Line Combos: Post-preseason lines, who makes the cut?

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
I agree with the cuts.

I like Anderson on the 2nd line.
There are two types of forwards. Scorers and bangers. Scorers score and bangers bang.
If Andy bangs, Dach can focus on scoring.
My issue with Anderson on the 2nd line is that plays tend to die on his stick. He loses board battles and his shots now miss the net entirely. He can bang around on the bottom 6 where scoring isn't mandatory.

Reactions: zeeto

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm glad management can veer away from hypothetical merit as opposed to real on-ice performances. If it's true anyhow. I'm also glad the coaching staff agrees at least in part that preseason games are meaningful and should be taken seriously. Cutting someone who's waiver exempt and does not give at least 100% effort on the ice is a good coaching move.

You may get a break from my harshest critiques Marty, for a bit of time :naughty:

Reactions: Trabdy2

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm glad management can veer away from hypothetical merit as opposed to real on-ice performances. If it's true anyhow. I'm also glad the coaching staff agrees at least in part that preseason games are meaningful and should be taken seriously. Cutting someone who's waiver exempt and does not give at least 100% effort on the ice is a good coaching move.

You may get a break from my harshest critiques Marty, for a bit of time :naughty:
To a point, obviously..

Anderson/Gallagher/Dvo would probably be on the chopping block at some point if we were going by true merit.

But I get what you mean, it is refreshing to see.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I didn't watch a lot of action but what I did watch left me expecting much more from Joshua Roy. He only has a handful of NHL games and has plenty to prove. He may have been nursing an injury because he didn't look ready to win a spot.
I think he was just lazy... :laugh:

There are several sequences where he looks like Lats in preseason.. A player can't afford to pull that when he's waiver exempt.

To a point, obviously..

Anderson/Gallagher/Dvo would probably be on the chopping block at some point if we were going by true merit.

But I get what you mean, it is refreshing to see.
No because of contract, they're not waiver exempt. That's what a Union does to an enterprise, it brings a Meritocracy based on experience.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is the the six million dollar question.
I think we all know Hutson will have an influence on the O side but we still have to put the puck in the net.
For all the things he did well in camp we fell short of that IMO.

Can't base anything on that as he was used as a #1D and had half the top 6.

On a second pairing, with the dynamic of a full lineup, we'll see the Hutson of the two last games vs Detroit.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It's not all on Marty.
Gorton Hughes and probably some of the player development people all get their say.
Hughes told us it would be group think from his very first presser and there is no reason to doubt him.
If Marty really pushes he may get something he wants but why would he in this case.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'd say Dach and Newhook have the pressure pretty high, since they don't have core contracts, and we're targeting both their roster spots with Demidov, Hage, Beck, Kapanen, etc...

I'm talking about pressure of outside expectations. Dach probably has his own internal pressures of wanting to contribute, but no one is saying he needs to get 70 pts to have a good season, or Newhook.

Both just need to stay healthy and help with secondary scoring options. That's not close to what expectations are for the top line or Montembeault. Much, much more is expected of them.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can't base anything on that as he was used as a #1D and had half the top 6.

On a second pairing, with the dynamic of a full lineup, we'll see the Hutson of the two last games vs Detroit.
The -2 guy?
I hope and expect him to be better than that.
I'm not going to pretend there weren't defensive lapses because there were plenty.
There is no way in the world he'll get to play as loose to start the season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Montreal has already submitted their roster to NHL: Roy, Dobes, Engstrom & Mailloux are no longer rostered. Just not announced yet.

Kapanen, ABB & Heineman stick.

14F, 7D, 2G.
They already announced everything. I posted it earlier in this thread.

P.S they are still over the cap, so they will have to paper somebody down. Xhekaj the ideal candidate (long explanation)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The -2 guy?
I hope and expect him to be better than that.
I'm not going to pretend there weren't defensive lapses because there were plenty.
There is no way in the world he'll get to play as loose to start the season.

The lapses are expected for a player with a big 2 game experience.

Expecting him to be super efficient out of the gate is just typical overcritical hfhabs.

Just enjoy talent getting infused instead of focusing on anything negative you can put your finger on.

Did you watch him in Boston? I did. He'll get better all-around as he gains experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad