Players You Thought Would Bust But Didn't?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
MacK after the 3 year stint post rookie season.

Weren't there indicators that he would be a lot better?

I'm sure no one thought he would ever score 140 points, but when he was about a 50 point player, did it seem like he was capable of being at least a PPG player or did he change his game and improve drastically?

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Weren't there indicators that he would be a lot better?

I'm sure no one thought he would ever score 140 points, but when he was about a 50 point player, did it seem like he was capable of being at least a PPG player or did he change his game and improve drastically?

I guess I should have specified that it didn't look great in comparison to his pre-draft projections or even his D+1 year. Only a bust in expectations so to speak.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't think Jason Robertson would turn out to be the player he's become. Even though he was producing in junior, I thought his physical limitations (ie. his skating) would make it difficult for him to replicate that sort of production at the NHL level.

Oops.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I thought Jake DeBrusk was going to be a bust. I still don't like him much as a player, but I can admit that he's far exceeded my expectation. Nearly 30 goals a few times, too.

And if you go way back I thought Corey Crawford would never make it. He retired as a 2x Cup winner.

• Wow
Reactions: Crow

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Hottish take:

Leon Draisaitl when he scored 7 points in his rookie 37 games.

Oilers were hot trash and I thought they had 0 hope. Ten years later he’s signing an 8x14 lol
My dad couldnt stand Draisaitl in his 1st year wanted him traded. Some of the offers he came up with had me rolling. I said he should call into Stauffer and see what he thought. Here we are, loves him to death.:laugh:

Reactions: GreeningOil

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hottish take:

Leon Draisaitl when he scored 7 points in his rookie 37 games.

Oilers were hot trash and I thought they had 0 hope. Ten years later he’s signing an 8x14 lol
I thought his skating was going to bust him too.

Instead, he boomed; like big time.

Reactions: GreeningOil

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Slad had me worried a bit at the start of his second season. Glad he picked it up big time

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I thought Stamkos was gonna be a 35-35 type of player, didn't think he had a high enough IQ or broad enough skill set. Never expected 60+ goals or 100+ points.

I also expected EP to struggle a lot more on the small ice.

Oops.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Gaudreau. Thought he was going to be another small, high scoring NCAA player and it wouldn't translate to the NHL at his size. Man was it annoying to be wrong after what he did with the Flames.

Joe Thornton after his first season.

I'll admit I was pissed about not taking Bennett over Draisaitl. Draisaitl's skating looked atrocious.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I thought Sam Reinhart was going to peak as a decent point producer on bad teams type of player and never put up more than 65 pts or so

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad