Line Combos: Post-preseason lines, who makes the cut?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Im totally fine with Armia on the 2nd line especially if he is the post Laval stint.
I think people are being overly harsh on Roy And his preseason he will be fine and wont be down in Laval for long and will get his spot on the 2nd line again.
It would be best for Roy to leave several liters of sweat on the Laval ice if he wants to re-integrate on the 2nd line. Specially after Laine comes back. The guy will not be entitled to top 6 minutes without working for it. Same should go for everyone on the roster.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
It would be best for Roy to leave several liters of sweat on the Laval ice if he wants to re-integrate on the 2nd line. Specially after Laine comes back. The guy will not be entitled to top 6 minutes without working for it. Same should go for everyone on the roster.
not insisting he's entitled to anything, He has Shown last year that he belongs at the NHLl level, a lackluster pre-season doesn't change that fact in the slightest.

If he plays the way he did in the time he had last year he will be back in the top 6 just based on the winger situation we have now with Laine out for a few months.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
ABB NHL stats last year: 39 games, 9 points, 11:11 avg TOI.
Dvorak stats last year : 30 games, 9 points, ~15m TOI.

Maybe they were were made for each others.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Have fun Lane.

To bring back the whole PP squad from the disastrous last season is a puzzling move.

Hope they interchange Matheson with Lane so he can get reps with capable players. The 2nd pp is vomit inducing.
Their plan for the pp to work is to change nothing and pray. This is quite sad.
This is not surprising though since they made zero adjustment during the season. It's a new form of coaching, I call it the "pious coaching".

Reactions: Gustave

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Roy did not have a great camp but I still think he's more useful than Anderson.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Their plan for the pp to work is to change nothing and pray. This is quite sad.
This is not surprising though since they made zero adjustment during the season. It's a new form of coaching, I call it the "pious coaching".
It’s fairly obvious that the plan is to eventually swap matheson and Hutson on the PP. anyone who is not dramatic knows that out of respect for vets, you start the rookie D on the second wave (unless they are generational talent). After a few games of drawing blanks, the coach will swap the QB.

Take a giant breather everyone

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Do people seriously think this team looks better than what we had at the start of last year?

Roster looks bad to be frank. Laine made the top 6 at least interesting. The bottom 6 is just awful. Guys like Heineman and Kapanen might be interesting some day, but are still young. The defense lacks experience but at least Hutson should be make it exciting. The goalies are ok. A lot of things will have to go well for this team to be "in the mix" when you look at how strong the conference is.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It’s fairly obvious that the plan is to eventually swap matheson and Hutson on the PP. anyone who is not dramatic knows that out of respect for vets, you start the rookie D on the second wave (unless they are generational talent). After a few games of drawing blanks, the coach will swap the QB.

We’ll be out of the playoff race by November most likely

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think a big part of the reason we can’t complete a pass is because 9/10 forwards on our team are right handed

And 3 of them are Armia, Anderson and Gallagher, ugh.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Anderson - Dach - Newhook
Armia - Evans - Kapanen
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Gallagher
B-B, Heineman

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

Primeau
Montembeault

Newhook is borderline a second liner ideally. Evans and Dvorak is poor depth on the bottom 6. Gallagher isn't an NHLer anymore. Pezzetta shouldn't be a regular. Armia is good, but I'm not sure he's a fit, not if the team has to keep Anderson/Gallagher. It's incredible that even with all that was shed, there's still so many players to get rid of.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
And 3 of them are Armia, Anderson and Gallagher, ugh.

Newhook is borderline a second liner ideally. Evans and Dvorak is poor depth on the bottom 6. Gallagher isn't an NHLer anymore. Pezzetta shouldn't be a regular. Armia is good, but I'm not sure he's a fit, not if the team has to keep Anderson/Gallagher. It's incredible that even with all that was shed, there's still so many players to get rid of.
We sold any vet who had a good contract, kept any vet we would have to pay to get rid of. Kind of makes sense but I’m tired of seeing this team suck

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don’t know how anyone anywhere can seriously include Matheson among those players.
This is not an argument that warrants pursuing. If someone can't understand the vital role that Matheson plays on this team, nothing I write here will convince them otherwise. Most importantly, both Hughes and MSL understands Matheson's importance. One of the main reasons Montreal remains competitive is the mobility of our defence. And Matheson is the most mobile defenceman we have. With a salary of less than $5 million per annum, Matheson and his 26 to 28 playing minutes per game and 60+ points per season is going nowhere.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
This is not an argument that warrants pursuing. If someone can't understand the vital role that Matheson plays on this team, nothing I write here will convince them otherwise. Most importantly, both Hughes and MSL understands Matheson's importance. One of the main reasons Montreal remains competitive is the mobility of our defence. And Matheson is the most mobile defenceman we have. With a salary of less than $5 million per annum, Matheson and his 26 to 28 playing minutes per game and 60+ points per season is going nowhere.
It’s a nonsense post. If Matheson was put on the markets many teams would be interested.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
This is legit the same ugly lineup than last season minus Hutson whos gonna have the leftovers second of Matheson pathetic QB on the PP.

Pretty dissapointing overall this off season. Laine injury what a big ouch but the fact that you remove him and the team is the exact same without him ... it's pathetic. Should have used picks to get rid of some contracts this offseason and try to bring inject new blood for new identity.

All I see is a line up that will be carried heavily by Suzuki Performances once again.

Reactions: habsfan891 and zx81

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
This is legit the same ugly lineup than last season minus Hutson whos gonna have the leftovers second of Matheson pathetic QB on the PP.

Pretty dissapointing overall this off season. Laine injury what a big ouch but the fact that you remove him and the team is the exact same without him ... it's pathetic. Should have used picks to get rid of some contracts this offseason and try to bring inject new blood for new identity.

All I see is a line up that will be carried heavily by Suzuki Performances once again.
Bottom 5 lottery pick, baby!!!!

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Buyouts for Anderson and Gallagher next offseason is all but guaranteed

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

You seriously think Hutson will solve all our pp problems? Come on. PP's problem is way deeper that Matheson's play at the point.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad