Salary Cap: Poll; Buyout Candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Will Get Bought Out ?

• Nobody. All the contracts are fine.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Nobody. Wrong stage to be executing buyouts.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • Fabbri

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Holl

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Husso

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Copp

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Petry

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Thank you for figuring out the math on this. Because the answer is so dependent on the benefits.

I know people would love to buy Copp out in a heartbeat, but that's quite a hit to take.
Husso's cap hit would be 1.583 for this season and next. The fact that he'd earn 3.116 is irrelevant to cap space. He's worth a buyout, we'd save 3.116 this season and be hit with 1.583 next.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I doubt Copp is going anywhere, and I'm not sure we'd be thrilled with what actually happens if he was bought out. We have no one to replace him with right now and whoever we sign in UFA is probably just going to end up in the same "he's overpaid!" doghouse in short order.

The guy buys in to what the team wants from him and holds down 16 minutes a night without getting regularly caved in. I know that sounds like a low bar but it's a bar we couldn't clear on the third line before he showed up.

Agreed. Everyone talks about how this team needs to get better defensively yet at the same time Copp is somehow apparently the root of most of the problems and must go immediately. It makes no sense.

Of the guys regularly taking draws, Copp is also the only one other than Larkin with a Faceoff percentage above 50%. When people want to buyout Copp I would ask who is going to take those thousand faceoffs and not get caved in but I'm guessing the answer would be some prospect who has never taken a draw in the NHL before.

The team is already weak at center. Unless he can be packaged for a trade that improves the team or until someone shows they can fill his role, he's likely not going anywhere because buying him out or trading him just leaves a bigger hole down the middle.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Maybe Yzerman will go after Trouba for peanuts, after the possible buyout.
giphy.gif

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Yzerman trades Walman for nothing (with a second!) and then goes into next season with Holl and Husso still on the roster I think it's time to give up on the Yzerplan.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Holl almost did not play last season and we know that Yzerman was shopping him Without success

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
After digging in a little more. I don’t think it makes sense to buyout Holl.

On paper the buyout is 1.33M vs his 3.4M caphit. So it appears to be a 2M cap savings short term.

In reality somebody has to sit in the press box as a 7th defenseman if he is gone. That player will make atleast 800K.

So with his dead cap (1.33M) and replacement price of the new 7th defenseman (800K+) it only saves 1.2M.

With Husso there is nowhere to hide a backup goalie he has to play 30-35 games. His savings are also much larger.
1.58M deadcap vs his current 4.75 hit. For a savings of nearly 3.2M. (Almost triple the savings)

And unlike Holl. If Husso stays they would probably have to carry a 3rd goalie again (Yzerman doesn’t want to). Making him more expensive still. Changed my vote to Husso.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
After digging in a little more. I don’t think it makes sense to buyout Holl.

On paper the buyout is 1.33M vs his 3.4M caphit. So it appears to be a 2M cap savings short term.

In reality somebody has to sit in the press box as a 7th defenseman if he is gone. That player will make atleast 800K.

So with his dead cap (1.33M) and replacement price of the new 7th defenseman (800K+) it only saves 1.2M.

With Husso there is nowhere to hide a backup goalie he has to play 30-35 games. His savings are also much larger.
1.58M deadcap vs his current 4.75 hit. For a savings of nearly 3.2M. (Almost triple the savings)

And unlike Holl. If Husso stays they would probably have to carry a 3rd goalie again (Yzerman doesn’t want to). Making him more expensive still. Changed my vote to Husso.
Yes but for $2 million ($1.13 for Holl, 800k for d-man) you could have a serviceable d-man. Holl couldn't crack the lineup last season and that doesn't seem like it's going to change.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes but for $2 million ($1.13 for Holl, 800k for d-man) you could have a serviceable d-man. Holl couldn't crack the lineup last season and that doesn't seem like it's going to change.
An $800K defenseman also wouldn't crack the lineup, so what's the point?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What if that defenseman was Albert Johansson? Or another prospect who could actually play hockey?
Holl can play serviceable hockey. Coach didn't like him ahead of Mo, Petry, Ghost, but I don't see him liking a rookie over those three either. Especially if Ghost is replaced with a RD that can actually defend.

I'd rather pay Holl to be the 7D than stick a kid there. Long term injury play the kid and keep Holl at 7, but the odd rest day to day situation Holl is perfectly fine in that role.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Husso's cap hit would be 1.583 for this season and next. The fact that he'd earn 3.116 is irrelevant to cap space. He's worth a buyout, we'd save 3.116 this season and be hit with 1.583 next.

LTIR. He’s injured so often just bury his contract. No buyout needed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He was injured because the coaches overloaded him not using the backup.

We really need change this culture. Same happened for Lyon.

Why not going 50/50 split like the Boston model??

Still think Husso could be the biggest surprise for next season, after they adjust the game with Roope Koistinen.

Goalies go up and down. There's no safe bet on the game anymore.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Yzerman already said he is healthy.

If he ever wants to sign another NHL contract, you can bet he is going to try and stay that way this year.

I still wouldn’t mind buying him out, but he isn’t agreeing to go on LTIR.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp's buyout will sadly have to wait 2 years for it to be palatable. At that point it's 1.458 for 2 seasons.

Yeah, unfortunately that's where I'm at. None of these buyouts are palatable long term. It's gonna cost assets to get rid of any contract, I still don't understand why Stevie paid such a high price to get rid of Walman.

As much as I hope it's a deal where SJ picks up Holl or Husso on waivers, that seems like circumvention of NTC, and I think the NHLPA will file a grievance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He’s injured so often just bury his contract. No buyout needed.

Coaching staff should just split the damn wear between goalies. I don't get the system that you go with one at all games for a month, until he gets hurt. That happened with Husso and also with Lyon.

Why can't they split the games 50/50 like Boston did? Both will stay at game shape, and also healthier at same time.

It's always problematic to use the cold backup, so why not keeping both at game shape...? Just common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Agreed. Everyone talks about how this team needs to get better defensively yet at the same time Copp is somehow apparently the root of most of the problems and must go immediately. It makes no sense.

Of the guys regularly taking draws, Copp is also the only one other than Larkin with a Faceoff percentage above 50%. When people want to buyout Copp I would ask who is going to take those thousand faceoffs and not get caved in but I'm guessing the answer would be some prospect who has never taken a draw in the NHL before.

The team is already weak at center. Unless he can be packaged for a trade that improves the team or until someone shows they can fill his role, he's likely not going anywhere because buying him out or trading him just leaves a bigger hole down the middle.

mandalorian-this-is-the-way.gif

Welcome to the Red Wings forum.

Mazur > Fischer
Cossa > Markstrom
Berggren > Kane
Johansson > Gostisbehere

Those are just off hand. I'm sure there are more examples that I'm forgetting people have said.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Waive them all. Based on who is not claimed buy out Copp first and Holl second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad