Please vote for the best player*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Please vote for the best player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Roy, though I strongly considered Hasek.

It might not be the more popular opinion, but I have my reasons. Roy raised his game in the playoffs, his success often came while dragging a lesser team around him, and he revolutionized the position by being a pioneer of the butterfly stance.

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I need to re-evaluate Crosby and OV when they retire. Until then, these are my top seven in this poll:

1. Bobby Hull
2. Jean Beliveau
3. Patrick Roy
4. Doug Harvey
5. Maurice Richard
6. Ray Bourque
Howie Morenz
Damn no hasek in your top 7 ?

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ovechkin AINEC. Havent even heard of half these guys lol

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Crosby
Béliveau

After that, some combination of Jagr, Roy, Hasek, Harvey and Hull

Crosby is the best player since Lemieux, IMO, but Béliveau has an argument too; he comes to the table with f***ing 10 Stanley Cup rings. One for every single fingers, thumbs inclueded while being the best player on his teams, or second best.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Crosby
Béliveau

After that, some combination of Jagr, Roy, Hasek, Harvey and Hull

Crosby is the best player since Lemieux, IMO, but Béliveau has an argument too; he comes to the table with f***ing 10 Stanley Cup rings. One for every single fingers, thumbs inclueded while being the best player on his teams, or second best.
10 rings in the O6 is like 2 today.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It blows my mind that Hasek is #5 lol

Top 10? Absolutly!

But Crosby is hard to pass on imo

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
According to the HFBoards History of Hockey panel who have a lot of knowledge on this subject, they have ranked the players as follows:

5) Bobby Hull
6) Jean Beliveau
7) Patrick Roy
8) Doug Harvey
9) Maurice Richard
10) Ray Bourque
11) Howie Morenz
12) Sidney Crosby
13) Dominik Hasek
14) Eddie Shore
15) Nicklas Lidstrom
16) Jaromir Jagr
17) Red Kelly
18) Denis Potvin
19) Jacques Plante
20) Frank Nighbor
21) Mark Messier
22) Alex Ovechkin
23) Guy Lafleur

Which is the exact same order that OP has them listed in the poll.

The list was made in 2018, so Crosby and Ovechkin may have climbed the list a few spots since that time (or they may not have).

And for me personally, I find the History of Hockey panel's list to be significantly more accurate than any other list I've read.

Players like Hull, Beliveau, Harvey, Richard, Morenz and Shore often get completely ignored by most casual fans.

The fact that Lidstrom has 3x the number of votes as Harvey, Bourque and Shore, three defencemen who most certainly rank higher than him all-time, goes to show the recency bias of many posters.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby. I usually go with him for #5. I like how complete his resume is.

Peak ability: - as good/better than anyone here (I know he didn't quite get to put as good a full peak season as others due to health, but peak ability is strong)
Prime length/consistency - Probably #1 here
Playoffs - Probably not #1, but very close. Maybe close to ~top 5 here?
International resume - Not sure if #1 here, but very high

Other names I have close are Roy, Beliveau and Jagr.

Roy I like also because how complete his resume is. Fantastic prime length/consistency, great peak in regular season (not quite as high as Hasek maybe, but still fantastic overall). And obviously for playoffs - insane. #1 here, probably gives Gretzky a run for his money for #1 overall.

I like Jagr because of his peak/prime in the late 90s. 5 Art Rosses are insane, in a very competitive era too. He has great career length too, which helps. Doesn't quite have the playoff peak as others, but still performed great on an individual basis in playoffs.

Beliveau - good comparable to Crosby. Very complete resume.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It blows my mind that Hasek is #5 lol

Top 10? Absolutly!

But Crosby is hard to ass on imo

I prefer Roy to Hasek, and have Hasek closer to #10-11 all time, but I don't know that it should blow your mind. His peak is really spectacular, it's easy to gravitate towards that when ranking. I don't have him that high, but doesn't surprise me many do

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad