Possible Malkin retirement?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Makes sense. That last year he's got 3.8M signing bonus and only 1M base salary. Retire after collecting that bonus, easypeasy.

Wonder if this would impact on Crosby's decision at all.

With Malkin and Crosby both gone, trade Karlsson and Letang (retain 50%) and go straight into the scorched earth rebuild. That's the path for Penguins after this last hurrah next season?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Makes sense. That last year he's got 3.8M signing bonus and only 1M base salary. Retire after collecting that bonus, easypeasy.

Wonder if this would impact on Crosby's decision at all.
Don’t think he gets the bonus, that would be dirty pool if he did that, would also leave the Pens with that cap hit, (signing bonuses count against the cap.)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Not saying I believe it, but it probably makes sense for both parties. Malkin gets to play couple seasons back home while there's still some gas in the tank and the Pens get to start bottoming out earlier. Making the playoffs on its own seems like sn uphill battle, much less winning a few rounds, so might as well rip the bandaid off.

The truly painful one for Pens fans will be seeing Crosby go, but don't worry, he'll look great between demidov and dach. :naughty:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Mark Madden(I know, I know) claimed on his radio show that he has sources saying this will be Malkin's last season in the NHL and he'll go back to Russia to play.

I know people hate on double M but he's fairly connected in Pittsburgh. Are we going to see more take the Kuzy route and end their careers in the KHL?
No he’s not. Still waiting on that Hrdina for Zubrus deal he claimed was done.

Malkin said in an interview in Russia that he would like to play one more season with Metallurg before he retires but he still has the term on his NHL contract. Madden hates Malkin and is hoping he retires.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's plausible. Malkin has clearly diminished as a player over the past few years, and while he's still an effective top 6 forward, one does wonder for how much longer that will be the case. One more go-round in Pittsburgh followed by a KHL farewell tour would be a reasonable way to wind it down without wearing out his welcome a la Marleau.

I wouldn't take Madden at his word, though - he's been wrong about Malkin before.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Mark Madden(I know, I know) claimed on his radio show that he has sources saying this will be Malkin's last season in the NHL and he'll go back to Russia to play.

I know people hate on double M but he's fairly connected in Pittsburgh. Are we going to see more take the Kuzy route and end their careers in the KHL?

Jabba the Madden's been saying "This is Malkin's final year in the NHL" since 2009, last I checked he hasnt left yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
malkins more american than russian now, sounds idiotic
No he isn’t, and he has mentioned ending his career in Russia multiple times.

He just recently stated to TASS magazine that he is gonna finnish his contract in NHL first at least.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not soon enough. I’ll miss Crosby oddly but can’t wait for Geno and Letang to hang ‘em up.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Mark Madden(I know, I know)
CornetteFace_4208.jpg

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
God I hate Mark Madden, he's got no business being in a main boards thread lol.

He used to be well connected and more respected in the hockey sphere of Pittsburgh, but he's old news. The guy seems so disconnected in almost everything that he says. And as others have said, he's been hating on Malkin pretty much his whole time here in Pittsburgh. There's no chance that he has any inside information here.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Pitt should have moved the big three last offseason/deadline and rebuild. Bring them back to retire afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad