Playoffs: whom to cheer, whom to jeer

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
If you focus on his prime years, he definitely elevated for the playoffs. He was over PPG 4 straight playoffs, so that's why it feels that way. His young and elder years drag down his average.

Dude was a gamer. So while him and Tavares have similar career stats, the playoff picture isn't even close.
No doubt. Tavares and Z aren't even from the same planet in terms of elevating their team. Even players like Dustin Brown or J Toews, who scored at a much lower clip, were immensely more impactful players.

To me, Tavares is like a modern day Pierre Turgeon: the stats are are certainly eye catching but are somewhat hollow in terms of being a real benefit to the team.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Watching the Bruins-Leafs series.

So far I'm wondering if this is the 'Samsonov game'.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Probably been joked about before but are Hampus Lindholm and Jonathan Berggren related?

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Keep talking about Samsonov's playoff pct. I bet Leafs fans aren't sick of it at all.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh: - I'm going to enjoy watching Steve Dangle losing his shit so much.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's kind of crazy, I mean at some point you have to shake things up. They have 4 forwards clogging the whole lineup. Nylander definitely showed his worth, and Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league, but the other two? One of them has to go.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I know it's funny to watch Toronto lose(again), but it's also crazy...

They're the most important team in the game, the NY Yankees, LA Lakers, Dallas Cowboys and Manchester United equivalent...

60 years w/o a championship is brutal for their fans and that franchise...I legit feel bad for their fans

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I know it's funny to watch Toronto lose(again), but it's also crazy...

They're the most important team in the game, the NY Yankees, LA Lakers, Dallas Cowboys and Manchester United equivalent...

60 years w/o a championship is brutal for their fans and that franchise...I legit feel bad for their fans
I mean, their fans are the only reason I have any hint of schadenfreude regarding their playoff implosions. The team itself hasn't been in any way a rival of the Wings during my Wing fanhood and I've been watching for 30 years. I don't like the leafs because of their fans so there is no reason for me to feel bad for them.

Off the glass? That was a set play off the boards. A display of home ice advantage we use to do with our springy boards.
Stuart and Cleary ran that same play, on a PK no less, during the '08 Final.

Reactions: Ezekial

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What's worse not making the playoffs at all or making it and then choking like that every year?

Having that much talent (and cap hit), regular season success and choking every year is definitely worse.

I remember the pain of the Wings underachieving before they finally made it to the finals in 95 and the won in 97.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Having that much talent (and cap hit), regular season success and choking every year is definitely worse.

I remember the pain of the Wings underachieving before they finally made it to the finals in 95 and the won in 97.
Losing to the Sharks, getting swept by the Devils in the finals and then the Avs was so awful.

Leafs tho, they haven't sniffed anything close to even losing a conference final. They beat Tampa in six after Tampa had been through three straight cup final appearances and then got spanked by the Panthers. It's astonishing, that's all they have done.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I hope Boston beats Florida tbh. I'm kinda tired of how cocky and spoiled all of the small fanbases full of new hockey fans are (i.e. Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Nashville) with how much success they've all had. I want to see Boston v NYR and winner of Edm/Vancouver v Dallas/Colorado (f*** Vegas). I want as many people to care as possible, it's more fun for me that way, anyway. To each their own.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's astonishing, that's all they have done.
Not really. This year is the first time they've had halfway decent defense and goaltending, and half their payroll up front continues to shrink during the post season.

I don't know if Detroit will ever be successful enough to win a Cup during this rebuild. But I can at least see the pieces (Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson, Danielson, Kasper) that will play a style conducive to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad