: Get someones ass in front of the net right in front of the goalie for the whole power play. I would have no problem putting one of our 4th liners on the 1st line pp and another on the 2nd line pp at all. Pinnizato and Hendricks, get in front of the net and don't get moved.

All the other rules far far far after that 1st rule.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
http://oilersnation.com/2014/12/2/power-play-by-the-numbers

Oilers power play was never good. Just lucky.

This one's on the players.

I can not agree with that assessment. The most logical conclusion to draw is that with Kreuger the PP was better set up and put players in better scoring positions. It's not just the lack of conversions that makes the Dallas Eakins power play an abomination, it's also the fact that more often than not the team on the PK will get the most dangerous chances. Shooting percentage can be a fluctuating stat, but the Oilers PP being unable to set up and routinely giving up short handed goals and chances speaks more to a systemic problem than simply players not shooting as well.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Hey guys, sorry if there is already a power play related thread. This article just got my fury juices flowing once again

Post of the season! I'm glad other people see the obvious.

The whole "stay the course" nonsense precludes any realistic solutions but we can at least hope that there's some real change soon.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
For me, it's a hard work issue. Too many guys on this team just "expect" things to happen, without actively putting in the effort. Basically, the theme of the whole season right there.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
I can not agree with that assessment. The most logical conclusion to draw is that with Kreuger the PP was better set up and put players in better scoring positions. It's not just the lack of conversions that makes the Dallas Eakins power play an abomination, it's also the fact that more often than not the team on the PK will get the most dangerous chances. Shooting percentage can be a fluctuating stat, but the Oilers PP being unable to set up and routinely giving up short handed goals and chances speaks more to a systemic problem than simply players not shooting as well.

100% agreed. Shooting percentages can even out but they are not simply based on luck. A quality coach puts his players in the best position to succeed both offensively and defensively! The most damning stat is that shooting percentage is down substantially team wide, it is not just a few players or even a line on cold streaks it's an issue with the entire system.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007

I agree, Oilers have 52 power plays and allowed 5 short handed against and scored 9 power play goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad