Please vote for the best player*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Please vote for the best player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Also - YOU post on the history forum, and you have some of the worst takes ever - ie assists count for almost nothing.

Alright, well I can see you are willing to misrepresent, so there is nothing more to be done here. Thanks for proving my point.

And for the record, my actual opinion is that primary assists are worth quite a bit, and secondary assists are worth a fraction of what a goal or primary assist ought to be worth. This is backed up with a mountain of data.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
According to the HFBoards History of Hockey panel who have a lot of knowledge on this subject, they have ranked the players as follows:

5) Bobby Hull
6) Jean Beliveau
7) Patrick Roy
8) Doug Harvey
9) Maurice Richard
10) Ray Bourque
11) Howie Morenz
12) Sidney Crosby
13) Dominik Hasek
14) Eddie Shore
15) Nicklas Lidstrom
16) Jaromir Jagr
17) Red Kelly
18) Denis Potvin
19) Jacques Plante
20) Frank Nighbor
21) Mark Messier
22) Alex Ovechkin
23) Guy Lafleur

Which is the exact same order that OP has them listed in the poll.

The list was made in 2018, so Crosby and Ovechkin may have climbed the list a few spots since that time (or they may not have).

And for me personally, I find the History of Hockey panel's list to be significantly more accurate than any other list I've read.

Players like Hull, Beliveau, Harvey, Richard, Morenz and Shore often get completely ignored by most casual fans.

The fact that Lidstrom has 3x the number of votes as Harvey, Bourque and Shore, three defencemen who most certainly rank higher than him all-time, goes to show the recency bias of many posters.
Morenz was a drunk who played against carpenters and farmers.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The poster never said "Getzlaf is better than Ovechkin all-time" - he specifically said he liked him better. Knowing how much you hate Crosby and are a Caps fan, I'm sure you like Tom Wilson better than Crosby. He also said that although Ovechkin obviously ranks higher all time, he would take Getzlaf on his team first. Nothing wrong with that - he wasn't saying Getzlaf was better, just that he liked him better.

For the record - in the Top 100 project, 201 players received at least one vote. Getzlaf didn't get a single one.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
According to the HFBoards History of Hockey panel who have a lot of knowledge on this subject, they have ranked the players as follows:

5) Bobby Hull
6) Jean Beliveau
7) Patrick Roy
8) Doug Harvey
9) Maurice Richard
10) Ray Bourque
11) Howie Morenz
12) Sidney Crosby
13) Dominik Hasek
14) Eddie Shore
15) Nicklas Lidstrom
16) Jaromir Jagr
17) Red Kelly
18) Denis Potvin
19) Jacques Plante
20) Frank Nighbor
21) Mark Messier
22) Alex Ovechkin
23) Guy Lafleur

Which is the exact same order that OP has them listed in the poll.

The list was made in 2018, so Crosby and Ovechkin may have climbed the list a few spots since that time (or they may not have).

And for me personally, I find the History of Hockey panel's list to be significantly more accurate than any other list I've read.

Players like Hull, Beliveau, Harvey, Richard, Morenz and Shore often get completely ignored by most casual fans.

The fact that Lidstrom has 3x the number of votes as Harvey, Bourque and Shore, three defencemen who most certainly rank higher than him all-time, goes to show the recency bias of many posters.

IMO, these lists tend to severely overrate players from the distant past, to the detriment of modern talent like Crosby and Ovechkin.

Who here can claim to have watched enough of Howie Morenz to compare him to Crosby or Ovechkin? He started playing 100 years ago and had his career and life cut short at the age of 34…

I get that he was one of the very first HOFers, and a pioneer for the game of hockey, but how can you compare that to the achievements of the modern day legends who play the game at the most competitive level of all time?

The game was completely different and still in its infancy. The gap between amateur players and professionals was significantly smaller than it is today. Guys could not pass the puck forwards until 1929.

To me, the list is meaningless because it mostly compares apples to oranges. I can’t see how you could compare a goalie from the 1930s to a winger from the 2010s.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Between Jagr, Crosby, and Hasek for me. Went Jagr but I'm good with any of the three.

The history of hockey board tends to overrate older players just like the poll board tends to overrate 90's players.

Kenneth C Russell

Feb 23, 2022
This was a tough one. Lots of good names left off the list. I'd have to say Borque. I have Hasek best goalie of all time and for that I almost went with the Dominator but I chose Borque because he's the 2nd most dominant D of all time behind Orr and ahead of Lidstrom. Don't worry Crosby fans he cracked the top 10 on this list... Though he was edged out of the top 5 thanks to including SOME worthy players like Ovechkin and Jagr. I have Jagr at number 5.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I think some people are confusing best with greatest. Hasek definitely has an argument for 5th best player of all time, but has no argument for 5th greatest player of all time. It’s basically the opposite of Ovechkin or Richard who have little to no argument to be considered the 5th best player of all time, but could be considered the 5th greatest if you put a big emphasis on their goalscoring legacy.

Its not a big difference, but it’s one worth noting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad