Players whose stupid antics overshadowed their ability as hockey players

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Auston Taylour Matthews with his criminal act and his childish joke moustache.

I always say that the worse Matthews plays the angrier I get at his moustache. He doesn't have the look, period.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sorry. This is probably like the 10th time I've repeated this here over the years and I get a bit exasperated with it.

It's just taken as total fact by the entire hockey world seemingly that all of Mogilny's big seasons were in contract years when that couldn't be further from the truth, and is so easy to actually fact-check. It's the 1990s equivalent of the 'Bill McCreary never played another game after hitting Gretzky!' thing.

His biggest year in Buffalo was a contract year, yes. But he also shattered his leg at the end of that year plus lost Lafontaine as a linemate in ensuing years, so it's pretty easy to explain why he might have fallen off there. Plus that season was notorious for huge scoring totals, and scoring league-wide dropped 30% in the next 5 years.

Other than that, the only big season in his career that was in a contract year was his 2001 season in NJ. His big seasons in Vancouver and Toronto were not contract years, nor were the two other seasons in Buffalo where he scored at a ~100 point pace.

I think the knock on Mogilny is that you never knew what kind of player you were going to get, season after season or even game after game. That's what drove you nuts about him, even in his time in Toronto, it is like if he wanted to he could have taken over any game he played in. That's why I'd never vote for him to get into the HHOF. He had a string of some really mediocre years in what should have been his prime years.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
There I was liking a bunch of the comments until I came across a post of mine and realized this thread was a couple of years old.
Anyway, since it's been revived, I'll add Tom Barasso. Borderline HoF goaltender, largely being kept out because he's a first ballot HoF asshat.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe Eddie Shore would be an example?
Can I say "Ted Lindsay"? I get it: his talent was hard to overshadow (this also goes for Howe and Richard), but still I wish he wasn't so violent and just played hockey.
Both of those guys are NOT examples of players whose notoriety overshadowed their talents, as they both are considered all time greats, especially Shore. No argument that they were violent players, but according to some older guys I have talked to, hockey was a very violent game post from the depression era well into the 50's.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Tikkanen.
I don't think Tikkanen's "antics" ever over-shadowed his hockey ability. I mean, the guy wasn't getting suspensions, high-sticking people, starting brawls, or saying off-color stuff to the media. He was just pesky to star players on the ice, which was one of his jobs.

Tikkanen was central to four Stanley Cup wins (won five total), played at Rendezvous '87, scored 630 RS points and 132 in the playoffs (43rd all time), was a Selke finalist four times, and had his number retired by Jokerit in Finland.

Reactions: The Pale King

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
There I was liking a bunch of the comments until I came across a post of mine and realized this thread was a couple of years old.
Anyway, since it's been revived, I'll add Tom Barasso. Borderline HoF goaltender, largely being kept out because he's a first ballot HoF asshat.
Tom bar of soap

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I asked Esa in Seoul (when he coached Anyang Halla here): "What defines your success?" And he said: "Never stop." (grin)

That sums it up.
If one wonders how he repeatedly was a clutch playoff scorer in Edmonton, Vancouver and New York, this explains it.

The HHOF is poorer for keeping him out of it.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think the knock on Mogilny is that you never knew what kind of player you were going to get, season after season or even game after game. That's what drove you nuts about him, even in his time in Toronto, it is like if he wanted to he could have taken over any game he played in. That's why I'd never vote for him to get into the HHOF. He had a string of some really mediocre years in what should have been his prime years.

Mogilny's play reflected his personality. He was as laid-back as one could get.

I'd say, more than any other player, his defection from the Soviet system was due to his personality conflicting with Tikhonov's structured and rigorous routine. Mogilny was an individualist, not always the hardest worker; the absolute antithesis of a military man.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Todd Bertuzzi was one of the league's best players for a few years there, but it's all overshadowed by the Steve Moore attack

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I honestly think Marchand's ... Marchandness may end up being what keeps him out of the Hall.

Reactions: Beville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad