Players You Thought Would Bust But Didn't?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Recently? Evan Bouchard and Cole Caufield. I didn't really think either would bust necessarily but I didn't think they'd be as good as they are at the NHL level.

I tend not to predict busts cause you never know what's gonna happen with a guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Recently? Evan Bouchard and Cole Caufield. I didn't really think either would bust necessarily but I didn't think they'd be as good as they are at the NHL level.

I tend not to predict busts cause you never know what's gonna happen with a guy.
Going by that standard, add me to the list of folks who didn't think Tage Thompson was going to work out - and who was extremely skeptical after that first breakout year. (And have since found myself occasionally arguing with other TT skeptics saying "no, seriously y'all, we did not get that call right, he's doing it for reals, OK".)

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Brady Tkatchuk, no doubt. I still have no idea how he got to be a PPG player in the NHL when he couldn't even get 1.5PPG at U14 and U16 AAA and his brother far outscored him at every level playing on the same teams(2 years earlier).

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Lawson Crouse, he was going to the Devils in a lot of mock drafts. I didn't think he'd ever make it past the AHL level and was ecstatic when NJ took Zacha instead.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Almost of Avs fans didn't like the Makar pick, a not super big RHD from AJHL when we already had Barrie. His first NCAA season wasnt outstanding either. And then many realizdd that scouts are paid for a reason.

Reactions: Dog

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I always expected Will Smith to bust. Not gonna lie. He was the one player in the 5 I would never have taken.

Obviously we don't know for sure, yet, but I expect to eat my words

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Tage Thompson for sure....He didn't do much at all for his first three seasons in Buffalo (plus one season in St.Louis) and then he turned it on out of nowhere.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Olaf Kolzig was a 1st Round Pick in 1989 but didn't become the starter for the Capitals until 97/98 when he led them to the SCF (we all know what happened here) and had a Top 5 Vezina finish. 2 years later he was 1st Team All-Star and Vezina winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad