Speculation: Potential ASG Format Change

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm not old enough to remember any of the A.S. games before Fox took over with the robots etc. in the mid 90's. I think the game at the Fleetcenter is actually the first one I remember watching on TV. I'd imagine there was some novelty to it prior to everyone having access to things like game center, youtube, NHL Network, Center Ice, even NBCSN. It may have been unique to see players that you didn't get to see much of otherwise. Now, there is total exposure.

Again, I'm guessing here because my earliest sports memories are from abour 1992, but prior to Interleage Play in baseball, I'm sure there was a novelty to seeing National League players if you were living in an American League city. So the question for me becomes, have All Star games in general just run their course?

So long as the event is marketable and continues to bring in cash, they won't be canceling it any time soon.

Good analysis. I'm much older than you and it was a different world prior to the advent of cable TV and then of course the Internet.

I remember looking forward to the ASG because it was one of the few times each year that I'd get to see guys like Marcel Dionne, Lanny MacDonald, etc.

Now you can see just about every shift of any player you want, which really makes a difference.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Just don't have it anymore. All-star games suck.

Skills competitions are fun to watch, keep that somehow, but no actual waste of time game.

NEVER NEVER NEVER do something as stupid as baseball and make the game "count." That was the worst decision MLB ever made. It is bull**** that the league that wins that game gets home-field and not the team with the best record.

All-star games are ridiculous and should just go away.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Why skip over 4on4? Or do that do that now? I never watch the damn thing other than the skills competition sometimes.

Why go to the extreme of 3on3? Why not try 4on4 for one year and see how it goes? Personally I'd eliminate the game entirely. It really doesn't have any appeal to me. With out at least some potential animosity or physicality between players it losses all entertainment value. And I hate to lose a player because someone decided to break ranks and throw a check at an unsuspecting/unprepared player.

I suppose it's a promotional thing for less than hardcore fans, so it's not going to cater to us.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Why skip over 4on4? Or do that do that now? I never watch the damn thing other than the skills competition sometimes.

Why go to the extreme of 3on3? Why not try 4on4 for one year and see how it goes? Personally I'd eliminate the game entirely. It really doesn't have any appeal to me. With out at least some potential animosity or physicality between players it losses all entertainment value. And I hate to lose a player because someone decided to break ranks and throw a check at an unsuspecting/unprepared player.

I suppose it's a promotional thing for less than hardcore fans, so it's not going to cater to us.

Exactly, the All Star Game is not for us. Just like Sweet Caroline at Fenway is not for true Red Sox fans.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They need to make one major change to the Skills Comp: less people on the ice.

During events I want the players on the bench, the participants on the ice, and thats it. Maybe two camera men, but they dont even know how to spotlight their players enough. The ice is too cluttered.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
vote me in to get rid of it. Never watch it. Last one I watched was when it was in Boston and Ray was MVP.

Skills contest is great expand on that and I will watch it all. forget having fans vote in the favorite players. Have each team send the fastest, hardest shot, most accurate shot and all that to the games regardless of the name recognition.

Have each team have a contest on their own to see who on their team makes the cut. Say hardest shot anyone 99 MPH plus average makes the cut, set standards for speed and accuracy and all that it would be awesome.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
vote me in to get rid of it. Never watch it. Last one I watched was when it was in Boston and Ray was MVP.

Skills contest is great expand on that and I will watch it all. forget having fans vote in the favorite players. Have each team send the fastest, hardest shot, most accurate shot and all that to the games regardless of the name recognition.

Have each team have a contest on their own to see who on their team makes the cut. Say hardest shot anyone 99 MPH plus average makes the cut, set standards for speed and accuracy and all that it would be awesome.

yup, i want to know who the fastest guy in the league is, not the fastest guy who made the all-star game

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
While I think the allstar game is a joke I don't think it should be competitive. It seems fun for the players & kids.
Besides it would be a huge blow if a star player got injured from a crushing hit during all star weekend.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I thought it was a disgrace last year. They were on their phones on the bench. Boring game without any effort. Definitely not like it used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad