News Article: possible transactions

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Every so often I'll google "red wings trade rumors" just to see/read what the talks are

Found a link with a few proposals and felt like sharing to see the feedback

It listed 3 trades

Vanek to the kings for
Rw matt luff (ohl)
2017 2nd
2018 2nd

Smith and jurco to Ottawa

For curtis lazar c/rw
2017 3rd

And green to carolina
For ryan murphy
Rw sergey tolchinski
2017 2nd

Here was the link

I have very little interest in any of those deals. If I'm selling Green and Vanek... I'm holding onto them for a bigger price than either of those. Particularly with Green being our best D man right now and Vanek likely being the best rental forward available.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I have very little interest in any of those deals. If I'm selling Green and Vanek... I'm holding onto them for a bigger price than either of those. Particularly with Green being our best D man right now and Vanek likely being the best rental forward available.

I would do the smith and jurco one pretty easily

as for the other two, if we move both we better get at least 1 first round pick in return(more likely from moving green)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
If we're moving Green. We're getting a 1st. If we're moving Vanek, we're getting a 1st.

That's always been the asking price for players like that at the deadline. Why is it when the Wings are selling their players don't warrant the same as past years?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Two second's for Vanek is solid, IMO.

No interest in the other deals. I think Green should return a 1st, and I'm only trading him if he does.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Would love to get 1st's for both but my faith in kenny doing good trades is pretty low.

In fact i would be happy that he actually pulled the trigger, knowing him he won't do anything and just say "i couldn't find anything i was looking for" and hold on to them.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah I'll echo the other posters by saying I'd like a first. That being said I'd be ok with the Kings deal. Two seconds is pretty good value and it spreads our draft picks out. I'd still prefer a first.

My counter-proposals:
Vanek@50% to Chicago for 2018 1st

Green to Edmonton for 2017 1st and Caleb Jones/lesser prospect

Same deal with Ottawa. I like great one.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I'm not sure I see anyone paying what it would take for us to part with Green. Would prefer a 1st for Vanek but wouldn't complain about 2 seconds.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm not sure I see anyone paying what it would take for us to part with Green. Would prefer a 1st for Vanek but wouldn't complain about 2 seconds.

1st, 3rd and a top prospect works for me. I don't really want to trade him though.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
1st, 3rd and a top prospect works for me. I don't really want to trade him though.

Green's value is lower than it would normally be because of the expansion draft. Wings will get max value if they protect him and wait until the summer to move him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The sooner there starts to be a separation between buyers and sellers, the more it helps boost value. Right now, everybody except Colorado and Arizona is still in the mix, so nobody is anxious to do anything, especially with the expansion draft looming. Hopefully things are clearer in 3 weeks.

Assuming there's a better market at the end of the month, they still have a chance to get a first rounder for Vanek, and I'd hold out to the 11th hour trying to get one. But if they exhaust every option, and two 2nd rounders is the best deal on the table, absolutely take it.

Green is another matter, since there's arguments on both sides for whether his value would peak now or next year. I guess see if you can find a sucker to pony up, but if you can't, try again next year.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would hold out for a first on Vanek we need a better prospect pool with first round picks and less project players.

Smith and Jurco just time to move on whatever we can get lets take it

Green needs to go for a first if its not offered then we try again next year.

No interest in Tolchinski. I like him as a player but we don't need more small project wingers we need elite talent and more urgently at C and D

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
We need picks. Otherwise we'll overpay for any established player/prospect. Next years draft is deep so if we could get a couple firsts we'd be going into this rebuild strong

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The sooner there starts to be a separation between buyers and sellers, the more it helps boost value. Right now, everybody except Colorado and Arizona is still in the mix, so nobody is anxious to do anything, especially with the expansion draft looming. Hopefully things are clearer in 3 weeks.

I feel exactly the opposite is true.

Let 25 teams feel like they're in the mix. Let the Wings be one of the few teams who recognize we're in sell mode and sell. Fewer teams selling + more teams buying = higher prices.

That's what we want, isn't it? I don't want separation. I want 29 teams to feel like they've got a chance and for the Wings to be the only seller.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Let 25 teams feel like they're in the mix. Let the Wings be one of the few teams who recognize we're in sell mode and sell. Fewer teams selling + more teams buying = higher prices.

That's what we want, isn't it? I don't want separation. I want 29 teams to feel like they've got a chance and for the Wings to be the only seller.

Let's stop and think about this from the other perspective. How would you feel about Holland "buying" right now? This board would have a meltdown if he gave up futures for players. The teams sitting 17-25 would not have anymore interest in being a buyer right now, than we do.

There will not be 25 buyers now because any smart GM is going to take the wait and see which side of the coin their team falls on just like Holland is doing.

So while the concept of taking advantage of "25 teams feel(ing) like they are in the Mix" is nice in theory its disingenuous to reality.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I see what you're saying, but the expansion protection is a huge factor. If that many teams are still in flux, it likely means that nobody is playing all that great, and not many teams will like their chances in the playoffs by adding one more piece, versus the liability of whom they protect in June.

There's points to both sides, but I'm guessing that Green is sticking around until at least this summer, and Vanek is the only guy they'd give much thought to moving at the deadline. We'll see.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
In regards to OP, I align with the consensus here. Assuming they don't go a run here, I'd hold out for a 1st in exchange for Vanek but could settle for this proposal. I'd do the Jurco, Smith/Lazar swap and have no interest in the Green proposal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Let's stop and think about this from the other perspective. How would you feel about Holland "buying" right now? This board would have a meltdown if he gave up futures for players. The teams sitting 17-25 would not have anymore interest in being a buyer right now, than we do.

There will not be 25 buyers now because any smart GM is going to take the wait and see which side of the coin their team falls on just like Holland is doing.

So while the concept of taking advantage of "25 teams feel(ing) like they are in the Mix" is nice in theory its disingenuous to reality.

It's still preferable to have 25 teams in the "wait and see" and only 5 teams selling versus 15 buyers and 15 sellers. The number of contenders and buyers likely remains static, but the fewer sellers there are the better return we can hope to get.

And my post was about the ideal, not what actually occurs. Ideally we'd want as many buyers as possible and as few sellers. So anyone saying they want "separation" is only hurting the sellers, us.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I'd do the Ottawa deal. I've proposed a deal with Carolina that they're fans seemed to be in favor of where we send Nyquist+Sheahan and receive Haydn Fleury+Phil Di Giuseppe+2nd.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad