OT: PODCAST! Episode .....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BroadwayJay*

As discussed in the past, I, 1calledsteve and Tavares2therescue got together and decided to start putting together a podcast about advanced stats and the Islanders.

This is our first effort so it is a bit rough around the edges but I hope some folks want to give it a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/the-isle-test-325

We had some editing issues so some material got cut from various areas, but we'll correct that for next time.

Also, we encourage folks to jump in and give us some ideas and thoughts about questions for next week's podcast.

Enjoy!

Warning: I use some strong language, which I'll try to NOT do next time.

UPDATE 4/2: I'm adding the second episode to this post for ease of location:

March 25, 2015: https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/the-isle-test-325

April 2, 2015 (Slump is Over): https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/the-isles-test-41

April 9, 2015 (Mass Suicide): https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/episode-3

April 15, 2015 (Playoffs?!?): https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/...layoff-edition

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo=4

If you subscribe through iTunes you'll get the episodes immediately when we upload them. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
you should ask the isles for media passes....the fact that dan friedman is up there makes me thing you can get accredited as well haha.....enjoy some frozen pigs and a blanket in the press box for your work!

BroadwayJay*

you should ask the isles for media passes....the fact that dan friedman is up there makes me thing you can get accredited as well haha.....enjoy some frozen pigs and a blanket in the press box for your work!

Never! I pay my own way. One podcast does not make us journalists lol.

Plus it would be weird for a lawyer to moonlight as a journalist, right?

I really appreciate you guys giving us a listen and I look forward to questions coming in for us to address in next weeks program.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Never! I pay my own way. One podcast does not make us journalists lol.

Plus it would be weird for a lawyer to moonlight as a journalist, right?

I really appreciate you guys giving us a listen and I look forward to questions coming in for us to address in next weeks program.

haha, id rather listen to you and other HF posters on here than that buffoon friedman any day (sorry if he is a poster on here)

i guess frozen pigs in a blanket are more of a seller for me! we know the isles dont provide anything else ;)

BroadwayJay*

haha, id rather listen to you and other HF posters on here than that buffoon friedman any day (sorry if he is a poster on here)

i guess frozen pigs in a blanket are more of a seller for me! we know the isles dont provide anything else ;)

I kind of do like those pigs in a blanket...

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
As discussed in the past, I, 1calledsteve and Tavares2therescue got together and decided to start putting together a podcast about advanced stats and the Islanders.

This is our first effort so it is a bit rough around the edges but I hope some folks want to give it a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/1calledsteve/the-isle-test-325

We had some editing issues so some material got cut from various areas, but we'll correct that for next time.

Also, we encourage folks to jump in and give us some ideas and thoughts about questions for next week's podcast.

Enjoy!

Warning: I use some strong language, which I'll try to NOT do next time.

I can see you in court:

Jay: "Your honor, the defendant is &^%(in guilty. No frickin question about it!"

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Took a listen, not bad for the first time out. Maybe a little too much profanity on Jay's part for a broader audience, but I'm sure that'll be taken care of in the future.

I will admit, I'm being won over a little more these days about advanced stats. I use them more now to help validate what my eyes see than I ever have.

Good job guys.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I will admit, I'm being won over a little more these days about advanced stats. I use them more now to help validate what my eyes see than I ever have.

agreed, while i am NOT a huge proponent of heavily weighting corsi stats, it is helpful as a supplement

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
I'm listening right now and I love this, but one thing I'm wondering if it might be possible to use video? There are programs like screencast-o-matic which allow you to record your own computer screen. I'd love it if you could bring in some graphs and explain the data with different graphs and things presented on screen. Not sure if this is possible for you guys, but it would be really cool to help explain advanced stats to people.

BroadwayJay*

Took a listen, not bad for the first time out. Maybe a little too much profanity on Jay's part for a broader audience, but I'm sure that'll be taken care of in the future.

Good job guys.

Steve said he was going to bleep it out!!!!!!!!

I promise I'll be better next time, I swear it!

BroadwayJay*

I'm listening right now and I love this, but one thing I'm wondering if it might be possible to use video? There are programs like screencast-o-matic which allow you to record your own computer screen. I'd love it if you could bring in some graphs and explain the data with different graphs and things presented on screen. Not sure if this is possible for you guys, but it would be really cool to help explain advanced stats to people.

Yes, we're going to create chart supplements in the future. We discussed that last night. So we'll post the podcast and include a supplemental chart post with it for folks to follow along.

That's a project I'm determined to implement.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006

Jay on the podcast

Swearing.jpg

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island

Ah, I'm sorry I screwed the pooch on that one. It was annoying at 6am this morning putting it together, I know I caught like 3, but I didn't listen to it start finish and skimmed parts so I'm sure I missed some things.

And it will get much better over time, we did this over Skype and we would like to implement visual aids along with it but I know I don't speak for myself when I saw we appreciate the feed back regardless.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
agreed, while i am NOT a huge proponent of heavily weighting corsi stats, it is helpful as a supplement

Honestly I think this is the ultimate goal of most die hard advanced stats guys. I know personally I believe sports even on their own can be subjective and the randomness of every single play is impossible to quantify it.

I just enjoy using these metrics to help understand maybe what my eyes are seeing, but more specifically what they're not seeing. Its tough watching a broadcast, but at a game you can see plays develop and see what the other 9 skaters are doing without the puck on the ice and a lot of advanced metric help describe what is going on.

Its like in football and not watching the QB or the ball. Watching the O-line blocking assignments, actually watching the secondary of a defense break down into coverage. Things that often go unnoticed to the casual observer.

BroadwayJay*

Honestly I think this is the ultimate goal of most die hard advanced stats guys. I know personally I believe sports even on their own can be subjective and the randomness of every single play is impossible to quantify it.

I just enjoy using these metrics to help understand maybe what my eyes are seeing, but more specifically what they're not seeing. Its tough watching a broadcast, but at a game you can see plays develop and see what the other 9 skaters are doing without the puck on the ice and a lot of advanced metric help describe what is going on.

Its like in football and not watching the QB or the ball. Watching the O-line blocking assignments, actually watching the secondary of a defense break down into coverage. Things that often go unnoticed to the casual observer.

Unrelated, but I look forward to the day when we wear VR helmets and can have full vision and turn our heads, etc...

Like with five views in the whole arena being replaced by 360 cameras and you can move between those seats with your view.

That'll be the day. We can't be that far away.

Anyway, that was off-topic. Enjoy the podcast folks. Send in questions for next week as you think of them.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Guys -- great effort. I'm about 60.342% of the way through it.

I did chuckle when Jay was like "nobody can be upset about how the Isles played last night (based on the "corsi #"s)." and someone else mentioned "aside from them losing, you mean".. .or something like that. You stats guys crack me up.

Good back and forth -- I still don't care about the stats part -- but its entertaining and educational.

You guys should be drinking while do it, though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad