Poile taken to hospital [Update: Blinded in right eye]

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
They hope its only temporary but if not maybe Poile will start wearing an eye patch and demand he be addressed as Poile the Pirate. He then goes on to become famous for plundering all the NHL teams young talent for aging vets and draft picks.

That, or he is "encouraged" by the ownership to retire for health reasons.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Poile doesn't scout anway. He collects opinions and weights everything everyone has to say and based on some methodical organized process that will be used to ultimately make a decision at some point down the road, in the future. That is until Martin Erat demands a trade, in which chase he has to make a decision on the fly.

However yes, you can still watch a hockey game with one eye, but I think it would be harder for sure.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
not gonna happen….
It would not shock me. With the disappointment of the last couple years, Poile getting old, and now with impaired vision, it seems like it's certainly a possibility he will be moved into some other capacity within the organization.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I have a feeling he might retire a year early after this debacle. They aren't sure how long - if ever - that it will take for him to get sight back in his right eye.

It's going to be a strange rest of the year - and off-season.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I have a feeling he might retire a year early after this debacle. They aren't sure how long - if ever - that it will take for him to get sight back in his right eye.

It's going to be a strange rest of the year - and off-season.

unless he has concussive symptoms that persist, I just don't see how losing sight in an eye is a career ender for guy who does his job largely with a telephone

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He does more than just make phone calls, Doc.

but nothing that only having one eye will affect. Again, unless he has post concussion syndrome, or just takes this as a sign from God, i don't see why it would force him to quit.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
There had been some rumblings about retirement before the accident. He's also not getting younger. I'd be a tad bit concerned about family medical history (Dad "Bud" had Alzheimer's) as well.

Volde, I don't know if you remember EriksT. Used to post here frequently. Right after his dad died (shortly after Sully debuted with the Preds), his mom had sudden bouts of memory loss. Dementia set in rather fast - and she wasn't "old and decrepit" by any means (she was roughly 65, just retired - though not willingly). The last handful of years of her life were horrible, and it's one main reason why he's living with an uncle in MKE.

I'm not saying a traumatic event would cause something like that in GMDP - that's for people who have letters other than "BS" behind their names like myself to guess and determine. But any sort of impact that close to the brain - and one that screws up your visual cortex - can have a traumatic effect on the system.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did resign or "move upstairs" during the off-season, and hand the full GM duties over to Fenton or someone else.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
unless he has concussive symptoms that persist, I just don't see how losing sight in an eye is a career ender for guy who does his job largely with a telephone
Poile doesn't like the telephone. "Call me old fashion but I prefer face-to-face meetings"--- when referencing if he had talked to Weber's (old) agent about an extension after being name captain.

He does watch a lot of film actually. Trying watching a game with one eye. It's doable, but certainly not eye-deal.

eye-deal.

1470.gif

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

I don't know. How many surgeries? How much time rehabbing? How long will hockey not be his focus? If he was soon to retire, I could see this pushing the time line.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Poile doesn't like the telephone. "Call me old fashion but I prefer face-to-face meetings"--- when referencing if he had talked to Weber's (old) agent about an extension after being name captain.

He does watch a lot of film actually. Trying watching a game with one eye. It's doable, but certainly not eye-deal.

Classy. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5