Post your most Searing Football Hot Takes

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My special hot takes. People tend to overrate players they grew up watching as a kid. As you become older you become more critical on recent players and their achievement.
That isn’t a hot take. Nostalgia is a real thing. We also tend to appreciate things more after we lose them.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Also my biggest pet peaves as an accountant reading about 'transfer fees' and general spending rules in football.

1- Transfer fee is useless, every transfer should be evaluated at their annual cost (transfer fees+bonuses+wages) / term of their contract.

2- Football transfers are turning into 'PSR / FFP' evasion scheme just like business are doing for tax evasion scheme.

3- I cannot belive to this day that players contracts + wages are not properly centralized and available to the public like in North America (I know they have CBA) but my point being finding real player wages is almost impossible and would be very beneficary for players to know so they can establish comparables and negociate better deal for themselves.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My MLS “hot take” (not sure if it’s a hot take) is that the league has completely outgrown the DP system and they need to trash that rule. They need to get rid of roster restrictions; there are too many teams in the league now to go limit itself like that.
They should do this for the health of the league. It's time.

Reactions: Gecklund and Savant

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
1. MLS is more entertaining than a ton of leagues around the world due to so few teams parking the bus and sitting in.
This is how I feel about the J-league. Went to Japan for work and got into watching the league since, it's way more entertaining then much of the European product.

Reactions: Gecklund

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Got a few more!

- 2020-21 Barcelona Femeni is the greatest club team in the history of the sport.
- 2004-05 Chelsea are the best team of the PL era.
- City's treble win was - at best - their third best team under Pep (unambiguously behind both 17-18 and 18-19)
- Casillas was easily on the same level as Buffon, and for a single game I'd probably take Casillas (this one shouldn't be a hot take, but I think Buffon's insane longevity and Casillas's relatively fast decline has made people forget how good he was)
- from 2014-2021, marco verratti was a top 5 midfielder
- Today, August 1, 2024, Mike Maignan is the best keeper in the world

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They should do this for the health of the league. It's time.
For sure - there are too many teams and the talent pool is diluting a bit. More teams are coming. If they want to take advantage of the Messi Boom and get talent in, the best way to do that is just to take the roster restrictions; ; that are so convoluted anyway; completely off. There should not be barriers to adding talent at this point. Owners are already way too comfortable about no promotion/relegation (which is never happening) so let them put their money where their mouth is and try and buy the best teams they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00