Powerplay (Canadian TV series)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Did anyone ever watch the Canadian TV series Powerplay? There were 26 episodes (two seasons) and it aired from 1998 to 2000. It was about a fictional NHL team, the Hamilton Steelheads. (For non Canadians - Hamilton is a city of 500K+ people, around 60KM west of Toronto, on the shores of Lake Ontario). Michael Riley starred as the team's general manager (Brett Parker - he was shrewd and successful, but had personal demons). The series was filmed in Copps Coliseum (the main sports/entertainment venue in Hamilton - now called First Ontario Centre).

It addressed a number of hockey-related topics that were relevant 25 years ago. Many of these are still important today. The Steelheads' financial viability, as an NHL franchise in a smaller city, was a common theme. (In real life, several NHL teams, including the Senators, faced these challenges, especially with the plumetting value of the Canadian dollar). There were also episodes that talked about racism, affirmative action, and gay players.

I recently found a YouTube channel with most (all?) of the episodes - link. (To preempt any questions - no, that isn't my channel, nor does it belong to anyone I know).

There's lots of great hockey trivia crammed into the series. The theme song is "The Hockey Song" by Stompin' Tom Connors. I vaguely recall Bobby Hull making a cameo. (This was before some of the unsavoury details about his personal life became widely known). The team's coach studied under Anatoli Tarasov. According to IMDB, there were also guest appearances from some big names - Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur, Johnny Bower, and Don Cherry.

My favourite episode was "The Mask" (season 2, episode 8). There's a mix of funny and serious topics. Parker had a hallucination involving Jacques Plante. The goalie argued that Parker kept a mask over his emotions, just as how Plante used a mask to protect his face. That metaphor worked well. In some of the funnier scenes, coach Harry Strand (portrayed by Neil Crone) is convinced that Tarasov's former assistant coach (who he deposed) is out to get him. He interprets anything and everything as a sign of his impending doom. And "the tape" scene is hilarious.

Did anyone else watch this? To any Americans on HOH - have you even heard of this show? (According to Wikipedia, the ratings were horrific in the US). I wish I could buy a DVD of the series, but I can't find it anywhere.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i saw maybe a handful of episodes, wish i’d seen more. i was living in the US and only would see the odd episode when visiting my parents.

don cherry was a recurring character, but i can’t remember now if he was himself or not. i want to say he was either the coach or GM of the toronto team.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
i saw maybe a handful of episodes, wish i’d seen more. i was living in the US and only would see the odd episode when visiting my parents.

don cherry was a recurring character, but i can’t remember now if he was himself or not. i want to say he was either the coach or GM of the toronto team.

I do remember seeing at least handful of episodes as well when it was on the air.

I do remember that cherry was a coach, and I don't think they used his real name but he played the same cherry persona that we are all accustomed to.

I think he coached a fictional Philadelphia team if i recall correctly. Regardless, I'm pretty certain that it was an American based team even if I'm wrong on Philly.

I enjoyed the series for the parts of it that I did watch. I thought some of the cast was pretty talented as well. The guy who played the steelheads owner is a Canadian legend, that I had not kown about prior to this series. The steelheads GM was good too, as was the 2nd steelheads head coach

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Steelheads vs. the Quebec National Stanley Cup final was the greatest crossover in TV history.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The Steelheads vs. the Quebec National Stanley Cup final was the greatest crossover in TV history.
I thought He Shoots He Scores was an interesting series when it was on in the late-80s. I wouldn't mind checking it out again to see if it holds up today. There was one character who was a French superstar with a playboy lifestyle who seemed to be based on Lafleur.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I saw a few episodes of Power Play when it aired, and it seemed as though they were trying to work every hockey issue of the era into the script. In an early episode, one of the players says he can't bear to watch tv footage of his 400th goal because it has the glowing puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad