Possible Malkin retirement?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The extremely likely scenario is Geno plays this year and next, then goes back to Russia.
Malkin's son is getting to the age where when he retires if he turns out to be good, he will go where it's best for his son to grow his future career. It's crazy to think but Malkin's son is 8. When he retires he'll be 10.

He'll be 40 when his contract is up. I don't think he plays unless Crosby convinces him to go for 1 more year to retire together at the end of 2026-27 (if Sid just does a 2yr extension). Pending on Malkin and his health. Selfishly I'd love for Geno to do 1 more year with Crosby and have a farewell tour together.

Reactions: BallardEra

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yes, he visits Russia from time to time and may spend a year in magnitogorsk after Pittsburgh releases him. Yet, he and his kid have american citizenship and he boght homes in maiami and near Pittsburgh. Doubt he will live in Russia after he retires.
There’s nothing wrong with that, he’s played in the U.S. since 2006 and he’s definitely used to living there

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
There’s nothing wrong with that, he’s played in the U.S. since 2006 and he’s definitely used to living there
i never said there was something wrong with that. you are trying to break through an open door here. if you insist one may say americans wage a proxy war against russia, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Sergei DRW

Apr 9, 2009
USA
i never said there was something wrong with that. you are trying to break through an open door here. if you insist one may say americans wage a proxy war against russia, though.

The proxy war is definitely going both ways.

Anyways, I expected this and wish Malkin the best after his NHL days are over. My favorite player not named Mario.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Mark Madden has zero knowledge of the Penguins. No one on the team likes him and none of us Penguins fans take anything he says seriously or acknowledge it.

That's all you need to know next time you decide to post anything where that idiot is a source.

Malkin visits Russia because he has friends there and his parents like to go back. Otherwise Malkin is at home in Pittsburgh or Florida. He's not someone that will retire unless someone tells him medically he has to before his contract is up.

This is stupid even having to explain as Pens fans.

Malkin has owned a posh place in Moscow for like a decade now. No disrespect, but I see no reason he'd stay in Pittsburgh after he retires.
Similar to his best buddies Gonchar and Kovalchuk, I would imagine he'll split time between Russia and Florida...... basically like a lot of retired Russian NHLers do.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin has owned a posh place in Moscow for like a decade now. No disrespect, but I see no reason he'd stay in Pittsburgh after he retires.
Similar to his best buddies Gonchar and Kovalchuk, I would imagine he'll split time between Russia and Florida...... basically like a lot of retired Russian NHLers do.
You're repeating what I just said. He has homes in 3 places. He goes between them the same way Gonchar does when he isn't coaching. If he goes back then he goes back after retirement. I don't see an issue with that. But if he sees that keeping his kid in the US is best for his hockey then he maybe stays. Doesn't matter. The idiotic Madden comment was him retiring early and going back.

Not sure why it matters where he lives when he retires. There's no allure for him to retire early to go back. He's never indicated that and if he does go back and wants to just okay out the rest of his hockey life in the KHL, good for him.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
He'll play his final NHL year with either the Panthers or the Lightning before retiring and living in Florida. None of the major "russian" NHL players are ever coming to live in a sh....le like russia ever again. And in 3 years Russia will be an even bigger sh...le than it already is.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The pens need a coaching change and to pick up Laine if they can for one last push. If they can’t make the playoffs this year, they need scorched earth.
Hire this man.

This is, word for word, exactly what the Penguins need in order to get Sidney Crosby back into the playoffs in a Pens uniform.

Sadly though, Doobler doesn’t have the balls. If he fires Sullivan he is shortening his own tenure by using up a coach, and he wants to keep the big Fenway dollars rolling in for now.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Hire this man.

This is, word for word, exactly what the Penguins need in order to get Sidney Crosby back into the playoffs in a Pens uniform.

Sadly though, Doobler doesn’t have the balls. If he fires Sullivan he is shortening his own tenure by using up a coach, and he wants to keep the big Fenway dollars rolling in for now.
Yup, for sure but his back is up against the wall. The caps are in the same situation and they loaded up while Dubas sat on his hands. I expected he’d at least try a coaching change. Their special teams are broken and their strategies don’t work for an older, slower team.

I still believe the Pens could make the playoffs. They need to go all in for the next 2 seasons then blow it up. Laine would likely do great on Crosby’s wing and surrounded by winners / leaders and can likely be had for little.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
There are a plethora of other players I'd like to say retire in the NHL before Malkin. He has been good for the game, and good for the Pens. In my view, I think he can still play at elite levels and contribute in a meaningful way, as well as being a mentor to younger players I would think if this is his last season, that may impact Crosby's future decisions in more significant way, which would be a shame since I am hoping to see Crosby play at least 2 more seasons.

cnosek6342

May 15, 2024
Massachusetts
Makes sense. That last year he's got 3.8M signing bonus and only 1M base salary. Retire after collecting that bonus, easypeasy.

Wonder if this would impact on Crosby's decision at all.

With Malkin and Crosby both gone, trade Karlsson and Letang (retain 50%) and go straight into the scorched earth rebuild. That's the path for Penguins after this last hurrah next season?
you say "scorched earth rebuild" like the last time they sucked for a little bit they didnt nearly lose the team. teams don't like doing rebuilds because they make less money.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
you say "scorched earth rebuild" like the last time they sucked for a little bit they didnt nearly lose the team. teams don't like doing rebuilds because they make less money.
People repeat this weird revisionist history all the time and it's pretty much total bullshit.

Ownership in the early 90's was cash poor and foolishly signed away almost all of the team's most lucrative revenue streams (TV/Radio radio rights, ad $, luxury boxes, parking/concessions) to lenders in order to finance their purchase of the team, and then doubled down on that strategy for working capital. Player salaries quadrupled in the 90's so ownership was in big trouble regardless of how well or poorly the team did.

BTW the team was in the midst of an 11 season playoff streak when they declared bankruptcy. They didn't bottom out and miss the playoffs until 2 years AFTER Mario bought the team.

cnosek6342

May 15, 2024
Massachusetts
People repeat this weird revisionist history all the time and it's pretty much total bullshit.

Ownership in the early 90's was cash poor and foolishly signed away almost all of the team's most lucrative revenue streams (TV/Radio radio rights, ad $, luxury boxes, parking/concessions) to lenders in order to finance their purchase of the team, and then doubled down on that strategy for working capital. Player salaries quadrupled in the 90's so ownership was in big trouble regardless of how well or poorly the team did.

BTW the team was in the midst of an 11 season playoff streak when they declared bankruptcy. They didn't bottom out and miss the playoffs until 2 years AFTER Mario bought the team.
it is all part of the process. during the whole time they weren't selling the building out and their revenues were terrible compounding the situation. if they had been a competitive team during half of that time, they wouldn't have been as bad off as they were.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In b4 he Kovalchuks and retires and then unretires and comes back for a few kinda mediocre to crappy years.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean I do see him playing his final years in Russia. Maybe retires from the NHL but not hockey.

I mean I do see him playing his final years in Russia. Maybe retires from the NHL but not hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00