Speculation: Potential waiver gems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Potentially Solovyov & Pelletier from the Flames.

Neither should be waived but the Flames still have way too many vets around.

Ya would really rather avoid losing them. Imagine Duehr will probably be waiver bound at some point this season too. He sucked last year but he's big and fast so I could see someone picking him up.

Ledge And Dairy

Ya would really rather avoid losing them. Imagine Duehr will probably be waiver bound at some point this season too. He sucked last year but he's big and fast so I could see someone picking him up.
Pelletier would have to play pretty bad to get placed on waivers IMO. Hanley will very likely be placed on waivers and I don't think Calgary would mind if he gets claimed (I could see Dallas grabbing him back due to familiarity). I could see Solo getting through waivers fairly easily though, I don't think teams will be as willing to take him due to his lack of NHL experience. I agree that there is a very decent chance Duehr gets waived though but I doubt he gets claimed. He was given the benefit of the doubt at the start of camp, basically his spot to lose on the 4th line but at the way things are going right now it will be very difficult to justify sending Coronato back down.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For the Oilers, maybe Raphael Lavoie, but I don't think he has shown enough to be claimed when there are others around the same caliber who will hit the wire. I wouldn't be shocked if we waive Josh Brown, but at 1M and 3 years, and not the best track record at the NHL level, I don't expect he would be claimed either.
Lavoie is an interesting one to me. His season last year wasn't a whole heck of a lot better than the previous year, which he cleared waivers then.

However, does a team take him thinking that the only reason he didn't make the team is due to the amount of forwards we already have?

The guy does have size and a shot

Haven't watched pre-season yet as the games aren't exactly a great judge of anything this early on, but it'll be interesting to see how he finishes the pre-season

Reactions: bert

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Sabres waivers candidates worth a look at are Lukas Rousek, James Reimer, Jacob Bryson, Dennis Gilbert. Maybe Josh Dunne?

I would be pretty shocked if the Sabres kept 3 goalies, so Levi or Reimer as backup is the biggest roster decision.

I think if they go 7D they would waive Bryson before Gilbert.

Rousek is a solid AHL+ player, a really good organizational.14F.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Most of these names aren’t really as interesting as they may seem at first glance. The issue is how many teams don’t have enough of their own interesting players that they are willing to use a spot they don’t have right now on somebody else.

The tried and true veteran 4th liner and 6/7 defenseman types are more likely to get picked up if waived than the “youngish tweeners who were once good picks” that seem more attractive as commodities. Every team has youngish project players. An NHL GM/HC is more likely to want to tack on a proven “end of the bench” guy if they feel their team is heading into October lacking in depth.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I was curious because not sure how a goalie who has been injured the last few years and only played 3 games last year and spent lengthy time on the LTIR that last 4 years could be viewed a waiver gem
Not sure how many cups Mario Lemieux had before coming back after his layoff but Murray has 2 and looked better than Lemieux ever looked in one of those cup runs. Also he’s under 30.

• Haha
Reactions: calder candidate

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Barré-Boulet could be Marchessault 2.0 . Mark my word.

If he gets waived and then gets picked by like SJ and finds time with Celebrini, watch out.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I believe most Leafs fans hope Timmins gets claimed given his one-way contract, inability to stay healthy and sub-par NHL defending.
I don’t think Leafs fans care one way or the other about his one way contract.
Him making his full salary in the AHL is meaningless to the richest team in the league and his salary is fully bury able.

The fact that he just isn’t a good hockey player is why most of us won’t care if he is claimed.

Reactions: Captain34

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Potentially Solovyov & Pelletier from the Flames.

Neither should be waived but the Flames still have way too many vets around.
I can’t see them waiving Pelletier. If they do, think it might be later in the season, after giving him a fair shake. They still like him from everything I know.

He is one of those guys though, if he doesn’t have a good camp, a team might change their outlook on him. He’s in the Robertson and Berggren category for me though. Pretty sure they all get kept to start the season.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t think Leafs fans care one way or the other about his one way contract.
Him making his full salary in the AHL is meaningless to the richest team in the league and his salary is fully bury able.

The fact that he just isn’t a good hockey player is why most of us won’t care if he is claimed.

Although you’re right on most of your points, I have to nitpick and say he’d still have 100,000 counting against the cap if he’s waived. With us being so tight, I can agree most hope he’d get claimed. I feel the Leafs will go a different route and trade Kampf or Jarnkrok when he’s back from injury. For a cap team they’re both replaceable players making non replaceable player money (2.4 and 2.1). 4.5 total can be a game changer at the deadline.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Agreed on both Pelts and Duehr. Hunt is a claim possibility too, because well he's been a waiver claim before and is quite versatile and is the kinda guy coaches love.
Pelletier would have to play pretty bad to get placed on waivers IMO. Hanley will very likely be placed on waivers and I don't think Calgary would mind if he gets claimed (I could see Dallas grabbing him back due to familiarity). I could see Solo getting through waivers fairly easily though, I don't think teams will be as willing to take him due to his lack of NHL experience. I agree that there is a very decent chance Duehr gets waived though but I doubt he gets claimed. He was given the benefit of the doubt at the start of camp, basically his spot to lose on the 4th line but at the way things are going right now it will be very difficult to justify sending Coronato back down.
I suspect both Hanley and Tinordi are waived, I think the Flames know they could lose one, but it seems unlikely they'd have both claimed.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Not sure how many cups Mario Lemieux had before coming back after his layoff but Murray has 2 and looked better than Lemieux ever looked in one of those cup runs. Also he’s under 30.
what-the-f-did-i-just-read-what-the-f.gif

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Conor Timmins, Alex Steeves and Matt Murray for the Leafs.

Any of these three players, and/or Nik Robertson, might also get traded instead of waived if they don't fit on the Leafs' roster.

I don't see any others with a real chance of cracking an NHL roster here.

Murray as a gem? WOW

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wasnt Brown supposed to be the Desharnais replacement?

Why would the Oilers give him 3 yrs if their plan was to keep in the minors to mentor.
Broberg was supposed to be the Desharnais replacement. Stecher was supposed to be #7.

Why wouldn't a team want a veteran mentor for a few years instead of just 1? I see your point there, I personally wouldn't have signed him at all, but I can't imagine a scenario where he was signed to play daily.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, if you can't figure out which Matt Murray would be put on waivers by the Leafs, then it's not at all surprising that you can't figure this out either.
The real question is why anyone would bring up Matt Murray in a thread called 'Potential waiver GEMS' . Guy is absolute trash.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Pretty sure thanks to Mike Sullivan's infinite ignorance the Pens will have Valtteri Puustinen on waivers.

Others - Sam Poulin would be a reclamation project, for the love of hockey I hope someone claims Emil Bemstrom. Jesse Puljujarvi could also hit waivers. He just needs to play and not be used as a 13th.

If Aho keeps up this play, he could be on waivers as well.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle is like 4k of cap space and need to opening a bit just to have 22-23 players so its possible instead of paying a team to take a contract like Tanev we could waive and HOPE another team claims him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad