Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm guessing one of Morrow/Jones will be cut, didn't think they needed another depth LB.
I think there’s a good chance Milano starts the year on PUP. Also, given how their season ended, I bet they keep six LB instead of 5 this year. One of them can have Neal’s roster spot.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

sorry der jaeger

Cheap deal, market must really not be there for the FAs left unsigned. Remaining options:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 12.18.38 AM.png

MVS is probably my favorite option. He's a one trick pony, but he does that one thing well. A lot of them are slot only which I wouldn't be very interested in.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cheap deal, market must really not be there for the FAs left unsigned. Remaining options:

View attachment 863954

MVS is probably my favorite option. He's a one trick pony, but he does that one thing well. A lot of them are slot only which I wouldn't be very interested in.
If Chark is getting $5m, i can only assume that some of the other names mentioned (Boyd, OBJ, MVS) will get more & the Bills can't afford that.

I really think that there's no major additions before camp starts. If Beane really doesn't like where they are then maybe we see a trade or something? Maybe a move for someone that's about to be cut?

Chark was the last currently available UFA that made any sense to me (cost + skill set) & he's now off the table.

Reactions: HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Chark is getting $5m, i can only assume that some of the other names mentioned (Boyd, OBJ, MVS) will get more & the Bills can't afford that.

I really think that there's no major additions before camp starts. If Beane really doesn't like where they are then maybe we see a trade or something? Maybe a move for someone that's about to be cut?

Chark was the last currently available UFA that made any sense to me (cost + skill set) & he's now off the table.
Given the current cap situation, I have always felt that a UFA was way more likely than a trade. At least when they sign a guy, they can add void years to get the contract to fit. With a trade, that is harder because they need to fit the contract under the cap BEFORE redoing the deal. That is going to be really challenging for any WR that has any sort of contract that comes with a cap hit for the Bills that is $10M+.

The Bills have about $3M in cap space today. If they are talking to a FA WR today, my guess is that they have a handshake deal that will be finalized after 6/1 when they get the Tre White cap savings.

But even then, with around $3M going to the rookies and Beane wanting $5-6M for in-season moves, they only have $4-5M in cap space for any additions whether it is at EDGE or WR. That is not a lot of space if people expect a meaningful add to the roster.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
If cap space can be carried over from year to year, there's nothing wrong with carrying a bit over for next year when Josh Allen's cap-hit balloons from 30 to 60 million. Yeah, Von's cap will come off the books after Beane cuts him, but the very next year Rousseau, Bernard, Sharkir and Benford will all be looking for significant raises; I'm sure Beane will need every bit of it, along with whatever cap space comes along with cutting Knox (and the general Cap inflation that takes place year after year.) Besides, it's not like anyone Beane acquires is going to move the needle at this point.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

View attachment 863954

Wouldn't mind Gage if the medicals check out, but he's probably not going to be back to full strength until 2025

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If cap space can be carried over from year to year, there's nothing wrong with carrying a bit over for next year when Josh Allen's cap-hit balloons from 30 to 60 million. Yeah, Von's cap will come off the books after Beane cuts him, but the very next year Rousseau, Bernard, Sharkir and Benford will all be looking for significant raises; I'm sure Beane will need every bit of it, along with whatever cap space comes along with cutting Knox (and the general Cap inflation that takes place year after year.) Besides, it's not like anyone Beane acquires is going to move the needle at this point.
Unused cap space does not roll over to the following season. It is use it or lose it.

What does roll over is dead cap (like with the post-6/1 cut of Tre White) and Not Likely To Be Earned bonuses that were earned.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Unused cap space does not roll over to the following season. It is use it or lose it.

What does roll over is dead cap (like with the post-6/1 cut of Tre White) and Not Likely To Be Earned bonuses that were earned.
Okay, I thought there was a rule that allowed it, but I wasn't sure what it was exactly.

Thank you.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

View attachment 863954

I'd be happy to sign Simmons. Have to wonder if he's forced to go the Floyd route, and sign a 1 year deal with a contender. He'd be a great mentor for Bishop.

The bigger need is a good pass rushing DE, but Im not sure there's one available for a cheap contract who guarantees good pass rushing.

Simmons doesn't peak your interest? Seens like a great mentor for Bishop, but it'd have to be a deal like Floyd's last year.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

I'm pretty sure I have heard Beane talk about rolling over what cap is left prior to the end of their season.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Claypool is always intriguing. Likely won't materialize into anything but 6'4, 240 lbs with a couple of productive seasons not too far back at least is worth a shot.

Unfortunately, it seems like his character issues are always the problem.
yeah, guys a dolt. I guess one positive, if there is one is this might be his last shot. Big dude, terrible run blocking WR tho. But can he separate!? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: buffalowing88

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

This is not true, teams have the option to designate unused cap to the following season (ARTICLE 13 SALARY CAP ACCOUNTING RULES).

1714749250606.png

That is why we see tweets like this one by Field Yates every offseason:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Given the current cap situation, I have always felt that a UFA was way more likely than a trade. At least when they sign a guy, they can add void years to get the contract to fit. With a trade, that is harder because they need to fit the contract under the cap BEFORE redoing the deal. That is going to be really challenging for any WR that has any sort of contract that comes with a cap hit for the Bills that is $10M+.

The Bills have about $3M in cap space today. If they are talking to a FA WR today, my guess is that they have a handshake deal that will be finalized after 6/1 when they get the Tre White cap savings.

But even then, with around $3M going to the rookies and Beane wanting $5-6M for in-season moves, they only have $4-5M in cap space for any additions whether it is at EDGE or WR. That is not a lot of space if people expect ameaningful add to the roster.
Bolded - I'd made the same arguement against @Husko a little earlier in the thread.

Do you really think they're signing street FAs in June to multi year deals with void years? That seems far fetched.

When i mentioned trades above, im thinking guys still on a rookie deal who might be struggling / in need of a change in scenary. I don't think the chances of it happening are high & i think we'll go into the summer with more or less what we have.

Simmons doesn't peak your interest? Seens like a great mentor for Bishop, but it'd have to be a deal like Floyd's last year.
I was specifically referring to WRs in that OP.

I think if we add a 'big name' FA at this point it will be Emmanuel Ogbah.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
And Claypool is maybe half a rung at best ahead of Kelvin Benjamin at this point.

He's literally at the bottom of the depth chart as far as im concerned. Training camp body.

Smoot is potentially a solid signing though. 3-4 type DE that I guess they could use in a Shaq Lawson-esque tweener role.

Deion Jones seems like another camp body - but if they need insurance for Milano it doesn't hurt to have an experienced guy in a very young room.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bolded - I'd made the same arguement against @Husko a little earlier in the thread.

Do you really think they're signing street FAs in June to multi year deals with void years? That seems far fetched.

When i mentioned trades above, im thinking guys still on a rookie deal who might be struggling / in need of a change in scenary. I don't think the chances of it happening are high & i think we'll go into the summer with more or less what we have.

I was specifically referring to WRs in that OP.

I think if we add a 'big name' FA at this point it will be Emmanuel Ogbah.
They did with Floyd, right? Not that I’m expecting it this year nor do I see a player necessarily worth it out there.

Will be interesting to see what the money is on the three signings. Claypool is an interesting bet on talent. He’s proven to have starting ability not too long ago, but is seemingly a head case. Surprised they took a swing in someone like him, but I don’t dislike it. If he ends up being too much trouble to be worth the headache, they just cut him. If he figures it out, it’s a nice discount on legit talent.

Jones is nice bottom of depth chart insurance. Good to have especially since Milano might start the year on PUP.

I really like the Smoot signing. Sack production was low last year, but a nice rotational pass rush option who can also rush from the LB position. We haven’t had that since Lorenzo.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Claypool is always intriguing. Likely won't materialize into anything but 6'4, 240 lbs with a couple of productive seasons not too far back at least is worth a shot.

Unfortunately, it seems like his character issues are always the problem.
Mitch Trubisky had a front row viewing to the crazy WR room in Pittsburgh, so he must have given a passing endorsement on Claypool. He certainly balances out the good vibes that seem to be coming from Shakir and Coleman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad