Salary Cap: Poll; Buyout Candidates

Who Will Get Bought Out ?

• Nobody. All the contracts are fine.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Nobody. Wrong stage to be executing buyouts.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • Fabbri

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Holl

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Husso

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Copp

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Petry

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Holl. His buyout would be 1.33 mil for 4 seasons.

Fabbri can be traded for a late pick or future considerations.
Copp buyout would suck pretty bad. Annual cost of 1.819 mil per season for 6 seasons is shit.
Husso would cost 1.583 mil for 1 season but he'd get paid 3.166 mil, so he's better on LTIR than as a buyout.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Why can’t I choose multiple options? Fabbri, Holl, Petry, Copp.. they can all go buh-bye and the overall roster doesn’t take a hit.

We are kidding ourselves if we think SY isn’t regretting not fielding a younger (probably worse) team the past couple seasons to have more cap space and a bigger/better prospect pool going into this next season.

It’s unfortunate because he knows the best way to have sustained success is by practicing patience, but he had pressure from multiple directions to provide a more polished product and (hopefully) expedite the rebuild.

Now we are seeing the negative effects of trying to push the envelope a little too hard. He signed guys to bad deals, there’s really no way else to put it.

Reactions: Duane Smith

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Why can’t I choose multiple options? Fabbri, Holl, Petry, Copp.. they can all go buh-bye and the overall roster doesn’t take a hit.

I think you are only allowed to use one buyout per offseason.

You can get a 2nd buyout only if an RFA player takes you to an arbitration hearing.

I could be completely wrong here? but that is my understanding, Only one is possible for now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holl. His buyout would be 1.33 mil for 4 seasons.

Fabbri can be traded for a late pick or future considerations.
Copp buyout would suck pretty bad. Annual cost of 1.819 mil per season for 6 seasons is shit.
Husso would cost 1.583 mil for 1 season but he'd get paid 3.166 mil, so he's better on LTIR than as a buyout.

Thank you for figuring out the math on this. Because the answer is so dependent on the benefits.

I know people would love to buy Copp out in a heartbeat, but that's quite a hit to take.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Thank you for figuring out the math on this. Because the answer is so dependent on the benefits.

I know people would love to buy Copp out in a heartbeat, but that's quite a hit to take.

And a Copp buyout in 2025 means he's on the books for 4 years at 1.687.

Copp's buyout will sadly have to wait 2 years for it to be palatable. At that point it's 1.458 for 2 seasons.

Detroit is likely stuck with Copp for the remaining 3 years of his contract. I'm hoping he can salvage some of his value to make him at least a trade throw in at some point.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If Copp didn't exist on the roster, SY would just acquire another one. He already had one and still acquired a second....

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think Husso gets waived and ends up in SJ as the "future consideration", Holl gets bought out, Maatta gets traded. Frees up 14.5 million between Walman, Husso, Maatta, and Holl.

That leaves you with Seider, Edvinsson, Johansson, Petry, and Chiarot on defense, so Yzerman would need to find two top-four guys and another goalie in trade or FA.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Husso gets waived and ends up in SJ as the "future consideration", Holl gets bought out, Maatta gets traded. Frees up 14.5 million between Walman, Husso, Maatta, and Holl.

That leaves you with Seider, Edvinsson, Johansson, Petry, and Chiarot on defense, so Yzerman would need to find two top-four guys and another goalie in trade or FA.
Music to my ears - where do I sign? :D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Futures is nothing.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

As much as I don't like Holl. It doesn't make sense to buy him out until next year. 2 year's on the cap at 50% isn't bad, but 4 is meh. Copp lol, gotta wait 2 more year's to buy him out as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Contracts aren't perfect, but nobody will be bought out.

Buyouts will hurt the future, and that's not the way.

Rather use low-round draft picks to buy cap space.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I doubt Copp is going anywhere, and I'm not sure we'd be thrilled with what actually happens if he was bought out. We have no one to replace him with right now and whoever we sign in UFA is probably just going to end up in the same "he's overpaid!" doghouse in short order.

The guy buys in to what the team wants from him and holds down 16 minutes a night without getting regularly caved in. I know that sounds like a low bar but it's a bar we couldn't clear on the third line before he showed up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well based on the trade yeasterday you’ll be giving up 1st rounders to get out of those deals.

Yeah, that's how the prices will act when Free Agency is knocking on the door next week.

It's a great possibility for for BIGGER POSITIVE upgrades, so maybe you can live with some smaller negatives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad