Playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 98 66.7%

• Total voters

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lol... watch Dach and Laine get injured early in the season and this place crashes and burns :D

I really hope that Habs will have better luck with injuries this season. Enough already.
Laine was a Hail-Mary move. A huge bonus if he works out, a minor detour if he doesn't.

On the other hand, Dach was a key addition. If he somehow can't get beyond injuries, it's a big opportunity lost. I'm one of those guys who believes he could be our best player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine was a Hail-Mary move. A huge bonus if he works out, a minor detour if he doesn't.

On the other hand, Dach was a key addition. If he somehow can't get beyond injuries, it's a big opportunity lost. I'm one of those guys who believes he could be our best player.
I'm rooting for Kirby so hard. It's tragic the way he hasn't managed to stay healthy.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No we wont make it. Not enough experience. And before someone says it, no, acquiring more experience would not have helped cause it would have removed our future from the lineup in favor of guys on the decline (with a big contract) or guys not good enough. Just have to wait for our kids to acquire said experience. Be patient. They can make a run for it though. I could see them finishing 4 to 6 points off a playoffs position and around 20th - 22th in the league. I think they can make it in 2025-26 though TB will be getting old at that point.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Said no but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong, I low key think we might even be buyers for a low cost rental at the deadline this year, will be interesting! If Guhle takes a big step and becomes a legit top pair D and Montembeault keeps being solid I think we make it, but hopefully no big injuries this year.

Reactions: Sorinth

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I just think it is shaping up to be another, but hopefully our last, write off year. Every team is counting on their young players to get better, Hughes isn't going to make any win now moves until Demidov and Reinbacher are both wearing a Habs jersey.

The defense is still weak, the goalie is still a question mark, and our core is incredibly injury prone. Most of these problems should fix themselves with the prospects we have, but it isn't happening next year. 1 more year of pain seems likely.
You could be right, but another bottom-5 finish means Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Slaf, Xhekaj, Roy, Newhook, Struble, Montembeault, Primeau aren't any better than last year, and Dach and Laine are probably injured again. That's a really bad sign. We can't keep repeating, "Wait until next year". This is the year we need to see some progress.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You could be right, but another bottom-5 finish means Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Slaf, Xhekaj, Roy, Newhook, Struble, Montembeault, Primeau aren't any better than last year, and Dach and Laine are probably injured again. That's a really bad sign. We can't keep repeating, "Wait until next year". This is the year we need to see some progress.
I think we would've seen it last year without the injuries.

That's why I think we're due for a big bounce this year. Maybe not enough to make the playoffs but I think we'll see something like a 10-15 point jump.

We've paid our dues to the injury bug. I just can't see us having that catastrophic a season injury wise again this year.

Reactions: Lshap

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We're still not a playoffs team. But with the addition of Laine, we're probably where I wanted us to be before the start of the summer: In the 10-16th pick range.

Reactions: LaP

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I wouldn't bet on making it because it's hard but I would be surprised if we aren't close, especially at TDL where Hughes will be in a tough spot because you don't want to sell and essentially tell the team we don't believe in you.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Oh I hope I'm wrong I want to compete ASAP, but that's the scary part of rebuilding - sometimes you get to the end of the rebuild and you still aren't ready to compete

The annoying part to me is that this team and management still has built in excuses for not competing for the next 3 years.

Last 2 years? "Injuries"
This year? "Team is too young"
Next year? "You can't expect Demidov to deliver in his rookie season"
Year after? "Gallagher is finally off the books this year, let's just wait another season"

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Our last real playoffs was during season 2016/2017. More than 5 seasons...

The pLaYoFfS of 2019/2020 and the pLaYoFfS of 2020/2021 aren't real playoffs.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
We should be on the cusp of the playoffs. Probably on the outside. But it’s a springboard year for 2025-26 where a playoff run is in the cards.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is the year where Monty and or Primeau step up...that will be key.
I personally believe Monty will step up this year and finally show he is the real deal.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Habs really need a good defense coach. Robidas ain't it. Neither is Marty with his hail mary "system".
Need da strukture.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think we would've seen it last year without the injuries.

That's why I think we're due for a big bounce this year. Maybe not enough to make the playoffs but I think we'll see something like a 10-15 point jump.

We've paid our dues to the injury bug. I just can't see us having that catastrophic a season injury wise again this year.
Yeah, 10-15 more points gets my vote. That's a realistic incremental gain for this young roster.

Seems we're talking about injuries every year. If it happens again, we have to look beyond bad luck and look for hidden defects.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, 10-15 more points gets my vote. That's a realistic incremental gain for this young roster.

Seems we're talking about injuries every year. If it happens again, we have to look beyond bad luck and look for hidden defects.
If Dach gets hurt again, we're making other plans. It's that simple.

If CC gets hurt again, it's going to really cast doubt on his future as well. He's still young so it's not the same thing, but he was looking like a blue chip 40 goal guy and if that goes away, then our rebuild has taken a step back. Guhle's another guy I hope has a healthy year.

Every team has players like this. The difference is that ours our younger and haven't quite established themselves yet. I said earlier that it's disingenous to say CC hasn't scored 30 goals in a season - and I still feel that way given his 48 in 82 under MSL - but the fact is that last year was supposed to be his big breakout and it didn't happen. So now we have to wonder if that shot will return. Dach, I just want 82 games from. I don't care if its only 60 points... just have a healthy year. Guhle, as long as he doesn't get a concussion - it's a successful year. :) The only other guy I'm a little worried about is Hutson and that's just based on his size.

If we're healthy? I think we take a big step this year. I'm looking forward to it more than any other season since Price was in his prime.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
bool doWeMakeDaPlayoffs()
{
..if (injuries < leagueAverage)
......if (Monty.establishedNumber1Goalie == true)
..........if (Laine.putsHisShitTogether())
..............if (Dach.stayHealthy())
..................if (Caufield.shootpercentage > Caufield.averageShootPercentage)
......................if (Suzuki.ppg==true)
..........................if (Slafkovsky > Slafkovsky.lastyear.2ndhalf)
..............................if (calderTop10.Contains("Roy") && calderTop3.Contains("Hutson"))
..................................if (youngDs.continueProgression() && Guhle.playsLeft())
......................................if (PPLeagueTop10.Contains("HabsPP") && PKLeagueTop10.Contains("HabsPK"))
..........................................return true;
......................................else return false;
..................................else return false;
..............................else return false;
..........................else return false;
......................else return false;
..................else return false;
..............else return false;
..........else return false;
......else return false;
..else return false;
}

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With the downfall of the Bruins and Lightning, the joke of Sens and Wings. The division is ripe for the taking. How great would it be if we bumped the Leafs again in the POS ?

bool doWeMakeDaPlayoffs()
{
..if (injuries < leagueAverage)
......if (Monty.establishedNumber1Goalie == true)
..........if (Laine.putsHisShitTogether())
..............if (Dach.stayHealthy())
..................if (Caufield.shootpercentage > Caufield.averageShootPercentage)
......................if (Suzuki.ppg==true)
..........................if (Slafkovsky > Slafkovsky.lastyear.2ndhalf)
..............................if (calderTop10.Contains("Roy") && calderTop3.Contains("Hutson"))
..................................if (youngDs.continueProgression() && Guhle.playsLeft())
......................................if (PPLeagueTop10.Contains("HabsPP") && PKLeagueTop10.Contains("HabsPK"))
..........................................return true;
......................................else return false;
..................................else return false;
..............................else return false;
..........................else return false;
......................else return false;
..................else return false;
..............else return false;
..........else return false;
......else return false;
..else return false;
}
I love that lmao

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I'm a glass half full kinda guy and voted yes. Would I put money on it? No. I'm excited at the prospect of being excited to tune in this year, a new sports bar just opened in my small town and it's open til midnight 7 days a week. As opposed to the only other place in town that last called at 9:30. So it was either a shitty stream at home or get kicked out after the 2nd period. The stars are aligning.

Health and inexperience on D, those are my only two question marks. I think the Atlantic takes 5 playoff spots this year. Only NY, CAR, and NJ make it in the Metro. All we need is to be better than OTT, DET, BUF. Florida is weaker than last year. No other top team in the division got stronger IMO, the gap between teams is more narrow than ever and anything can happen!

Odds are at 13% right now. If you think it's higher than that, which I do, then you should put money on it.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think they’ll come up just short.

Last season’s issues will be improved, but could linger.

- health … Dach, Dvo, Laine, Xhekaj. They’ll be healthy, but time missed may affect how quickly they start and how well they can sustain for a full season.
- D will be improved but growing pains will still cost games.

Plus, they might sell at deadline which hurts the late push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad