Poile and Weber inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wait, who is writing him off?
I'm kind of writing him off, tbh. I mean, I hope every one of our prospects makes it. But realistically, you can follow their progress even just online and guess that some of them aren't very likely to.

If it's any consolation for the Matier fan(s), I would write off lots of other players in our system similarly. Prokop, Wilsby, and Livingstone also on D, for example. MOST of the time, if a player is going to make the NHL, they show some signs even in their first pro years. There are always exceptions, so hopefully we'll find one, and who knows maybe Matier will be that one. I will be right here to praise anybody who boldly predicted his success if so. :thumbu:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm kind of writing him off, tbh. I mean, I hope every one of our prospects makes it. But realistically, you can follow their progress even just online and guess that some of them aren't very likely to.

If it's any consolation for the Matier fan(s), I would write off lots of other players in our system similarly. Prokop, Wilsby, and Livingstone also on D, for example. MOST of the time, if a player is going to make the NHL, they show some signs even in their first pro years. There are always exceptions, so hopefully we'll find one, and who knows maybe Matier will be that one. I will be right here to praise anybody who boldly predicted his success if so. :thumbu:
I know he's a different style of player but the fact that Ufko showed up and immediately jumped all of them on the depth chart isn't a great sign for then. Good players do occasionally come out of the ECHL but it's really uncommon and it's especially uncommon for those guys to be pretty pedestrian in the ECHL like Matier was.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The ECHL produces good goalies on a semi-regular basis, but otherwise it's very, very rare for a really good player to have spent time there. Alex Burrows might be the best skater to have spent time there and the rest are mostly bottom six or similar types.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah you are right. We should just write him off because he started in the echl. Whatta loser eh? Nobody has ever had success in the nhl that’s played in the echl… smh

I can’t wait until Matier is playing top 4 on the Preds. I am gonna just love the “you were right comments” coming my way hahahaha
Name me one Weber level of Dman that has ever started in the ECHL. In fact I'm gonna guess its pretty tough to find even a 2nd pairing Dman that started there.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Name me one Weber level of Dman that has ever started in the ECHL. In fact I'm gonna guess its pretty tough to find even a 2nd pairing Dman that started there.

Pretty impressive list. Point being, you cannot write off a guy that is 19 years old, is a monster, put up very good junior numbers, his ahl team he would play on was overloaded with veterans because he played on echl. Brutal.

Panthers never won a cup so I guess that’ll never happen by your logic too eh?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Sorry can't find such claim
For real?

From armourboy literally a few posts ago:

“Name me one Weber level of Dman that has ever started in the ECHL. In fact I'm gonna guess its pretty tough to find even a 2nd pairing Dman that started there.”

Essentially saying his best case is a bottom pair bum and won’t be a top pair let alone top 4.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
For real?

From armourboy literally a few posts ago:

“Name me one Weber level of Dman that has ever started in the ECHL. In fact I'm gonna guess its pretty tough to find even a 2nd pairing Dman that started there.”

Essentially saying his best case is a bottom pair bum and won’t be a top pair let alone top 4.
Oh, right, that one where he challenged you to name a Weber level player and questioned if there are too many 2nd pair guys either. He didn't say they're all busts or amount to nothing.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Oh, right, that one where he challenged you to name a Weber level player and questioned if there are too many 2nd pair guys either. He didn't say they're all busts or amount to nothing.
If I am high on a prospect who cares? For real. You wanna bash matier because nobody from the echl has ever lit it up in the NHL?

So because it hasn’t been done it can never happen? I posted a list of some very quality players who came from the echl.

Dude is 19 with lots of intangibles and Milwaukee was insane crowded. But yet he still got some time there.
Why even have him on the depth chart if he’s never going to amount to anything substantial? That’s the logic here?? That’s silly.

We will never win a cup because we never have before I guess too.

I don’t get the Matier ripping.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If I am high on a prospect who cares? For real. You wanna bash matier because nobody from the echl has ever lit it up in the NHL?

So because it hasn’t been done it can never happen? I posted a list of some very quality players who came from the echl.

Dude is 19 with lots of intangibles and Milwaukee was insane crowded. But yet he still got some time there.
Why even have him on the depth chart if he’s never going to amount to anything substantial? That’s the logic here?? That’s silly.

Dude is 21 btw

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Matier has some hope. Didnt seem too bad in his AHL games. Right now with our signed players for the AHL level i expect him to be on the 3rd pairing
Yes we shall certainly see next season if there’s hope for real. One can still use the excuse that Milwaukee had a veteran D corps and Atlanta was just horrifically bad last season. Most NHL-bound prospects would still find a way onto an AHL roster. But ok. Next season we shall see if those excuses hold water.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

I'm not bashing him. I haven't even stat watched the guy, so I have no idea. Just because someone isn't as high on him or points out that it doesn't happen very often that highly skilled players come out of ECHL doesn't mean they're bashing him or think he's automatically a bust. I mean if I don't like kiwi fruit it doesn't mean I think it causes cancer.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yes we shall certainly see next season if there’s hope for real. One can still use the excuse that Milwaukee had a veteran D corps and Atlanta was just horrifically bad last season. Most NHL-bound prospects would still find a way onto an AHL roster. But ok. Next season we shall see if those excuses hold water.
No it is certainly fair enough that they (him and Prokop) didnt play well enough to make the AHL. still quite possible they get another vet and send them both back to the echl. This will be a make or break year for both of em

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Pretty impressive list. Point being, you cannot write off a guy that is 19 years old, is a monster, put up very good junior numbers, his ahl team he would play on was overloaded with veterans because he played on echl. Brutal.

Panthers never won a cup so I guess that’ll never happen by your logic too eh?
If you just look at the skaters? Not really. The entire list is almost all goalies. Not a single Weber level player on that list that isn't a goalie.

Guys can make it from the ECHL to the NHL, but outside of a handful of goalies almost no skaters have been that impactful, certainly not to the 1 Dman level.

And I'd like to know where I bashed him, I just made a factual statement that your very list proves.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Scroll back
He said anyone who plays in echl is bust
And I never said that, not anywhere on this forum ever. What I said was that players to the level of Weber do not start in the ECHL and when it comes to forwards and Dmen your own list provided pretty much backs that up.

The exception to that is goalies, and as hit and miss as those guys can be its really not that surprising.

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
And I never said that, not anywhere on this forum ever. What I said was that players to the level of Weber do not start in the ECHL and when it comes to forwards and Dmen your own list provided pretty much backs that up.

The exception to that is goalies, and as hit and miss as those guys can be its really not that surprising.
Mostly it's not the hit or miss factor it's just that there's not a lot of ice time for goalies. If you have an AHL starter already it's better to get the goalies time starting somewhere. Also it's kind of a good training ground for goalies because the offensive talent tends to be ahead of the defensive play in the ECHL so it's pretty challenging.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

I said he has top four potential. You said nobody from the echl has ever been top 4 so maybe bust isn’t the word but you’re saying he won’t amount to what I think. Whatever. Don’t care. Matier is a bum. I don’t know hockey I guess. Cheers.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I said he has top four potential. You said nobody from the echl has ever been top 4 so maybe bust isn’t the word but you’re saying he won’t amount to what I think. Whatever. Don’t care. Matier is a bum. I don’t know hockey I guess. Cheers.
Yeah, well I guess we just have to wait and see if you're right and he's gonna be a multiple times Norris winner.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, well I guess we just have to wait and see if you're right and he's gonna be a multiple times Norris winner.
I said he was next Weber. How many Norris trophies did Weber win?

Anyways, I get it. I like him but most don’t. I’ll drop it.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I said he was next Weber. How many Norris trophies did Weber win?

Anyways, I get it. I like him but most don’t. I’ll drop it.
If you don't see what I just did there, then no, I don't think you're getting it.

In your mind you're twisting what others say for whatever reason. You're consistently doing what I just did there and misintrepet what has been said.

Just because they don't share your expectations / are more cautious doesn't mean they're thinking the polar opposite.

Back to topic. I'm surprised, but happy to see Weber in. I guess I too kinda fell victim to seeing it more through NHL accomplishments than hockey in general.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If you don't see what I just did there, then no, I don't think you're getting it.

In your mind you're twisting what others say for whatever reason. You're consistently doing what I just did there and misintrepet what has been said.

Just because they don't share your expectations / are more cautious doesn't mean they're thinking the polar opposite.

Back to topic. I'm surprised, but happy to see Weber in. I guess I too kinda fell victim to seeing it more through NHL accomplishments than hockey in general.
I corrected myself a few posts ago and said not bust but not top 4 either but good try. Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad