Poll: Retire #72. Yea or Nay?

Should the Columbus Blue Jackets retire #72 for Sergei Bobrovsky?

• Total voters

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Which as I said, with werenski, depends on what happens the rest of his career, which is why I said I "could" see it happening.

As for this current topic of bob, I 100% agree on them making some sort of ring of honor, cannonball circle, or whatever, a few guys could go in there.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think they should have retired Nash's number. So that's a no for me.

Which as I said, with werenski, depends on what happens the rest of his career, which is why I said I "could" see it happening.

As for this current topic of bob, I 100% agree on them making some sort of ring of honor, cannonball circle, or whatever, a few guys could go in there.
They could very easily create an All-Star Cafe with jerseys, videos, photos etc of the CBJ All-Star players.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Werenski’s still only 26 (won’t be 27 for a few more weeks) and will be in Columbus for at least four more years. He has plenty of time to cement a legacy here, especially if he re-signs in 2028. No reason to write him off already.

Reactions: CBJx614

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Not putting anyone in particular in this box, but just as a general statement: If your answer was "no" BEFORE last night, your answer's still "no."

You retire someone's number because of what he did for YOUR team. Not what he accomplished elsewhere.

I was for retiring #61, because he was the first true superstar this club had, and the first person that people actually bought tickets to watch. But now, I think we need to remember that this team is only 24 years old. We should retire numbers because they deserve it; not because we're looking to do it. And a team that's only won one playoff series in its lifetime should have a short supply of candidates for this honor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not putting anyone in particular in this box, but just as a general statement: If your answer was "no" BEFORE last night, your answer's still "no."

You retire someone's number because of what he did for YOUR team. Not what he accomplished elsewhere.

I was for retiring #61, because he was the first true superstar this club had, and the first person that people actually bought tickets to watch. But now, I think we need to remember that this team is only 24 years old. We should retire numbers because they deserve it; not because we're looking to do it. And a team that's only won one playoff series in its lifetime should have a short supply of candidates for this honor.

We had this debate a year or two ago, and some of us, myself included, were in favor of Bob eventually getting his number retired by the Jackets. What he's done in Florida helps that but it isn't based on that.

Reactions: koteka

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I don't think they should have retired Nash's number. So that's a no for me.

They could very easily create an All-Star Cafe with jerseys, videos, photos etc of the CBJ All-Star players.
And double the price for STH in the ⭐️All-Star⭐️section of the arena. Can ya tell I’m still fuming over the “NEW Center Ice Club” debacle? 😡

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Everyone will have their own opinion and criteria for what the bar is and the "whys" of number retirement.

For me, I'd rather see players who played all/most of their career for the team get their number retired, players whose name you hear and immediately associate them with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

There's more than one way to get to that status with the fans and it's a team honor, so for me, you don't necessarily need a hall of fame career or some great accomplishments.

For those reasons I'm also not really disagreeing with retiring Bob's jersey (even though I voted no), because I essentially view that situation as an outsider, and from that POV I don't quite get it, but if the fans who were there for his time view him as a franchise legend worthy of the honor, who am I to disagree.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm on the fence but if he gets inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame I would say yes.

The reason being that, while it took him winning the Cup to probably get in, his 2 Vezina trophies are doing most of the heavy lifting. And he achieved those while in Columbus. That's not to mention that he was a Hart finalist and likely holds a bunch of team records.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
For comparison, Tim Thomas has 2 Vezina and a Stanley Cup. he's not in the Hall and his number has not been retired and probably never will be in Boston because of their history. There is the debate if Thomas deserves it or not.

As long as the CBJ just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it because we haven't had anyone better.

Thomas only played in 426 regular season games. Longevity wasn't there because his career started so late. Bob has 700 regular season games already, and could get to 800+ if he stays healthy / competent.

Thomas was also a .933 goaltender (!!) in 50 playoff games. Nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad