OT: Poll: How many points will Cooley score this year?

How many points will Cooley score this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I still think 41 to 50

I think when he gets more time off between gamEd , he will be great , but going from the college schedule to the NHL schedule might be tough, when playing 3 games in 4 nights , or 1 day off between games

he looked great at the start but seems a lot slower now . I don’t know if it is linemates or what but his line usually gets dominated and no one ever seems to get him the puck

he looks better on the PP , I find the other rookies looked worse in camp but seem to be doing better now, where as the opposite seems to be the case with him so far.
I want him to stand out and make it tough for anyone to not vote for him for the Calder

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'd say that Cooley will be playing with better players than Keller did in his rookie season. He is also a more highly touted prospect than Keller was coming in. If he gets lot of pp time, and plays all 82 games I can see him hitting 70+.
Cooley will have more responsibility on D as a C than Keller did as a W. Its just easier because of this for wingers to rack up points. 40-50 seems realistic, if he's in the 30s thats under expectations, if he is in the 60s it would be way above for a rookie. He is clearly capable of being a PPG player, but its a lot longer season and we can't expect that his rookie year as a C. It took Keller many years to get to PPG status, might be as long for Cooley, but thats ok. He might be the first top 10 legit 1C we have had since JR. The good news is that Hayton is good on D and take the tougher assignments for now, next few years.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I still think he'll reach 41, but this was some bold predicting last Fall.

Screenshot_20240311_154910_Samsung Internet.jpg

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
He just needs to average 2.35 points per game for the remaining 17 to hit 70 (he's at 30 in 65 currently). I based it off Keller hitting 65 in his rookie year and figured he'd outdo him.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
When we say Bear is coaching the youth so well. For a large part of this year Cooley was lost. Trying to turn him into a third or fourth line grinder. Anything below 50 I believe is miss coaching.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
0.5 ppg is a legitimate achievable goal with this season. I'm loving the chemistry with Guenther. My biggest complaint on coaching is we are at the point in the season where that duo should be getting more PP time and getting in 17-20 mins per game (when we can actually not take a 100 penalties).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My prediction was that he’s start slow and then improve tremendously in the second half. That’s somewhat true as he has looked good recently. However I did not expect the entire roster to just lay down and die after Christmas. A full blown collapse was not on my bingo card. Hard to produce when everyone over 24 just decided to stop playing hockey this year.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My prediction was that he’s start slow and then improve tremendously in the second half. That’s somewhat true as he has looked good recently. However I did not expect the entire roster to just lay down and die after Christmas. A full blown collapse was not on my bingo card. Hard to produce when everyone over 24 just decided to stop playing hockey this year.
words can not express my frustration with the NHL purposely derailing our season with the Salt Lake City stuff. The draft fan is okay with it but as someone who was really impressed with the way we were playing (given our defense) that completely destroyed the year.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I'd be way more concerned about his point totals if he wasn't showing so well in the other facets of his game like he has (forechecking, defensive responsibility, speed and hockey IQ, and the ability to draw penalties.) Aside from a handful of rookie mistakes and turnovers, he's looked every bit the part as a 19 year old. Very excited for his future.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He's wirey (in my best Gene Hackman doing an Irish accent), much like Jack Hughes, so I said he'd just be off of Keller's pace at the beginning of the season, I suspect he'll have the same trajectory as Hughes.

Needs to fill out the frame a bit and get a better motor. Startup motor is great for first 15 seconds, but middle motor is just average and anything over 30 seconds the kid is slow. That will change with more maturation and maybe he can become MacKinnon in that category of a guy that can just go 100mph for an entire shift and do it repeatedly.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
When we say Bear is coaching the youth so well. For a large part of this year Cooley was lost. Trying to turn him into a third or fourth line grinder. Anything below 50 I believe is miss coaching.
He's not good defensively, in fact he's not that intelligent of a player. You could be correct, but at the time, I felt it was a good move and still do..... although there hasn't been a great improvement, if any at all.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'm not disappointed by Cooley's production, but I think another year of college hockey would have benefited him.

Here are some numbers on how Cooley compares to other rookies this season.

5on5 - minimum 40 games.
1710286506511.png

Every Coyote Rookie since 2009-10 with current players highlighted.

1710286954968.png

Reactions: Edenjung

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Yeah I am not pleased with how they are developing him…he came in here full of confIdence, Keeping pace with Keller, Schmaltz, as well as Bedard..points wise

A big part of our PP at the start of the year..then lowered his ice time and made him more defensive.. lost his confidence… he has picked it up lately, but doesn’t seem to be a major factor, like he was early.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah I am not pleased with how they are developing him…he came in here full of confIdence, Keeping pace with Keller, Schmaltz, as well as Bedard..points wise

A big part of our PP at the start of the year..then lowered his ice time and made him more defensive.. lost his confidence… he has picked it up lately, but doesn’t seem to be a major factor, like he was early.

Don't think he's lost his confidence at all while trying to play the game the right way at the NHL level, personally. Just the typical adjustments and growing pains a rookie player goes through the NHL level.

I'd rather him not be developed into a one dimensional scoring threat that is a liability on defense. He's got the tools to be well rounded and I think their efforts to make him just that are worth it.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He just needs to average 2.35 points per game for the remaining 17 to hit 70 (he's at 30 in 65 currently). I based it off Keller hitting 65 in his rookie year and figured he'd outdo him.
Keller is a winger, he can get juicier minutes at that position, much easier to score and not have his lack of D as a rookie hurt the team. Cooley as a C, its much tougher, he has much more responsibility on D, its a much tougher transition to be a C in the NHL versus a winger. We spit wingers out like its going out of style, C's and D's not so much.

Cooley is a scorer, i am not disappointed in him at all. I think Bear sheltering him and forcing him to be better without the puck is much better for him and us long term. 35-40 points is fine for a first year C on a 70 point team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I think he’s been more of a factor in the 2nd half, according to the eye test. I predicted he’d start slow and catch fire later. Just like he did in the NCAA and for the NTDP. I believe Cooley would've been on fire in the 2nd half if the team around him didn't fold like cheap suits and just lay down to die quietly. Hard to put up points when the entire leadership group is passed out on the bench, drooling and snoring.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There's a very good probability that he'll finish the season higher on that Coyotes list than Fischer, McBain, Dvorak and Garland.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
My Logan Cooley worry/concern percentage is at zero. We've got a solid NHL player in this 19 year old kid.
Yeah he's 19, his season really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He's got great work ethic to go with all that talent so I have no reason to think he's not going to be an awesome player. He's doesn't have a super trajectory like Bedard, and I think he'll end up closer to a Hischier than Hughes, but when he finally puts it all together I expect the Yotes will have a ppg center on their hands and I'll be super happy with that. I mean that's exactly what you hope for from a 3rd overall pick!

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

Cooley by Month
Oct 0g, 6a, 8sog 16:56
Nov 2g, 5a, 28sog 16:17
Dec 1g, 4a, 17sog 15:38
Jan 3g, 4a, 23sog 15:42
Feb 3g, 0a, 24sog 14:23
Mar 4g, 0a, 23sog 16:11 (6 games remaining in March)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad