Confirmed with Link: POJ 1 year

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Nah, I imagine you're getting up there in age so time flies by for you pretty quickly.
I’d kind of say the opposite. He spends so much time thinking he is a prophet of doom that every year probably seems like an eternity.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
POJ is a decent defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he figures it out away from Mike Sullivan.
Right now we just need him to split the 6/7 role with Scott Perunovich. I assume he’s at least capable of that? And then possibly more?

Eventually being better than Torey Krug isn’t exactly the highest bar…

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Right now we just need him to split the 6/7 role with Scott Perunovich. I assume he’s at least capable of that? And then possibly more?

Therein lies the rub. If krug could reach a higher bar we wouldn’t have such a need to replace him!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah, he was utilized as Kris Letang’s partner and looked okay.

He’s very soft, but he’s decent.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He sounds like a finesse-centric tweener. Is that fair? I know little about him and am probably wrong. idk

I love it that both Js are in the org. That's exciting for me.

I’m trying to think of a comparable on the Blues and I can’t really come up with him.

He’s a solid skater, he has decent offensive abilities, but I wouldn’t call him offensive oriented. He’s not a train wreck defensively, but he’s certainly not someone I would call good.

He’s probably closer to an AHL guy then an NHL guy, but he shows flashes and won’t hurt you in low usage.

Hopefully he finds a consistent role with the Blues Ala Bortuzzo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m trying to think of a comparable on the Blues and I can’t really come up with him.

He’s a solid skater, he has decent offensive abilities, but I wouldn’t call him offensive oriented. He’s not a train wreck defensively, but he’s certainly not someone I would call good.

He’s probably closer to an AHL guy then an NHL guy, but he shows flashes and won’t hurt you in low usage.

Hopefully he finds a consistent role with the Blues Ala Bortuzzo.
In this description, he’s essentially our Calle Rosen replacement. That’s who he sounds like.

May bounce back and forth between the NHL and AHL.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
In this description, he’s essentially our Calle Rosen replacement. That’s who he sounds like.

May bounce back and forth between the NHL and AHL.
Maybe not a bad comp. Like @Gurglesons was saying, if he can carve out a NHL-level role of some type, then he's solid. So many talented hockey players cannot translate their talents to a useful NHL role. The NHL is more about combat than hockey, when compared to other leagues. The NHL requires the stomach to digest the fight.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think he’s better than that. POJ is only 25 and has played 40 more NHL games than Rosen.

I question if he’d make it through waivers tbh.
Rosen was surprisingly fairly solid for us, he is probably just a late bloomer compared to POJ. He put up 26 points in 73 games, he produced when called upon. He was a good skater, and not physical. Not a train wreck defensively but also not great either.

The description you gave of Joseph is the exact type of player that Rosen is. Joseph of course is younger and hopefully has some more potential left, but generally when RFAs don’t get qualified, that means they are waiver fodder. If Joseph is better than Rosen then cool, but it really shouldn’t be expected just because he’s a former 1st round pick. I am not sure how realistic it is for him to put up 30+ points over a full season and outproduce what Rosen gave us.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Rosen was surprisingly fairly solid for us, he is probably just a late bloomer compared to POJ. He put up 26 points in 73 games, he produced when called upon. He was a good skater, and not physical. Not a train wreck defensively but also not great either.

The description you gave of Joseph is the exact type of player that Rosen is. Joseph of course is younger and hopefully has some more potential left, but generally when RFAs don’t get qualified, that means they are waiver fodder. If Joseph is better than Rosen then cool, but it really shouldn’t be expected just because he’s a former 1st round pick. I am not sure how realistic it is for him to put up 30+ points over a full season and outproduce what Rosen gave us.
You’re talking the Rosen of 2 years ago? Rosen from last season didn’t contribute much at all.

I see POJ as more of a Scandella replacement than Rosen. I don’t expect him to have as good of a career as Scandy but compared to mid-30s Scandy? Yeah, he should at least be that caliber IMO.

Tyler Tucker’s skating isn’t remotely close to NHL caliber so I’ll be pretty surprised if POJ can’t beat him out for a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You’re talking the Rosen of 2 years ago? Rosen from last season didn’t contribute much at all.

I see POJ as more of a Scandella replacement than Rosen. I don’t expect him to have as good of a career as Scandy but compared to mid-30s Scandy? Yeah, he should at least be that caliber IMO.

Tyler Tucker’s skating isn’t remotely close to NHL caliber so I’ll be pretty surprised if POJ can’t beat him out for a spot.
It doesn’t matter at all what season of Rosen I’m talking about. I’m talking about the type of player POJ is. His game isn’t similar to Scandella’s at all.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It doesn’t matter at all what season of Rosen I’m talking about. I’m talking about the type of player POJ is. His game isn’t similar to Scandella’s at all.
Ok. You’re comparing them stylistically whereas I’m comparing them in terms of impact/caliber of player.

Agree that stylistically, he more resembles Rosen…but I expect him to be further up the depth chart than Rosen was. He’s a better version of Rosen.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ok. You’re comparing them stylistically whereas I’m comparing them in terms of impact/caliber of player.

Agree that stylistically, he more resembles Rosen…but I expect him to be further up the depth chart than Rosen was. He’s a better version of Rosen.
But he’s really not.

The Pittsburgh fan even said he’s closer to AHL caliber than NHL. The Penguins decided not to qualify him.

And now the argument is that he’s so much better than Rosen. Based on what?

It’s a pointless argument because it really doesn’t matter, but just pointing out some of the silliness in this thread (not you specifically, a lot of this is coming from that Pittsburgh fan contradicting himself).

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
But he’s really not.

The Pittsburgh fan even said he’s closer to AHL caliber than NHL. The Penguins decided not to qualify him.

And now the argument is that he’s so much better than Rosen. Based on what?

It’s a pointless argument because it really doesn’t matter, but just pointing out some of the silliness in this thread (not you specifically, a lot of this is coming from that Pittsburgh fan contradicting himself).
Yeah, no. Rosen is an AHL player who had career year in '22-23 that fooled some Blues' fans. POJ has established himself as (at least a marginal) NHL player. Whether POJ is a good D or not we will see, but he has already proven he is much better than Rosen.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, no. Rosen is an AHL player who had career year in '22-23 that fooled some Blues' fans. POJ has established himself as (at least a marginal) NHL player. Whether POJ is a good D or not we will see, but he has already proven he is much better than Rosen.
I’ll go with this. Seems like POJ is more than a tweener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad