Players Who Are Less Than Their Resumes?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think most if not all serious fans have players they consider less impressive than their careers look on paper.

Who are players you think aren't as good as their accomplishments make them look? Whether it's because of great players and/or teams elevating them. weak competition, injuries to rivals at unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on perspective) times or other factors, which players have careers that are flattering to their actual abilities and impact?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm going with Price. His entire career all you heard was the hype and potential but he really only put it together and hit that level for about 18 months of his career.

Outside of the Hart his career and #s are equal to Tuukka Rask.

.917/2.51 and 110 GSAA for Price vs .921/2.28 and 149 GSAA for Rask.

1x AS-1 for Price vs 1x AS-1 and 1x AS-2 for Rask.

1,3,4,5,7,9,10 Vezina for Price vs 1,2,5,7,7 for Rask.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not a big thing, or by much, but in general left winger all-star team finish can make them look more impressive than they were (i.e. having a top 1-2 a year they would not cracked the top 3/4 at center or right wing).

Yzerman almost retired with 0 all-star team to his name, Hawerchuck a single second team, Robitaille has 8, Tkachuck 2.

Kunitz has a first team all star, during a season that the art ross winner Martin St-Louis was on the second team as a right wing, pushing someone like Patrick Kane on the Hawks superteam-super season out of a all-star finish.

So are you saying Price was less than Rask as a player, I could see the argument for Price > his limited resume, but the other way around ?

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm going with Price. His entire career all you heard was the hype and potential but he really only put it together and hit that level for about 18 months of his career.

.917/2.51 and 110 GSAA for Price vs .921/2.28 and 149 GSAA for Rask.

1x AS-1 for Price vs 1x AS-1 and 1x AS-2 for Rask.

1,3,4,5,7,9,10 Vezina for Price vs 1,2,5,7,7 for Rask.
Price is the inverse of this.

His paper resume isn't great, whether by AS finishes or Vezina. But there was a five year period where he was considered the best goalie in the world.

This thread is more for a guy like Martin St. Louis. Point finishes of 1,1,2,5,6 overstates how good he is.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Not a big thing, or by much, but in general left winger all-star team finish can make them look more impressive than they were (i.e. having a top 1-2 a year they would not cracked the top 3/4 at center or right wing).

Yzerman almost retired with 0 all-star team to his name, Hawerchuck a single second team, Robitaille has 8, Tkachuck 2.

Kunitz has a first team all star, during a season that the art ross winner Martin St-Louis was on the second team as a right wing, pushing someone like Patrick Kane on the Hawks superteam-super season out of a all-star finish.

So are you saying Price was less than Rask as a player, I could see the argument for Price > his limited resume, but the other way around ?

Easy to forget, but Yzerman was a 1st team all-star in 2000. So just once, and he has a ton of seasons better before that but centre was a weak position in the late 1990s, early 2000s. But I see your point. By the way, that 2013 year was an unusual one because Ovechkin was a 1st team all-star at RW and a 2nd teamer at LW. This is why Kunitz was 1st team at LW. I have no idea why this happened. Maybe my memory is confused and Ovechkin played a good chunk of RW that year. But either way he certainly wasn't playing both enough to garner all-stars at both sides. The writers really fell asleep here. So the best right wingers in the game that year were St. Louis and Kane. And the best left wingers were Ovechkin and I guess Kunitz if you had to pick. But you can't tell me the likes of Zetterberg or even Taylor Hall weren't better than him that year. We all know where Kunitz's bread was buttered.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The difference between Pail Coffey and Phil Housley is Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov.

(Housley had the equivalent of Glenn Anderson, Mark Recchi, Dino Ciccarelli, Slava Kozlov, Igor Larionov).

EDIT: "Pail" Coffey, pre-Internet, was a nickname locally for how friggin' easy Coffey got points. He earned half of them, certainly. But given his defensive gaffs, eh,... ship him out of town if your pp and passing game can handle it!

I say this as a guy whose last jersey number in minor hockey was number 7 in 1983 to honor Coffey's offensive game, i a foot-out-the-door left dman with backhand chip pass and backchecking ability but pined for more, obviously.

I also attended games at the Joe in '94 & '95 when in grad school in Windsor literally within eyeshot of the arena across from the Detroit River; Coffey pulled often a Cliff Ronning... circling, awaiting a teammate to recover pucks to join the counterattack. It was embarrassing. It drew boos from blue collar faithful (as Jason Spezza did, doing similarly at Windsor Spitfire games i attended there), but it got him often a point or two a game. Ugh.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Easy to forget, but Yzerman was a 1st team all-star in 2000. So just once,
Yes it was a typo if you read the message before saying almost retired without one, Sakic-Forsberg do not miss that many game that year and Forsberg (or if Lindros goes in an other way) play and up no all-star team finish for him.

. Maybe my memory is confused and Ovechkin played a good chunk of RW that year. But either way he certainly wasn't playing both enough to garner all-stars at both sides. The writers really fell asleep here. So the best right wingers in the game that year were St. Louis and Kane.

I think Oates made him mostly a right winger and people voted for leftwing going with muscle memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad