Possible Trade Ideas Volume Ocho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If the Wild do very litte this summer, I have this, which could be even less if Granlund doesn't make the team out of camp.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Jason Pominville ($4.505m)
Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.975m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Mikael Granlund ($2.100m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.250m)
Stephane Veilleux ($0.588m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jonas Brodin ($1.444m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Jared Spurgeon ($1.600m)
Nate Prosser ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mark Parrish ($0.928m)
Buyout: Mike Rupp ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,958,034; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $166,966

If you're talking about mine I fail to see how saying Spurgeon is the most likely of the four to be back is preposterous.

That's not what you said.

Billy Mays Here*

That's not what you said.

Not sure what you're getting at with this. If you're talking about the money for Spurgeon part of my statement, I don't think around $2 million a year for him is out of the question. $2.5 at an absolute max (though I certainly hope he doesn't get that much). He's a capable puck mover who will put up 25-30 points in a full season and is sound defensively, though not physically.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Not sure what you're getting at with this. If you're talking about the money for Spurgeon part of my statement, I don't think around $2 million a year for him is out of the question. $2.5 at an absolute max (though I certainly hope he doesn't get that much). He's a capable puck mover who will put up 25-30 points in a full season and is sound defensively, though not physically.

Guaranteeing Backstrom, Cullen, and Clutterbuck are all gone for next year.

I don't think Spurgeon gets more than $1.75m.

Billy Mays Here*

Guaranteeing Backstrom, Cullen, and Clutterbuck are all gone for next year.

I don't think Spurgeon gets more than $1.75m.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I said they're non-guarantees to be back, not that they'd for sure be gone. Maybe you and I have differentiating definitions of non-guarantee, but I don't define it as a sure thing, just a possibility.

Billy Mays Here*

Considering the recent news that Philly WILL NOT be buying out Bryz, I'm curious to see why they're still pursuing Bernier so hard. My only guess is they would roll with him and Bryz, and if Bernier outperforms Bryz this coming season, then he gets bought out next off-season using their other amnesty buyout (it's been confirmed that Briere will be bought out after the finals end).

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Considering the recent news that Philly WILL NOT be buying out Bryz, I'm curious to see why they're still pursuing Bernier so hard. My only guess is they would roll with him and Bryz, and if Bernier outperforms Bryz this coming season, then he gets bought out next off-season using their other amnesty buyout (it's been confirmed that Briere will be bought out after the finals end).

I'm guessing that buying out Bryz is still on the table. If they can deal a guy like Meszaros + Read for Letang, and if they can deal #7 + something for Bernier.

And anyway, the Wild are one of the top-5 teams in on Bernier, according to LeBrun.

Five teams that sources indicate are in the mix on Bernier, to varying degrees: the Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild and Florida Panthers.

For the Wild, it really depends on what happens with pending UFA netminder Niklas Backtrom. If they can sign him in short order, then they would bow out of the Bernier mix. But if it appears they can’t re-sign Backstrom, they can go harder after Bernier or other possible netminders.

Link

Billy Mays Here*

I'd laugh if Fletcher traded a guy like Zucker for Bernier.

You're approaching SoH territory, turn back now.

Why would we want Bernier ? And isn't Philly buying out Briere and Bryzgalov.

Briere has already been notified that he will be bought out after the finals end during the buyout period. Bryzgalov, from what it sounds like so far, will not be bought out.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130619_Flyers_mulling_options_at_goaltender.html

Billy Mays Here*

Bryzgalov isn't the problem with Philly. They could make nearly any goaltender they employ look bad.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why the **** would GMCF do that? He's not dumb.

No, but a lot of his trades are about trading long term potential for short term gains. If he truly believes that goaltending is his number 1 priority in the off-season and doesn't see us retaining Backstrom or getting a solid starter for cheap on the market, he might covet Bernier, as he could be the best starter out on the market. Given the rumors out of Philadelphia (Matt Read, Sean Courturier, 1st round pick) and New York, Minnesota doesn't have a lot of viable trade chips that would entice Los Angeles. If GMCF sees Minnesota being a goaltender away from competing for the playoffs annually, he might let Zucker go and pray that he can retain both Seto and Poms long term but that won't be until next year and next year's problems shouldn't be today's problems. Today's problems is getting a goaltender.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Jason Pominville ($4.505m)
Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.975m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Mikael Granlund ($2.100m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.250m)
Stephane Veilleux ($0.588m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jonas Brodin ($1.444m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Jared Spurgeon ($1.600m)
Nate Prosser ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mark Parrish ($0.928m)
Buyout: Mike Rupp ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,958,034; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $166,966

That defense looks mighty thin, especially if there is an injury.

Also I feel like we're rehashing DR's day as GM where we are putting players in position to fail, not to succeed (Coyle at center) due to having very little flexibility.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Bryzgalov isn't the problem with Philly. They could make nearly any goaltender they employ look bad.

Exactly! Goaltending is horribly overrated. Bryzgalov was brilliant under Tippett and very good under Carlyle. Is there any surprise he puts up terrible numbers behind that defense? They dump Bobrovsky off to Columbus and then he turns around and wins the Vezina. HELLO? It's the defense, not the goalie!

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Exactly! Goaltending is horribly overrated. Bryzgalov was brilliant under Tippett and very good under Carlyle. Is there any surprise he puts up terrible numbers behind that defense? They dump Bobrovsky off to Columbus and then he turns around and wins the Vezina. HELLO? It's the defense, not the goalie!

Strongly disagree. The goalie is like the pitcher in baseball, he can single handedly Win or Lose a game for a team. No doubt the goalie's numbers are affected by the players and system, but IMO you are hugely and grossly underestimating the value of goaltending and the value of having a superior Goalie. So Rask, Lundquiust, and Quick are nothing special, just products of their D?

I agree with Gretz when he throws out the cliche - "you build a Championship Team from the goal out."

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Center's not drastically different from wing. You do need to have a few skills though, mostly you need to be a good skater, you need to be good at draws, and you need to be committed to coming back on defense. Modern coaches are more flexible with the players in terms of schematics.

Replacing LW, C, and RW with F1, F2, and F3

In pro hockey you still change for your position, but once you’re out there you’re generally just a forward, with a starting designation on faceoffs, and a lane to cover in your neutral zone defense.

What I mean is, everything is “F1, F2, and F3.”

Once you get the puck, any thought of positioning outside of “keep a guy high” is basically thrown out the window.

On defense, it’s not necessarily the center who goes down low, as is often thought. It’s supposed to be whoever is back in the d-zone first, F1.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Strongly disagree. The goalie is like the pitcher in baseball, he can single handedly Win or Lose a game for a team. No doubt the goalie's numbers are affected by the players and system, but IMO you are hugely and grossly underestimating the value of goaltending and the value of having a superior Goalie. So Rask, Lundquiust, and Quick are nothing special, just products of their D?

I agree with Gretz when he throws out the cliche - "you build a Championship Team from the goal out."

You need a goalie to make the routine stops, control the rebounds, and occasionally make a clutch save. But even the best goalies can only stop 70-80% of breakaways (look at shootouts). Odd man rushes can be even harder to defend. Backdoor tap ins when the crease isn't cleared. You need a defense to limit those chances in front of the goalie.

I'll take a great defensive team with a mediocre goalie rather than the other way around, unless I have an elite offensive team up front that gives enough goal support and puck possession where you can give up a couple goals and still win most nights.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
No, but a lot of his trades are about trading long term potential for short term gains. If he truly believes that goaltending is his number 1 priority in the off-season and doesn't see us retaining Backstrom or getting a solid starter for cheap on the market, he might covet Bernier, as he could be the best starter out on the market. Given the rumors out of Philadelphia (Matt Read, Sean Courturier, 1st round pick) and New York, Minnesota doesn't have a lot of viable trade chips that would entice Los Angeles. If GMCF sees Minnesota being a goaltender away from competing for the playoffs annually, he might let Zucker go and pray that he can retain both Seto and Poms long term but that won't be until next year and next year's problems shouldn't be today's problems. Today's problems is getting a goaltender.

:facepalm:

Dude...:facepalm:

How do you come up with some of this stuff...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's had all kinds of trades:

Gilbert/Schultz = different fit
Pouliot/Lats = different fit

Kobasew = short term
Pominville = short term
Leddy/Barker = short term

Belanger = long term
Burns = long trade

Just so happens his short-term moves haven't worked out as well, although if Pominville re-signs for under $6m and puts up 60-70 points a year for the next five years that one will be a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad