Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Rangers 6, Penguins 1 | Insert sarcastic title here

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
can you see any scenario other than injuries that would put Bennett back in the line-up? If we struggle enough here, might they look to him to shake things up?

Thats one thing that makes the Morrow trade such a head scratcher. I get that they had no idea if they'd get Iginla, but Bennett shouldn't have been forced out of this lineup either. He was easily one of their best defensive forwards.

nTsplnk*

First off, not a man.

Second, I didn't say at all that they worked so hard they gave up a record number of goals and I have no idea where you took that anything I posted, so I'm calling straw man on that. What I'm saying is that they played with intensity and I didn't see them looking lazy, I saw them looking stupid. As a result of being overly intense. And overly stupid.

They didn't play with intensity though-they just got in after play scrums all the time. They lost every battle in the defensive zone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
can you see any scenario other than injuries that would put Bennett back in the line-up? If we struggle enough here, might they look to him to shake things up?

I see a team struggling with their defensive assignments (most especially the fwds) and transition game. BB was already one of their best defensive fwds and probably their third or fourth best player at transitioning the puck up ice. I get that he is a rookie, but he makes your team better.

So ya common sense dictates you get him back in the lineup ASAP. However, we all know DB isn't likely to sit a Glass or TK to make room for him. Hopefully he does and shows us he is changing in that regard.

This is about icing a lineup of your best players, not trying to fit square pegs into round holes because Shero acquired Glass, Iggy, JJ, Morrow, and Murray.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I said before I expected a fall out when the streak ended, especially when the injuries started to add up, new guys were brought in and BB got sent back. I kind of expect them to sea saw a bit over the next half dozen games, then hit their stride again in the last several before the playoffs.

Yeap same thing happened to the Hawks after their streak, injuries caught up and they got beat up pretty bad by the Avs and Oilers(although they got close to coming back in that game).

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Morrow was not a need. Forgetting the fact he is slow and simply can't keep up with transition game the Pens play. Giving up Joe Morrow for him is and was very bad judgement of like and kind assets.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
We need to figure out some line combos fast and bleeping stick to them. Seems like no one knows where they're supposed to be because Disco keeps futzing with them during the game. When you don't know which position you're in on the line that you're on, that's an issue. Moving Iggy to LW and switching Neal back to his old LW is just borderline ridiculous. Not sure what the thinking is there at all.

What I'd suggest while Sid is still out :

Kunitz Malkin Neal
Dupuis Jokinen Iggy
Morrow Sutter TK
Cooke Vitale/Adams Adams/Glass

When Sid comes back:
Dupuis Sid Iggy
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Morrow Sutter Jokinen
Cooke Vitale/Adams Adams/Glass/TK

Ideally I'd put BB back on Malkin's LW but we all know that's never going to happen. Morrow shouldn't really be anywhere above the 3rd line. He just can't keep up. Sure, use him to park in front of the net on a PP unit. Perfect world :

Kunitz Sid Iggy
BB Malkin Neal
Jokinen Sutter Dupuis
Morrow Vitale/Adams Adams/TK
DJ
Glass

That is one deep lineup.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Man that was such a dreadful game to be at. Hearing that friggin' Goal Song 6 times. All I did after they went down 4-0 is count down the minutes until that was over. Yack.

Team got outhustled all night long.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
We need to figure out some line combos fast and bleeping stick to them. Seems like no one knows where they're supposed to be because Disco keeps futzing with them during the game. When you don't know which position you're in on the line that you're on, that's an issue. Moving Iggy to LW and switching Neal back to his old LW is just borderline ridiculous. Not sure what the thinking is there at all.

What I'd suggest while Sid is still out :

Kunitz Malkin Neal
Dupuis Jokinen Iggy
Morrow Sutter TK
Cooke Vitale/Adams Adams/Glass

When Sid comes back:
Dupuis Sid Iggy
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Morrow Sutter Jokinen
Cooke Vitale/Adams Adams/Glass/TK

Ideally I'd put BB back on Malkin's LW but we all know that's never going to happen. Morrow shouldn't really be anywhere above the 3rd line. He just can't keep up. Sure, use him to park in front of the net on a PP unit. Perfect world :

Kunitz Sid Iggy
BB Malkin Neal
Jokinen Sutter Dupuis
Morrow Vitale/Adams Adams/TK
DJ
Glass

That is one deep lineup.

I really don't like any plan that has the lines being switched again when Crosby comes back because there's a good chance he won't be back until playoffs. Then you're entering a playoff series with line combinations that haven't played together in a month and have to build chemistry on the fly.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I really don't like any plan that has the lines being switched again when Crosby comes back because there's a good chance he won't be back until playoffs. Then you're entering a playoff series with line combinations that haven't played together in a month and have to build chemistry on the fly.

Crosby does well with anyone he's put with (Andy Hilbert). We need to get Geno going now and that means putting him back with Kunitz or BB. Iggy and Neal on the same line is just nonsense. It doesn't work.

And we're going to have different line combos when he comes back no matter what.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
After having a day to process the weak effort and play the last 2 games, we really have to be realistic here.

We just need healthy bodies back, especially on the back end.

Theres a place for Morrow on this team with our full roster. Inserting Bennett in for someone else won't fix all of our defensive problems.

They have a month to get healthy and find the right line combos but we have to lower our expectations a little these next few games with what we have to work with.

The additions of Jokinen and Letang coming back should give us a little boost.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It's unreal to me that Jokinen was worth a 7th and B. Morrow was worth J. Morrow. I just can't comprehend that. I know Jussi has another year... But is that really the difference in the value b/w the two?!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Jokinen - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Morrow - Vitale - Adams

When Sid gets back

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Morrow - Vitale - Adams

insert Jokinen somewhere based on play between now and then. He can play either wing or center and both special teams, so if anyone is hurt or underperforming, throw JJ in.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The lines barely changed at all in his scenario. The only moving parts where Jokinen and TK. The goal is to set up the 1st and 2nd lines to make the most sense and swap Kennedy for Jokinen once Sid is back. You let Morrow-Sutter develop chemistry (although I'd probably rather keep Cookie there and slide Morrow down to 4th line).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Jokinen - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Morrow - Vitale - Adams

When Sid gets back

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
Morrow - Vitale - Adams

insert Jokinen somewhere based on play between now and then. He can play either wing or center and both special teams, so if anyone is hurt or underperforming, throw JJ in.

That looks good to me but it will never happen.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This would be my plans while Crosby is out.

Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Jokinen-Iginla
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Then when Crosby comes back...

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke/Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Jokinen/Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
I'm wondering if we should have traded for Clowe instead of Morrow. I guess time will tell of Morrow is in a beast mode come playoffs.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The lines barely changed at all in his scenario. The only moving parts where Jokinen and TK. The goal is to set up the 1st and 2nd lines to make the most sense and swap Kennedy for Jokinen once Sid is back. You let Morrow-Sutter develop chemistry (although I'd probably rather keep Cookie there and slide Morrow down to 4th line).

Sorry, I'm assuming Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line is set in stone. It's the only sure thing the Pens have.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
It looked like the same team that in February had lost 2 games in a row against NJD and then FLA/CAR.
Seems like they needs a shock of 2 lose now and then to recharge.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Any concievable way that JJ gets time on the second line and takes some draws for Geno?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
You are likely right, I just don't think it's best for the team.

What else can they do though? Crosby is very likely out until playoffs now, so there's no time for him to form chemistry with new linemates, but the same applies to using temporary lines - it'll mean new line combos for playoffs, and chemistry will have to be formed again.

I mean, even going with Kunitz-Malkin-Neal isn't a sure thing because Malkin hasn't been anywhere close to the same player he was last season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What else can they do though? Crosby is very likely out until playoffs now, so there's no time for him to form chemistry with new linemates, but the same applies to using temporary lines - it'll mean new line combos for playoffs, and chemistry will have to be formed again.

I mean, even going with Kunitz-Malkin-Neal isn't a sure thing because Malkin hasn't been anywhere close to the same player he was last season.

maybe because he has to do more board work and puck chasing than he had to last season?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Well I don't think Malkin has been bad at all. He's dealt with injuries and had a revolving door of left wingers all year. That certainly has impacted his productivity. So moving Kunitz back with him would bring back a proven combo that we know will work if given time.

My opinion is that the best top 6 in the playoffs for this team is either:

Duper-Sid-Iggy
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

or

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy
Morrow-Malkin-Neal with Duper on the 3rd line RW

Both of these options keep Sid with a speedy/gritty winger that will get the puck and open up space for Sid and Iggy to work. From the 3 games I've seen, Iggy has been much more of a triggerman than the 1st guy on the forecheck. He can definitely do far more than just shoot, but I think his skills are maximized with Sid since Geno already has Neal for the triggerman spot. Plus, Neal is a proven RW here and Iggy has been a RW his entire career. Why move guys from their proven positions?

That leaves the bottom 6 as either:

Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams/Kennedy

or

Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Adams

There are some moving parts here, but that 2nd bottom 6 is freakin awesome. Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis could be a pretty good offensive line. Cooke-Vitale-Adams would be such a nasty 4th line.

There are so many options. I just wish Dan would realize the obvious: Iggy was mean for Sid

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad