Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 40-50 pts.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • KHL career.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
MHL is in the same tier of USHL. Demidov at 17 years old put 2 pts per game, Jack Hughes at 17 years old in USHL, put 2 pts per game, but... play with Boldy, Zegras and Caufield.

That's impressive.

So what the potential of Ivan Demidov?

Screenshot_20240629_222034_Chrome.jpg

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He's not a Hughes caliber prospect because of his skating, but I think he could still end up a 80-90 point player.

Yeah you right with the skating of Demidov. Hughes is a better skater.

As a Habs fan, I would certainly be happy with a 80-90 pts caliber player. I really believe that Demidov can become that. Just the fact that MHL are view like a league like USHL and he put the same PPG than Jack Hughes, that's a good indicator of his high potential.

He is a hard worker, great attitude to become a fantastic player at NHL level. His skillset are too good to don't become the player everyone see in him.

He is the most closer to Mack Celebrini in this year draft.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Demidov would have been considered an 18 year old this past season. This was his U19 season that you're comparing to Hughes's U18 season.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Depends on what you define as potential I suppose. He's got the skillset of a guy who could hit 100+. More realistic potential is 80-90, which would be incredible.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I love this player, I think his high compete and his details aren't getting enough respect. He's a guy I want on my team in the playoffs.

I don't think 80 or 90 pts is unrealistic for Demidov. But he's not really a Kucherov type, you can really tell on the PP where I don't think Demidov is very special. He doesn't have that one touch sharpness that Kucherov (or Michkov) have. That could be the difference between him being a 75 pt guy and a 100 pt guy. I still overall would rather have Demidov than Michkov.

Also the US National Development team is not at all the same as regular USHL.

It's kind of a similar situation for SKA 1946 and the NTDP, now that you mention it. USHL and MHL are very similar opponents, with the same exact Desjardins equivalencies (how points in the league translates to higher levels). And SKA 1946 and NTDP win big a lot of the time and run up the score against the weaker clubs. Obviously NTDP also has the college part of their schedule too.

The best MHL clubs look like London Knights caliber teams that could win the memorial cup. I'd be really curious how SKA or Loko would look in that tournament. They're loaded. So both NTDP players and SKA 1946 players have opportunities to shine against very good competition. Demidov did shine in the MHL playoffs, though his point scoring rate was a good deal lower.

I don't see Jack Hughes as a good point of reference for Ivan Demidov. It's not just like he's Hughes without the speed, Demidov is a bigger, stronger, more competitive player. He'll pick up more points coming out of the dirty areas.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I love this player, I think his high compete and his details aren't getting enough respect. He's a guy I want on my team in the playoffs.

I don't think 80 or 90 pts is unrealistic for Demidov. But he's not really a Kucherov type, you can really tell on the PP where I don't think Demidov is very special. He doesn't have that one touch sharpness that Kucherov (or Michkov) have. That could be the difference between him being a 75 pt guy and a 100 pt guy. I still overall would rather have Demidov than Michkov.

It's kind of a similar situation for SKA 1946 and the NTDP, now that you mention it. USHL and MHL are very similar opponents, with the same exact Desjardins equivalencies (how points in the league translates to higher levels). And SKA 1946 and NTDP win big a lot of the time and run up the score against the weaker clubs. Obviously NTDP also has the college part of their schedule too.

The best MHL clubs look like London Knights caliber teams that could win the memorial cup. I'd be really curious how SKA or Loko would look in that tournament. They're loaded. So both NTDP players and SKA 1946 players have opportunities to shine against very good competition. Demidov did shine in the MHL playoffs, though his point scoring rate was a good deal lower.

I don't see Jack Hughes as a good point of reference for Ivan Demidov. It's not just like he's Hughes without the speed, Demidov is a bigger, stronger, more competitive player. He'll pick up more points coming out of the dirty areas.
Hughes was simply just a tier above as a prospect. And Demidov is probably a couple tiers below. It's as simple as this. If Ivan Demidov was as good a prospect as hughes, or even comparable, he would have went ahead of Macklin.

McDavid/Bedard
Matthews/Eichel/Hughes
Celebrini

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hughes was simply just a tier above as a prospect. And Demidov is probably a couple tiers below. It's as simple as this. If Ivan Demidov was as good a prospect as hughes, or even comparable, he would have went ahead of Macklin.

McDavid/Bedard
Matthews/Eichel/Hughes
Celebrini

I didn't have Hughes that high as a prospect.

He was a great program player, one of the best ever. But at the time there were more concerns about his size and whether he'd be able to handle the rigors of the NHL, very spindly kid. So he was a clear #1 pick in that draft but I think if that prospect was in this draft there'd be a lot of discussion of him and Celebrini.

And I think Demidov would be in the discussion with Celebrini too if it wasn't for the MHL factor, and of course the number of scouts that feel the need to see players in person.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

McDavid/Bedard
Matthews/Eichel/Hughes
Celebrini

Pretty sure Celebrini would have went before Hughes if they were in the same draft

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
His potential is Kaprizov. Kaprizov already has one 100+ point season, and in the last season when he fully recovered from injuries he was at 100+ point pace. So the answer is obvious.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He would not have
Hughes probably would've went first but it would've been a good debate at least. 112 points in 50 games for the USNDTP for Hughes and 64 points in 38 NCAA games for Celebrini. Hughes is seen as the elite skating offensive guy where as Celebrini is seen as the two-way, Toews-like player. Celebrini is barely bigger (height and weight), and both were May/June birthdays. Celebrini had a better WJC but that doesn't mean much considering the roles. Obviously Jack Hughes has become one of the best players in the NHL since but that's all hindsight...in terms of prospects at the day of the draft it comes down to which playing style you prefer.

Back to Demidov, I agree Kaprizov is the ceiling. All depends on the Habs system/his linemates and usage. Probably somewhere around 90-95 points in his peak, could also be higher if league scoring keeps trending up.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hughes probably would've went first but it would've been a good debate at least. 112 points in 50 games for the USNDTP for Hughes and 64 points in 38 NCAA games for Celebrini. Hughes is seen as the elite skating offensive guy where as Celebrini is seen as the two-way, Toews-like player. Celebrini is barely bigger (height and weight), and both were May/June birthdays. Celebrini had a better WJC but that doesn't mean much considering the roles. Obviously Jack Hughes has become one of the best players in the NHL since but that's all hindsight...in terms of prospects at the day of the draft it comes down to which playing style you prefer.

Back to Demidov, I agree Kaprizov is the ceiling. All depends on the Habs system/his linemates and usage. Probably somewhere around 90-95 points in his peak, could also be higher if league scoring keeps trending up.
I think there would have been some debate sure, but Jack was the better prospect. And there is really no debate between Jack and Demidov as prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad