Injury Report: Playoff Injury Report - McDavid Needs Abdominal Surgery, Draisaitl Broken Rib, and more!

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
So if McDavid gets back to 100% healthy, anyone else think he might hit 160 points next season?

He scored 60+ goals last season, 100 assists this season, it’s definitely possible he can put it all together if he’s healed up.

If management can improve the roster this off season I think the Oilers are going to punish the league next season. They’re gonna want home ice in the playoffs and they’ve got something to prove still. Just get healthy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Really hope both are healthy to start the regular season. Really wish we had won game 7... would make everything easier to swallow.

Draisaitl must've suffered the broken rib during the Canucks series (edit: game 1 yeah, no surprise). And obviously we all know McDavid has been playing through the abdominal issue all season long.
WHere did you read it was Game1? And do you know the play it happened on?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
So if McDavid gets back to 100% healthy, anyone else think he might hit 160 points next season?

He scored 60+ goals last season, 100 assists this season, it’s definitely possible he can put it all together if he’s healed up.

If management can improve the roster this off season I think the Oilers are going to punish the league next season. They’re gonna want home ice in the playoffs and they’ve got something to prove still. Just get healthy.

Yep. Bring back as much of the bottom 6 supporting cast as you can (Janmark, Brown at minimum. I'd take a healthy Henrique if the price was right, also Foegele, but he's likely priced himself out of Edmonton) and the top 6 stays healthy, this team will dominate next year.

Skinner will continue to improve going into his third season, Draisaitl and McDavid hitting their absolute prime years.

Buy out Campbell and move Ceci to get $$ to shore up any holes.

I think 2025 will be the best Oilers team we've witnessed in a while.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Always had a theory off the top of my head that McDavid's downward goalscoring trend happened near the end of the 22-23 season.

Doing the work finally and here's the numbers for Goals/Game broken down into quarters of a season.

Q1: 0.76 Goals/GM
Q2: 0.85 Goals/GM
Q3: 0.85 Goals/GM
Q4: 0.63 Goals/GM

Looks like there was a drop off near the end of that season. But in 23-24 his goal scoring dropped even further to 0.42 Goals/GM. So yeh it's likely his injury did affect that part of his game, the shooting and the finishing. Now I wonder if it was that Kane collision just prior to the Heritage Classic that caused it. Do we know if it was that?

Reactions: oilers'72

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I think we have to be honest about the Panthers PK as well. They are elite at getting sticks in the lanes we like to use on the powerplay. They took away everything but the perimeter shots and they had Bouchard covered while doing it.
Our pp was pretty average to bad after the la series. The 50 percent from that series made them overall percent look better.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Curious how long McDavid and Drai will need to recover. Might impact their start to the season.
The wine in Italy is a great healing agent.

So many things factor in to points production. Being healthy is but just one thing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Did we ever find out what the injury was that kept McDavid out of the lineup back in October before the Heritage Classic game? Was it this same abdominal injury that he’s dealing with now or something else? I had assumed he had some type of hand or wrist injury that bothered him when shooting the puck.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
WHere did you read it was Game1? And do you know the play it happened on?

That was the game he was talking to the trainer on the bench and got caught on camera saying “my back”

Then he missed a bunch of shifts and went out for a couple twirls and sat on the bench. When he did play it was on McDavids wing to reduce his load. Connor was taking all the draws which we all know never happens when they play together normally

The panel on sportsnet tried to find the play it happened on, looked like a nothing bump from Myers but who knows what actually did it. Knoblauch made it sound like they’ll expand during the end of season interviews on injury status so we’ll probably find out in a day or two

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Did we ever find out what the injury was that kept McDavid out of the lineup back in October before the Heritage Classic game? Was it this same abdominal injury that he’s dealing with now or something else? I had assumed he had some type of hand or wrist injury that bothered him when shooting the puck.

This is what they showed on the panel way back then

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Yep. Bring back as much of the bottom 6 supporting cast as you can (Janmark, Brown at minimum. I'd take a healthy Henrique if the price was right, also Foegele, but he's likely priced himself out of Edmonton) and the top 6 stays healthy, this team will dominate next year.

Skinner will continue to improve going into his third season, Draisaitl and McDavid hitting their absolute prime years.

Buy out Campbell and move Ceci to get $$ to shore up any holes.

I think 2025 will be the best Oilers team we've witnessed in a while.

Agreed and I think Holloway can be that missing player finally to play that top six on a cheap contract.

I'd love to see Rico center the 3rd line.

Find at least 2 speedy players that like to take the body and are tough to play against.

It'd be nice to get a really good vet goalie to keep Skinner rolling.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That was the game he was talking to the trainer on the bench and got caught on camera saying “my back”

Then he missed a bunch of shifts and went out for a couple twirls and sat on the bench. When he did play it was on McDavids wing to reduce his load. Connor was taking all the draws which we all know never happens when they play together normally

The panel on sportsnet tried to find the play it happened on, looked like a nothing bump from Myers but who knows what actually did it. Knoblauch made it sound like they’ll expand during the end of season interviews on injury status so we’ll probably find out in a day or two
Okay. Yeh that’s the game I thought it was. Forgot which game that was. Yeh that’s likely where he got injured.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Good News if its McDavid's oblique muscle that was injured during game 5 of the season.

Sad that we were to much of a tire fire to play without McDavid for 6 weeks

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Hopefully this brings back both Connor's shot and explosiveness. With training camp less than three months away you've got to wonder if he makes it back in time for that or if he aims for game 1.

As for Leon hopefully the summer is enough to heal broken bones and get him back to full health. Such a shame he was so far below 100% at such a crucial stage.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Still think McDavid has been dealing with whatever he's had since potentially around the end of the regular season last year. He probably just aggravated it bad enough for it to be an issue this season but as mentioned the team was so bad he couldn't afford to miss any time.

Draisaitl I feel like might be positive? When he was missing time in that Vancouver series Knoblauch said it was back spasms iirc, which would've been a major red flag moving forward. If it was a rib injury then that feels like it should be able to heal and not be an issue, comparatively? Not a doctor though so idk. Always seems like whenever an athlete ends up with back problems they're persistent for the rest of their career.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Is this the point where we go on social media and complain for the next two months about our injured players and how we 'coulda, shoulda, woulda won if only' like Cuck fans? Nope, we will acknowledge it and move on. Credit to our guys for playing thru it and not using it as an excuse.
It's where we hope our boys get healthy without any issue and can have a good campaign next season :)

Reactions: bellagiobob

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Get McDavid healthy so scrubs like Soucy and Zadorov can resume cross-checking him in the throat and small of the back. Remember fans of the Canucks were insistent that McDavid be suspended on the play.

Draisaitl had a rib broken by another scrub, Myers and also had a finger fractured playing the Canuckleheads.

The dystopian Canuck fans are real proud, satisfied with the way events played out. I see they are more pleased with injuring our star players than fans of the Oilers are of reaching game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals before bowing out.

What should be expected from Florida where most do not have the foggiest conception of what the rules of hockey are?

Did you see Tkatchuk making an ass out of himself today pouring beer out of the Stanley Cup on fans from a second story window then running into the ocean with the Cup? A genuine ambassador for the game of hockey.

Even Gretzky said Florida winning the Stanley Cup would be great for the NHL. They really maximised revenue.

Thank you Gary.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Still think McDavid has been dealing with whatever he's had since potentially around the end of the regular season last year. He probably just aggravated it bad enough for it to be an issue this season but as mentioned the team was so bad he couldn't afford to miss any time.

Draisaitl I feel like might be positive? When he was missing time in that Vancouver series Knoblauch said it was back spasms iirc, which would've been a major red flag moving forward. If it was a rib injury then that feels like it should be able to heal and not be an issue, comparatively? Not a doctor though so idk. Always seems like whenever an athlete ends up with back problems they're persistent for the rest of their career.
They said cramps for Draisaitl which always sounded like bs.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Curious how long McDavid and Drai will need to recover. Might impact their start to the season.
As proven this year, a bad start won't matter too much if just making the playoffs. So more time.
I think Mickey tried to destroy Drais leg 2 years ago. Gutless flames were slashing at it all series.

Last year was Pietro trying to lumberjack Drais arms off.

It’s the same bs every year. It’s why I roll my eyes when idiots call our team dirty. Most guys in the league stand no chance so they have to try to cheat.
Nuclear deterrent is needed. The PK was so good taking an instigator penalty shouldn't be a worry if it makes the next guy think twice.
The dystopian Canuck fans are real proud, satisfied with the way events played out. I see they are more pleased with injuring our star players than fans of the Oilers are of reaching game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals before bowing out.
Whoa, the play where Dras probably broke his rib was quite common, it just appears to have hit the "sweet spot" it wasn't a vicious cross check, more a hard push.

I watched all the playoffs and it was obvious there were things going on with injuries. But it was quite enlightening to see the other players step up their game. I wonder if RNH was off too.

I was on the Oilers side, I thought they only needed to show up for game 7. They had no answer for a 100% McDavid.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The reports of playoff injuries are starting to trickle in. Zach Laing has reported that McDavid and Draisaitl were both injured. We already know about Kane, and Henrique earlier in the playoffs. He also mentions that Nurse may have had something going on.

Current List:

Connor McDavid - Abdominal Surgery
Leon Draisaitl - Broken Rib, Broken Finger
Evander Kane - Sports Hernia
Adam Henrique - High Ankle Sprain (weeks ago)

If you hear a confirmed report of an injury, post it here!
Damn. That’s quite the list

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I guess I should be a little less critical of Henrique, I forgot about his ankle injury. He looked so slow. Maybe he has more to give if they re-sign him.
Why would you be critical of Henrique? He played great.
Drai is the one who played like he was badly injured, which he was of course.

It's a damn miracle that the Oilers made it this far with their top guys sustaining significant injuries. The Oilers got really lucky with health in the regular season and it caught up to them in the playoffs.

McDavid was injured all season basically and still had 132 points, almost broke the playoff scoring record and won a Conn Smythe lol. This is absolute legend stuff that even Gretzky would be envious of. If McDavid wins a few Cups here and plays a big part in it, he might go down as the best player ever. Yeah, I said it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad