Confirmed with Link: PLD TRADED TO WASHINGTON for Darcy Kuemper

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

They use the term “game used” very liberally to describe this jersey. I bet he didn’t even break a sweat while wearing this.

They also should be paying a fan to take this dust collector out of their storage.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Except at the end of the day, the Caps on some level believe that they alone can fix him and he is the guy that will push Ovi over the top. Otherwise as people are saying, they could’ve just bought out Kuemper and signed some generic UFA and still saved money and time.

We know that the whole idea that PLD will give them short term gain in exchange for long term pain makes no sense to begin with. It’s the same logic as trading Gaborik for Phaneuf because even though he’s overpaid, Phaneuf is a better option than any generic defenseman out there. Adding him will screw Washington in both the short term and the long term because PLD is not a good player just as Phaneuf was not a good player.

Welcome to the hard cap world. The second you take any sort of risk, you open yourself up to potential shit. Look at the Kings prior to the Cup. They took a shot with Penner, and he wasn't productive. They doubled down on that with Richards, and he wasn't what they needed, as they were on the edge of the playoffs on the day they traded for Carter a year later. Gagne, another injury prone player, of course, got hurt. And only by the grace of God did Carter cry his way out of Columbus. If he was happy there, 2012 doesn't happen.

Everyone is throwing darts at the board at some point.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
So, Blake traded Vilardi, Iafallo and Kupari and all he has to show for it now is Keumper. Heck of a deal. And I wonder why the Kings are not going to win the cup for another 10 yeaars. Heck they won't even make the playoffs with this type of deal making.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I was just going to post this and see you mentioned it... here it is

What this indicated to me is word around town is that the Kings org is at least as suspect as PLD was in his failure

It’s very amusing to see that you can be on your 4th team in 4 years and you’ll still be considered a desirable player that “doesn’t come available often” by NHL GM’s as long as you’ve got size and look like a hockey player.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

They use the term “game used” very liberally to describe this jersey. I bet he didn’t even break a sweat while wearing this.

They also should be paying a fan to take this dust collector out of their storage.

huh, this thing smells like Tide

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It’s very amusing to see that you can be on your 4th team in 4 years and you’ll still be considered a desirable player that “doesn’t come available often” by NHL GM’s as long as you’ve got size and look like a hockey player.
And most importantly, Canadian.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
They look at his 2 seasons before arrival in the viral soup of the LAK org and see 27 and 28 goals.. thats what I think is seducing them.. i know he's a bum, you know he's a bum, but GMs didnt llive through the season like we did and are not dialed in.. there is also grass is greener.. you have Kuemper's contract that keeps you up at night, you'll be susceptible to falling for something as repugnant as PLD

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
So, Cap coach Carberry must deal with this. He's the biggest loser in the deal.
He's probbaly texting Hiller "hey, I heard about this point -carrot system you implemented for PL.
This is a joke....right?'

No response. 'it's a joke, right?'
Hiller finally responds. 'No, it's real. I'd suggest a few new wrinkles...2 points for every assist to Ovi.
1 point for a successful zone entry....and don't take away points for missed assignments, board battle loss...a minus 1 (or more) game. That won't go over well. Only give points, don't take any away...you'd end up in the negatives, the point system is to give points and it's a little ego stroking....albeit at a 12 year old metality level'

Carberry. 'this is a joke, right? This is the NHL. We are not doing this. If we don't, what can we realistically expect?'

Hiller. 'good luck?'

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Welcome to the hard cap world. The second you take any sort of risk, you open yourself up to potential shit. Look at the Kings prior to the Cup. They took a shot with Penner, and he wasn't productive. They doubled down on that with Richards, and he wasn't what they needed, as they were on the edge of the playoffs on the day they traded for Carter a year later. Gagne, another injury prone player, of course, got hurt. And only by the grace of God did Carter cry his way out of Columbus. If he was happy there, 2012 doesn't happen.

Everyone is throwing darts at the board at some point.

Sure, only one team can win every year. But at least try to stack the deck in your favor. If you don’t have elite cornerstone pieces that you drafted, you’re putting a LOT of faith in those darts. The Lombardi-era Kings didn’t start throwing darts until they had Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick as top players at their respective positions. Today, our two best players are late-20’s wingers (Kempe and Fiala) who aren’t even the best of the best. I would argue that we don’t have a single top 50 player on our team, and we likely all agree that we don’t have a top 30 player. You don’t often see free agents lead their teams to Stanley Cups. It’s almost always home-grown talent leading the way.

Winning is a lot of luck, putting yourself in a position to win is not.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
A shame about Ullmark, you obviously take him over Kuemper but there's no way that's a straight up 1-to-1 deal. We most likely give up a key asset or 2, further weakening the team. There was a time when I thought Bluc and Co. drafted some pretty solid players, but that doesn't mean shit when you can't develop them worth a damn or trade them away before they ripen. They're still stuck in the mindset that everyone needs to pay their dues in the AHL, when US college programs and Canadian junior leagues have arguably surpassed the AHL for development.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I think there were rumblings at the deadline he vetoed a trade to Colorado
There was mention of Colorado and the Kings being the possible teams. That Boston reporter, Jimmy Murphy, was adamant at the deadline that it wasn't the Kings that Ullmark vetoed the deal to (though he noted they were talking with Boston about Ullmark).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad