Line Combos: Post-preseason lines, who makes the cut?

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
That second powerplay unit is atrocious...the Laine injury has changed this team so drastically it's a real shame.

Can't wait for Demidov and Hage to join this team...we need depth on offence so bad, our defence is great at least.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Anderson - Dach - Newhook
Armia - Evans - Kapanen
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Gallagher
B-B, Heineman

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

Primeau
Montembeault
Looks like this is on-the-mark so far.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Urgh I really hate that PP2 unit. I'd rather they just go 2 D and put Barron, Xhekaj or Guhle on that unit instead of Gallagher at this point.

EDIT: Unless they collectively level up to the point Suzuki is pacing for 90+ I also hope that they break up the top line fairly soon. I still really like that line on its own merits but I think we should spread the talent out a bit more with Laine injured. Suzuki and Slafkovsky are both good enough dual threats that they don't "need" Caufield, but I think Caufield-Dach could really pop as a duo.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Looks like this is on-the-mark so far.
It makes sense to me.
Dvorak hasn't done much of anything to warrant a bump from that 4th line which was where he ended up last season.
The third line also makes sense for the kid and for the Chemistry Evans and Armia had last year.
Anderson sticks out like a sore thumb but who else with Roy gone.
Kapanen eventually I guess if he shows well.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I guess it makes sense to send down Roy if they feel he wasn't trying in the pre season. Have to reward effort as well as talent. He can easily be called up and waive Pezzetta or Barre-Boulet

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That second powerplay unit is atrocious...the Laine injury has changed this team so drastically it's a real shame.

Can't wait for Demidov and Hage to join this team...we need depth on offence so bad, our defence is great at least.
Our defence is great?

We have a mobile defence that will, like last year, keep us competitive. But if they trade Matheson and Savard, like so many here are calling for, this team will challenge for drafting first overall next spring. Our depth at defence is somewhat illusory.

The salvation for this team will not come from our defence, but the wave of highly skilled forwards (Demidov, Hage, Beck, etc.) that will be here in two years, the development the young talent already here and those 3 first round and 4 second round picks Hughes accumulated over the next two years.

It will be an interesting year (Hutson alone will insure that ) but we are still two years away from being a serious contender.

I'm closing in on 80. If I can wait, so can all of you.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It makes sense to me.
Dvorak hasn't done much of anything to warrant a bump from that 4th line which was where he ended up last season.
The third line also makes sense for the kid and for the Chemistry Evans and Armia had last year.
Anderson sticks out like a sore thumb but who else with Roy gone.
Kapanen eventually I guess if he shows well.
That line should be the 4th line.
ABB never played higher than the 4th line in the few NHL games he played.
Dvorak finished last season on the 4th and looks even slower this year.
Anderson should be on the 4th line, but for some reasons MSL always play him 14-16 minutes.

It's just vets having their "show me what you got now that the real season is starting" freebies.

The 1st line + Dach will have a lots of work to do to carry this team.

Reactions: Rapala

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Didn't expect the Roy cut either, specially with how shallow we are.
Hopefully that lights a fire up his ass like it did Armia.

Dach will have his work cut out on the 2nd line.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Our defence is great?

We have a mobile defence that will, like last year, keep us competitive. But if they trade Matheson and Savard, like so many here are calling for, this team will challenge for drafting first overall next spring. Our depth at defence is somewhat illusory.

The salvation for this team will not come from our defence, but the wave of highly skilled forwards (Demidov, Hage, Beck, etc.) that will be here in two years, the development the young talent already here and those 3 first round and 4 second round picks Hughes accumulated over the next two years.

It will be an interesting year (Hutson alone will insure that ) but we are still two years away from being a serious contender.

I'm closing in on 80. If I can wait, so can all of you.

I didn't mean great this year, but it's one of the best D prospect groups in the league (IMO) and best I can remember us having.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Anderson - Dach - Newhook
Armia - Evans - Kapanen
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Gallagher
B-B, Heineman

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

Primeau
Montembeault
If we go by merits Anderson should never spend any time on a top 6 ever again.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hutson will be PP QB by US Thanksgiving latest IMO … and who knows perhaps as early as Wednesday..
I don't think he's replacing Matheson that soon, you know how coaches treat veteran players and there isn't anything wrong with bringing him along slowly.

Edit: My bad, I was thinking Canadian Thanksgiving.

Armia Anderson Gallagher are just killing the lineup. Three roster spots taken up by 3 washed up players
Armia needs a contract at the end of the season, if he wants to stay in the NHL he will need to perform this year. He will score 20 if he's healthy.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
Im totally fine with Armia on the 2nd line especially if he is the post Laval stint.
I think people are being overly harsh on Roy And his preseason he will be fine and wont be down in Laval for long and will get his spot on the 2nd line again.

• Haha
Reactions: Habby4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad