Poll: Retire #72. Yea or Nay?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should the Columbus Blue Jackets retire #72 for Sergei Bobrovsky?

• Total voters

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If you retire Nash’s number, you have to retire Bob’s, and that was my thought before the cup win tonight.
Im thinking along these lines. If he's inducted into HOF then retire the number for certain. Hope he will agreeable to it...

Regardless of team history they ARE allowed a history...

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I could see if he had won here but honestly feels like a reach.

I'm of the opinion most numbers should not be retired, wait until this franchise wins a Cup.

Reactions: Monk and Seedtype

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For comparison, Tim Thomas has 2 Vezina and a Stanley Cup. he's not in the Hall and his number has not been retired and probably never will be in Boston because of their history. There is the debate if Thomas deserves it or not.

As long as the CBJ just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it because we haven't had anyone better.

Reactions: Cowumbus and MAHJ71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Eventually. But I honestly think it comes back to whatever his relationship is with the team when his career is done. There was bitterness on both sides there at the end. His 2 Vezina in Columbus are important but his cup win tonight should literally have zero impact if his number gets retired in Columbus because it didn't happen here.
I've been thinking about the question posed and I think my answer is that the #1 reason to do it is to try and repair that. You run the risk of fan reaction but Nash was received with open arms, and I *think* there were harder feelings among the fanbase about his departure?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Are we sure the bad blood between him and team isn't just with Jarmo?
Probably JD too. Maybe even Torts, but from recent comments I think he and Torts buried the hatchet. (I think torts and he exchanged Christmas cards or something)

No idea if there is bad blood still with the organization. Probably not from his perspective

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've been thinking about the question posed and I think my answer is that the #1 reason to do it is to try and repair that. You run the risk of fan reaction but Nash was received with open arms, and I *think* there were harder feelings among the fanbase about his departure?
Give it 5+ years after he’s done playing and it’s probably no big deal. I think that is when I’d revisit and answer this question but right now it’s hard to say yes or no.

Reactions: Viqsi

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
To be honest I feel like I have no right to vote since Bob played for the Jackets "before my time", but voted no anyway :D 7 seasons as a Jacket, 2+5 for other teams so far. I just don't see it... like if he was a career Blue Jacket with last couple seasons as a Panther for the eventual cup win, then sure, but he got here via trade and eventually wanted out, so does that really warrant the kind of franchise legend status for retiring a jersey? Where do you want to set the bar?

I mean Nash at least was a CBJ drafted player who spent majority of his career and his best years as a Jacket and was the first star for a young franchise (which I feel weighs heavily on it) - so I get why his number was retired.

I could imagine a scenario where Bob eventually gets his number retired if he works with the Jackets again in some meaningful way, but so far not really.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
He has a much better case than Nash (That retirement was an abject disgrace), but the answer is still a hard "no." Nash requested a trade out of here when things got too tough and thus started the conga-line of stars who have departed since. Then we welcomed him back as some sort of team ambassador!

No player banner should ever go up until we have team banners.

Last edited:

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I am happy for Bob and I wish him nothing but well, but I don’t think he’s in number-retiring range for the CBJ.

What he did for the franchise was spectacular and important. But there are only so many numbers and this feels like a case of “we’re retiring his number just to point out he was part of our franchise, too.” His most important work wasn’t done here.

I consider Nash a marginal (but probably unavoidable) case.

I agree that in five years we will have a better perspective. I suspect at that point the question will seem moot.

Reactions: MAHJ71

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
For comparison, Tim Thomas has 2 Vezina and a Stanley Cup. he's not in the Hall and his number has not been retired and probably never will be in Boston because of their history. There is the debate if Thomas deserves it or not.

As long as the CBJ just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it because we haven't had anyone better.

You forgot Thomas also won the Conn Smythe :D Him not being in the Hall must have everything to do with his persona. I mean his career was kinda short and he doesn't have a gazillion wins, but 2 Vezinas and a Cup win with Conn Smythe to top it off, what more can you ask of a goalie.

Probably same with his number retirement, it's actually a bit odd they haven't retired it. The fans never seemed to get over the Thomas' cup run at least for as a long as Rask played, so anything short of Conn Smythe was a disappointing goalie performance :) I used to read their board sometimes and I was always surprised how much some people whined about Rask (it was probably a loud minority though...) - it was downright bizarre taking into account the level of goaltending he provided them for years, but then again it usually seemed to boil down to "he is not Tim Thomas".

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
May already be out there but I voted no and not because he isn't an integral part of our history, but I think Jersey retirement is above a team hall of fame type scenario. I'd prefer to see the team create an internal ring of honor or CBJ hall of fame or something that recognizes great achievements/accomplishments and a player deserving of recognition beyond just the stat sheet. I see jersey retirement as something that is just such a high honor.

That said, I certainly wouldn't balk at his jersey being retired if it were to occur, but I just think it takes more. While Bob is certainly a name people recognize, if you were to ask 100 people, I would imagine 80% of them would make Rick Nash synonymous with the CBJ for his prior accomplishments. May not be right, but his value to the franchise went beyond that of Bob. My opinion only. Now THAT said, had they not retired his jersey I wouldn't have cried over that either but think they need a CBJ ring of honor or hall of fame to cover such things.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Tim Thomas became persona non grata with the Bruins organization due to his outspoken political stances which alienated him from the ownership group.

Also, it is difficult to retire Bruins #30 because that number was also worn by hall of famer Gary Cheevers and wasn't retired then.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Also, it is difficult to retire Bruins #30 because that number was also worn by hall of famer Gary Cheevers and wasn't retired then.
Which begs the question, what makes it acceptable to retire a number and should it be easier to have done if you wear a unique number on a team with little to no significant history?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Exactly the reason Nash is up there
That’s not true. Rick Nash is up there because of his impact as the first franchise pillar and icon for hockey in Columbus in addition to all of his individual accolades league wide and franchise wide. Shane Doan was largely in the same boat in Arizona, yet none of them complained about it. (Yes I am aware doan didn’t request a trade out of Arizona).

People can like that he’s up there or not but he wasn’t just retired for charitable reasons. To this day I know people who aren’t fans who think of Rick Nash if you ask them to name a player.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Personally, I think the number retirement, esp with say, Nash has to do with on and off the ice. In no way was that a charity case. The off ice stuff is kind of like how olympic stuff sometimes plays into hall of fame entry.

The next one I could actually see happening is Werenski, in all honesty, not saying id agree, but depending what happens going forward, hes trending that way with all hes doing off ice.... a trophy or two wouldnt hurt, though

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Personally, I think the number retirement, esp with say, Nash has to do with on and off the ice. In no way was that a charity case. The off ice stuff is kind of like how olympic stuff sometimes plays into hall of fame entry.

The next one I could actually see happening is Werenski, in all honesty, not saying id agree, but depending what happens going forward, hes trending that way with all hes doing off ice.... a trophy or two wouldnt hurt, though
I like Werenski, he's a really good player...but retiring his number? No team accomplishments, no Norris trophies.... I want him on the roster but not the number retired.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like Werenski, he's a really good player...but retiring his number? No team accomplishments, no Norris trophies.... I want him on the roster but not the number retired.

You can look through the list of players with retired numbers and there are plenty that were never half as good as Werenski. Who remembers Chris Philips?

So, sure we could have a standard where you have to be better than Werenski to be included, or we could the set the standard at Werenski or below. It's our choice.

The standard varies greatly team to team. It's our choice where we want to set it.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Hang a banner in the rafters for Bob but don't retire his sweater number. I think he deserves acknowledgement for his two Vezinas he won as a Jacket but number retirement is something that should be limited to a select few and that ain't Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad