Post 2005/2006: Top 5 worst contracts given

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I remember getting shouted down when I suggested Buffalo should deal Skinner a year or two ago when he actually was having a decent season and the Sabres wouldn't have had to eat much contract and maybe get a prospect back. But everyone wanted to keep him around to mentor the youngsters with his leadership (?) ability. Sigh.

My Best-Carey

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was Redden's that bad, really?

Looking back, it's not even the Rangers contract that has bothered me the most over the years.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Ville Leino 6 years $27mil
$4.5mil avv:
1.666 goals, 6 assists, 7.666 points per season
Even if you round up Leino's points to an even 8 points/season, it still doesn't look very good.

Also, Christian Ehrhoff's 40 million over ten seasons in 2011 was a bad one, too for Buffalo.

My Best-Carey

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I remember getting shouted down when I suggested Buffalo should deal Skinner a year or two ago when he actually was having a decent season and the Sabres wouldn't have had to eat much contract and maybe get a prospect back. But everyone wanted to keep him around to mentor the youngsters with his leadership (?) ability. Sigh.

My Best-Carey

Do you refer to NMC holding Jeff Skinner who doesn't want to play outside of Buffalo or Toronto? Tough contract to deal imo.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony

Looking back, it's not even the Rangers contract that has bothered me the most over the years.

It would have been an issue had the rangers not been able to demote him to the minors. At the time sending him down the ahl was able to save the rangers cap space which they used on other players. That tactic no longer works

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Probably nothing beats DiPietro (they're still paying him a lot) and Bryzgalov, but I do remember this Redden one being really terrible.

Didn't he spend, like, half this contract in the minors?

Dipietro's injuries are why the deal was so bad. $4.5million AAV to lock up an all-star caliber goaltender for their entire career isn't the worst deal if we're being honest. His real injury problems came during the all-stars skills competition after he already signed the extension. In hindsight it was awful but I can't really fault the Islanders for signing it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I mean it was bad, but the way the cap worked for players demoted to the A at the time it was utterly irrelevant. IMO most of the worst ones came after that loophole simply because the impact they could have on a team was just simply significantly bigger. Once that was closed in the CBA negotiations for the shortened season teams had to get a bit more creative to get away with similar levels of bullshit: IE Robidas Island, Stone's "convenient" injury and return from LTIR timing, etc.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

My Best-Carey

It was more the ntc and the fact that he didn’t have value then, either. At best he’s like an 8 mil winger being paid 9 mil, no matter what getting rid of him would cost us.

His play fell of a cliff, if I recall correctly. Just suddenly very bad for his new team after years of being underrated. A Vlasicing.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
At first I though we were talking about Stu Skinner and I was confused but I figured out we were talking about Jeff Skinner

Nurse but he's overpaid only by like $3M per year

Campbell maybe as he's making 5 and he's not even in the NHL

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Tavares's contract ruined the Leafs' window. How has it not been mentioned

Because Tavares produces, even tho it's not as much as you want

We're talking about the Crème de la crème here

"Scott Gomez didn't have a goal in more than a year at 7 000 000+/year" bad

Tavares ain't close of that

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Because Tavares produces, even tho it's not as much as you want

We're talking about the Crème de la crème here

"Scott Gomez didn't have a goal in more than a year at 7 000 000+/year" bad

Tavares ain't close of that

It depends what your goal is, if it's to win Stanley Cups, Tavares's contract absolutely is the worst.

I guess Leafs fans has to keep arguing that his contract isn't that bad.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It depends what your goal is, if it's to win Stanley Cups, Tavares's contract absolutely is the worst.

I guess Leafs fans has to keep arguing that his contract isn't that bad.

I disagree

And you should too: The TML had Clarkson at one point, who is infintely worse than Tavares contract, whatever the way you look at it lol

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I disagree

And you should too: The TML had Clarkson at one point, who is infintely worse than Tavares contract, whatever the way you look at it lol

Tavares contract set the table for Matthews, Marner, Nylander.

Together, Leafs could probably have saved $15m from all four had Tavares signed something like a $7.5m contract.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
IMG_1807.png
IMG_1807.png
IMG_1807.png
Anyone this guy lobbied for!!

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
The Kings have a big decision to make here. If they buy him out this year before his 26th birthday, they only have to pay 1/3 of his remaining salary (and 100% of his bonus). They can save $31.67 million (although the cap hit will be spread over the next 14 years. However, if they wait until after this year, they would have to pay 2/3 of his salary, which would result in a savings of only $13M (with penalty spread over 12 years). Making it even trickier, according to Friedman, if the Stanley Cup playoffs go the maximum number of days, the buyout window might not open until the day of PLD's 26th birthday. It's a bit of a mess.
Thanks for sharing, that is interesting.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Rick DiPietro is probably the most hilarious contract I've ever seen. He's going to be paid $1.5m per year (not counted against the cap) until 2029 and was signed before the first iPhone came out.

Pretty goid deal if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad