Speculation: Potential 2022 Cap Casualties

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What’s JP looking for?
His QO is only 1.4m

Hard to say. Other Oilers fans claim it will be costly to re-sign him, but I don’t think he has lit it up enough to justify some huge payday.

On pace for a 50 point season, but played 90% of his time with either McD or Drai.

If it were me, I’d suggest 3.5-4 per on a 2-3 year deal.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ilya Mikhayev is unlikely to return to Toronto and will walk to UFA.

Leafs will likely keep Campbell and Mrazek gets dealt...some decent interest in him according to insiders recently but it's an off-season move.

Curious to see what happens with Dylan Strome...imagine Chicago still wants to recover an asset on him but the qualifying offer may be unappealing.

I really dont see anyone lining up for an overpaid backup

If the Leafs are lucky, maybe they can swing a LTIRetired contract for him though.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Kevin Hayes has an expiring nmc he's a guy who may possibly be moved. 4 years at 7 mil with the cap uncertainty could be challenging

Jvr also at 7 but for one year

If the flyers are really looking to make a splash in the summer these are the guys I think they'll move to free up space

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Kevin Hayes has an expiring nmc he's a guy who may possibly be moved. 4 years at 7 mil with the cap uncertainty could be challenging

If the flyers are really looking to make a splash in the summer these are the guys I think they'll move to free up space
if i were a flyer fan i'd be a little nervous with fletcher doing to much splashing

Reactions: Ragdoll

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Copp and Stastny are likely gone in WPG.
Need the cap to extend PLD

Maybe wrong thread to ask this but I've yet to get a solid answer.

Has their been any legit news regarding him wanting to sign long term or are the Jets just kikcking the can down the road like Kekäläinen is doing with Laine in Columbus?

I say trade 55 for younger and cheaper players if you can sign PLD long term.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa probably loses 1 or 2 of Killorn, McDonagh, Cirelli, Sergachev, or Cernak. i'd put money on Killorn at the top of the list and then a tie between Sergy and McDonagh depending who they value more. could also see some of the bottom 6 being moved like PEB or Colton.

It's Joseph who's going to be the one priced out. Those names will be kept for another run and then will depend on how much each are asking on their next deal to see who comes back. The available cap will resigning Palat and then fill the rest with Koepke, Fortier, Barre-Boulet and Perbix. Joseph has been making less than 1M his career and has produced well enough to get a raise. We just can't afford to pay him what he deserves as we need to keep the bottom 6 on ELC or around 1M. A team should give him 2.5 x 4 deal and a bigger role. Think he can be moved for a 2nd or 3rd depending on the team.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
With Canadian teams freaking out about Omicron and going no fans for a spell, I bet the cap stays at $81.5mm. No $1mm bump next year.

I realize you are from florida, so.... It's not the teams freaking out it's the government that makes the rules and have mandated the restrictions. I'm sure the teams will have as many fans in the buildings as it makes more money that way.

If the Leafs are lucky, maybe they can swing a LTIRetired contract for him though.

It is hard to believe but according to insiders teams are interested.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Maybe wrong thread to ask this but I've yet to get a solid answer.

Has their been any legit news regarding him wanting to sign long term or are the Jets just kikcking the can down the road like Kekäläinen is doing with Laine in Columbus?

I say trade 55 for younger and cheaper players if you can sign PLD long term.
There’s been speculation of a possible verbal agreement between him and Chevy, but nothing concrete or openly admitted, so it’s all just rumour at this point.
I think everyone agrees that they prefer to keep him, but if things stay as they are, that he’s the most likely to go for cap relief.
As for him wanting to resign, it falls it to that rumour catagory.

I agree that 55 should be the one to go, but Chevy won’t do that. Everything points to him being all in on Scheifele and Wheeler as the leadership center of this team.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
if i were a flyer fan i'd be a little nervous with fletcher doing to much splashing

Yeah don't worry we are.

Both are frontloaded too so the actual dollar amount is a little lower, for the budget teams out there.

JVR's salary next season is $4m with a $1m signing bonus.

Hayes's real salary for the next 4 seasons is $3.75m, $6.5m, $4.5m and $4.5m. Signing bonuses of $3.75m this summer and $1.25m in the last two years each. That's $24.5m over 4 years total, roughly $6.125m per year in real salary. If you move him after paying the first signing bonus it comes down to about $20.75m total, $5.18m per year. Much more palatable price for a team with some cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
One of Fiala/Dumba/Zuccarello will almost certainly have to be for Minnesota.

We could maybe stretch it for 1 more year if we were cool with letting Dumba/Fiala walk for nothing after 2022-23, or trade one of them at next year's TDL, which might be pretty tough to do depending on how the season is going.

Fiala would have 1 more RFA year left (needs contract).
Dumba would have 1 more year left at $6M and then UFA.
Zuccarello would have 2 more years left at $6M.

I think that it'll ultimately be Fiala as the odd man out.
We’ll send him on over at the draft :naughty:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tampa probably loses 1 or 2 of Killorn, McDonagh, Cirelli, Sergachev, or Cernak. i'd put money on Killorn at the top of the list and then a tie between Sergy and McDonagh depending who they value more. could also see some of the bottom 6 being moved like PEB or Colton.
Hoping Anaheim would be in on any of those first 4

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
? Trade Joseph and watch Palat walk, and you guys are fine.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He needs regular reps, we've rode Campbell pretty hard this season.

I don't think he's the type to sit for 1-2 weeks.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flames definitely can't fit everyone next year. Zadorov will 100% be gone. Probably one of Monahan/Lucic/Backlund will need to go to pay for Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mang getting raises.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Blackhawks cap wise really aren’t going to be squeezed this upcoming offseason but my guess is Kubalik might not get qualified. Strome for sure will be not qualified.
Both probably get traded by the deadline.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Vegas is very close to the cap in 22-23 already with Roy and Hague not under contract. That's the big cap crunch team this Summer, maybe sooner.

Other clubs like Carolina and Colorado (because of MacKinnon's upcoming mega contract) will have to make tough choices as neither can afford to retain everyone, but a couple notable players on both are expiring as UFAs.
Sakic has set up the Avs cap structure perfectly going into the 2022 off season when he can extend Mackinnon a year early to get some cost certainty.

This offseason Sakic will have ~$27.5m in capspace to work with, and only 12 players under contract on the NHL roster. At least one of Barron/Helleson should be able to make the jump next year to round out the D on an ELC as well to leave ~$26.5m for the forwards and goaltending.

The expectation among Avs fans is that Sakic will look to re-sign Nichuskin (up to $5m); Kuemper (~$5.5m); and Francouz (~$2m), which would eat up $12.5m and leave $14m for: two middle 6 wingers (~$8m); two bottom 6 forwards ($4m); and 13F + 7D (~$2m). Colorado has several notable forward prospects who are near NHL-ready who may make the jump to take some spots, like Kaut, Ranta, Olausson, Bowers, and Foudy.

The biggest losses will likely be Kadri and probably also Burakovsky, but the Avs are set up well to be able to absorb those losses.

upload_2022-2-10_13-5-57.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad