Speculation: Poll: Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick for Noah Hanifin

Would you trade the 7th Overall Pick straight up for Noah Hanifin?

• Total voters

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The following players have very strong chance of having a much greater impact than Hanifin at the NHL level...

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Hughes
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Dobson
Tkachuk
Kotkaniemi

And that's not meant to be an exhaustive list.

So no.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hanifin is being a bit under valued. For 7 th overall straight up id strongly consider it. Idk why people are treating him like he's Sam Bennett or Pouliot. He had a fine season at 21. His ceiling might not be the highest but if it was you obviously would have no chance to acquire him. You're paying with potential for what Hanifin will most likely become a good #2-#3.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hanifin is being a bit under valued. For 7 th overall straight up id strongly consider it. Idk why people are treating him like he's Sam Bennett or Pouliot. He had a fine season at 21. His ceiling might not be the highest but if it was you obviously would have no chance to acquire him. You're paying with potential for what Hanifin will most likely become a good #2-#3.
Yeah when we're calling him a "faded" prospect, that's a little much.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Simple question with all the rumours out there:

Would you trade the pick for Noah Hanifin?

I for one wouldn’t trade the pick.

Here’s the thing though:

For JUST the 7th overall? Sure. However, Hanifin will cost more than just the 7th.

Edit - FWIW, I technically should have voted, “depends who’s left on the board.” If Quinn Hughes was available at 7 (which he won’t be since Detroit has a hard on for the guy), then I’d pick Hughes. And of course, this is under the fallacious assumption that the 7th alone would land us Hanifin.

Reactions: HankNDank

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If the Canucks had a few more pieces then I'd say yes.

Still a few too many years away.

Yep, this is the kind of trade Winnipeg could have made in 2016 if they hadn’t won the lottery (6 -> 2) or a team like Edmonton should make this year. You’ve got your core forwards in place and need to build up your top 4 D. That’s the right time to add “now” players like Hanifin, not 3-4 years out.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Originally I would have strongly considered it but with another expansion looming in the near future, I’d hate to have to use a spot to protect him based on the player he is today. I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad trade, I think it’s just a bad time for this team to make that trade.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Heck no. Hope we pick Bouchard. Adding more London Knights would not hurt.

Hanafin has failed to meet expectations.

I would rather see Hanafin succeed in another team then seeing our 7th round pick becoming a top pairing defensemen for the Canes.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
No f***ing way. Just stop the madness already and build through the draft.

Keep the pick. Not sure why I am unable to cast a vote. Has Hargraves angered someone?
Your account is still too new. IIRC you have to be here at least a month before you can vote in polls or start threads (rules might have changed since the server migration).

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Straight up? Yes.

Do the Canes do that? No.

Adding significant pieces to the 7th? Hell no.

Do the Canes do that without a significant piece added? No.

No deal to be made here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No.

Here's a little tip, if a team is looking to move a very young player for a draft pick there's usually a good reason for it. Carolina has seen what they have in Hanifin and would rather have a lottery ticket. In this league where young defensemen are highly sought after, it speaks volumes if they can't trade him for a good young forward.

I don't think it's quite that simple. There's something else looming around Hanifin that could be the reason they'd move him for a pick. $$$ Cash Money $$$. Both in terms of their whole ownership+front office situation being a bit tumultuous and confusing. But also just in terms of cap allocation and internal salary structure.

Hanifin is an RFA this summer, coming off a couple decent 30pt seasons, with top draft pick pedigree. It's not going to be easy to fit him into a salary structure that's already been set by Slavin and Pesce, who are both better defencemen right now. Hanifin's camp are likely going to value his future earnings potential in at least the range that Slavin (5.3M) signed for...when his value right now is actually less than Pesce (4M) signed for. Even with a bridge...you're headed toward a problem there at some point. With other promising young defencemen still on the way...this could well be the point at which it makes sense for them to proactively move future salary for a top pick and effectively "reset the clock" on that valuable ELC.

It's also a factor that hurts Hanifin's value on the market though. We're in a place where we could probably afford to leverage our cap space (and moneybags owners) in that way though.

Everyone who voted the 3rd option should man up and post which prospect(s) they’d value over Hanifin.

Fence sitters...

I really should've just voted "no". There's basically one very specific scenario where i'd maybe entertain the idea of a straight up swap. And even then, i'd want to know what sort of salary Hanifin is after and how big a mess that's going to be.

If all of Dahlin/Svechnikov/Dobson/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Zadina are gone at pick #7...i'd at least think about it. Probably still wouldn't want to do it, but i'd want to have talked with the Canes GM and had some ideas in place in case that did happen. Keep the option open. It'd be a possibility. But the odds of that happening have to be pretty slim. I'm no probability statistician wizkid though.

Reactions: Nucker101
Feb 24, 2017
You only have to look /listen to the local sports media...They're all saying its a bad idea..and it seems like the majority of fans are not onboard either.
What do local media or local fans know about the nhl?

I’m not saying yes, either. Just that the media and populace here know sweet f*** all.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Canucks had 9th overall. I will make that trade. These are the players that I think will be better than Hanifin. Dhalin Svechnikov Zadina Tkachuk Hughes Dobson Wahlstrom Kokaniemi

Not too high on on Bouchard and boqvist

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What do local media or local fans know about the nhl?

I’m not saying yes, either. Just that the media and populace here know sweet **** all.
Agreed to some extent,but Ray Ferraro's quote "yes the Canucks would be better with O'Reilly and Hanifin..but at what cost?"
That definitely strikes a chord.

If the trade was made,it would be unpopular in this city...judging from the reaction of fans and media..Thats all I'm saying.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I'd rather take the chance that whichever of Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard is available at 7 will have a higher ceiling than Hanifin. Some posters like Boqvist, but he's slid down the draft rankings and that usually should be a warning sign. Players like Kyle Beach, Angelo Esposito, Jordan Schroeder all started their draft year ranked near the top slid for a good reason.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Straight up? Yes.

Do the Canes do that? No.

Adding significant pieces to the 7th? Hell no.

Do the Canes do that without a significant piece added? No.

No deal to be made here.
Canes should take their cue from Nashville. They used Jones to land a legit C, which the canes need. Don’t move hanifin unless you get a C.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd rather take the chance that whichever of Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard is available at 7 will have a higher ceiling than Hanifin. Some posters like Boqvist, but he's slid down the draft rankings and that usually should be a warning sign. Players like Kyle Beach, Angelo Esposito, Jordan Schroeder all started their draft year ranked near the top slid for a good reason.
Exactly....if Bouchard, Dobson or Hughes are still on the board at #7 and Jimbo deals it for Hanifin, I'm trading in my Canucks sweater for Perry Como cardigan.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted depends on who is left on the draft board. Personally, I would lean towards simply keeping the pick and drafting the BPA. There are a few forwards who might be available along with a couple talented RHD. Of the Dmen, I like Dobson. If the Canucks liked Makar last season, I can seem them liking Hughes. I think Hughes is better than Makar offensively, but is not as good defensively. I think that when you are left with the choice of Bouchard or Boqvist and you want a D, there is enough risk vs better potential there that it makes sense to go with Hanifin if you can swing that deal. It really depends on how you view the individual players.

Some posters like Boqvist, but he's slid down the draft rankings and that usually should be a warning sign. Players like Kyle Beach, Angelo Esposito, Jordan Schroeder all started their draft year ranked near the top slid for a good reason.

Are you talking about "rankings" or the actual draft? For most players, there's a huge difference between where they were projected to go at the beginning of their draft eligible season and where they are projected to go at the time of the draft. If you go by rankings, Schroeder didn't actually slid in the rankings. Beach slid a bit from where he was projected to go at the beginning of his draft eligible season, but it's not a huge drop. Then there are players like Kopitar, Nichushkin, and Cam Fowler who were projected to go higher but were fallers at the draft.

Boqvist also happens to be one of the youngest in the draft.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I wouldn’t trade 7+ for Hanifin (which is what it would cost), but I would easily trade the 7th for Hanifin (Carolina farts in the receiver and hangs up).

I think people are underestimating as to just how difficult it is to draft and develop a good young defenseman. As Canuck fans, no one should know this better than us.

While drafting a Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, or Bouchard is certainly nice, there’s a reason why defenseman are often the hardest to predict/forecast.

A 7th+ for Hanifin is an overpayment. 7th overall straight up for a “good” 2nd pairing defenseman that is still young enough to become a top pairing defenseman however? And is 21 years old and has already shown signs of trending upwards? I make that deal 10 times out of 10.

Drafting and developing a defenseman is effing tough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad