Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some of the replies in this thread idiotic.
Thank God it's the weekend.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Point 18:29
Kucherov 19:06
Ovechkin 21:09
Kuznetsov 18:43
Bergeron 18:51
Marchand 19:50
Pasternak 19:11
Crosby 20:33

Matthews 18:08
Marner 19:37

I don't see the problem here.....

No...just no. We don't need 'muscles' that we use sparingly when we are one of the top offensive teams around. They provide zero value.

Again no. We can build 2 quality PP units and have them share the time, no not equally but we don't need to have one unit on the entire 2 minutes (unless of course they end up with sustain pressure the entire 2 minutes)

This one I agree with, I would like to see a bit more of a physical presence on our back end.
I looked at the minutes each of these players played in their most recent game.​

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I couldn't disagree more about the muscle.

The minute you start trying to emulate other teams strengths you weaken yours and become a janky version of theirs.
Agreed but hockey is a game of intimidation to some degree. It always has been and always will unless they take hitting out and then I am done with the game myself. But as long as there is a physical element to the game smaller softer players can get outgunned when the whistle goes away in the playoffs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Stacking the PP makes loads of sense IMO except...

I believe the Leafs are intentionally holding back Matthews' and Marner's minutes until they're signed long term. They'll only cost more with the extra opportunity.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I looked at the minutes each of these players played in their most recent game.​

Interesting what happens when you take the whole season instead of one game. It's quite possible there were more PP opportunities that led to them have 20+ minutes. During the average though our star players are right there with those that are considered stars on the 'Best Teams'

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
kyle needs to sign every guy below, seriously hes an idiot if he doesn't

Point 18:29
Kucherov 19:06
Ovechkin 21:09
Kuznetsov 18:43
Bergeron 18:51
Marchand 19:50
Pasternak 19:11
Crosby 20:33

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Miles Wood could be an interesting pick up. From what ive seen hes fast, physical, and somewhat big. Also chips in some offence. i think he would be a good target. Maby trade brown for him straight up? plus a 3rd or something.
He's dumb as a rock. No hockey IQ at all.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Interesting what happens when you take the whole season instead of one game. It's quite possible there were more PP opportunities that led to them have 20+ minutes. During the average though our star players are right there with those that are considered stars on the 'Best Teams'
Where do you see these numbers? I didn’t even go to more extreme examples like Barkov?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Let's see if Dubas can do for the Leafs what he did with the Marlies, bring in the right amount of sandpaper to complement out skill.

Reactions: Cobra777

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You make a trade with a goal to get size, you lose because you sacrifice speed and skill.

You draft for size, you lose because you leave speed and skill on the table.

Take the most speed and skill available and if they happen to have size too that’s great.

If other teams are sacrificing speed and skill for size, I call that a market inefficiency and hope we take advantage.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I couldn't disagree more about the muscle.

The minute you start trying to emulate other teams strengths you weaken yours and become a janky version of theirs.
I disagree, played the game enough to know that everyone plays better when they know their is accountability backing them up. Like Marchand, he knows he’s got Chara, Mcqaid, Miller , Backes and so on. When that muscle is coming at you, you back off (one of the TSN commentators made the remark that when he sat in the stands near the Leafs bench in the third period of game 7 against the Bruins last year, the Leaf youngsters looked terrified. These are boys against men). I do believe that a couple of Ryan Reeve types is what we need. In the Nashville game, after Watson demolished Johnsson; one of the commentators remarked that with the fact there was no retaliation, it told Nashville that it was “open season” on the Leafs.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Disagree on playing the first unit the entire PP, and on playing our top forwards 21+ mpg. But I do agree we need more toughness for the playoffs. It seems pretty likely we’ll play the Bruins in the 1st round, and with current rosters I’d give the Bruins about a 90% chance of winning the series. The physicality and intensity will ramp up in the playoffs, and our team is quite soft, I see us getting physically and mentally dominated by the Bruins, and losing the series, unless we make some changes.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed but hockey is a game of intimidation to some degree. It always has been and always will unless they take hitting out and then I am done with the game myself. But as long as there is a physical element to the game smaller softer players can get outgunned when the whistle goes away in the playoffs.

So bring back Martin, Polak and Orr... that will work out well.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
2nd in the league for most of the season

not a playoff team

okay

You know that the teams that you cite as "better" examples are lower in the standings, right?

I think what he means is the team is not built for the playoffs. I have been saying that on another site and get bashed for it. Management hasn't done a thing to strengthen the defense and toughness on this team which it severely lacks. Fine and dandy in the regular season but too many soft players on this team lacking grit and sacrifice to go deep into the playoffs. Tavares signing was great. Nylander signing like the kid but overpaid and far as I'm concerned not a team player, but still some intangibles missing. I think Dubas will address it but if they don't I have concerns it's going to be another early exit.

Reactions: stuart5035
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad