Speculation: Players Traded to Avoid Expansion Draft Exposure

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Lol, no. It doesn't make any sense at all. If we trade a D man, then we HAVE to protect 4, and we'll lose a forward anyway.

Right, so the trick is losing a worse forward than a D. That's a trade-off all teams in your position have to decide on- but it's no excuse losing a more valuable player at a more valuable position for literally nothing.

Regardless of scenario, the Wild are looking at losing a defenseman, either by trade or draft. So if the trade isn't a good trade sans expansion, then it's not very a good trade with expansion being considered.

Any trade in which you get something for a top four D + lose a bottom-six forward is better than lose a top four D + keep a bottom-six forward.

So if we are looking at a VERY likely be scenario of losing a top 4 defenseman, then why wouldn't we protect the greatest number of assets?

Or you could, you know, make a trade that balances 4 D with 4 F worth keeping. That's an option.

Unless, we get a trade that sees us winning in value, there is ZERO reason to trade a defenseman, because it's just going to force us to protect 4 to avoid losing a second one.

So you do that, and trade a D for an F that is better than any of the ones you'd stand to lose. Not hard.

So tell me. What trade is available, that Wild fans haven't already thought of, that has us coming out on top value wise?

Oilers have fans have talked a trade around RNH. He's a better forward than any you'd stand to lose (Niederreiter/Haula/Zucker) and helps bolster your top two center positions. There you go, done.

By exposing Brodin and Scandella, we are basically forcing Vegas to take a player from our single greatest organizational strength, which is LHD.

...for nothing. Not a net win for the Wild, but feel free to give away better assets. That only helps a team like Edmonton.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
The Flyers will have to expose D prospect Robert Hagg (assuming they protect Ghost, Gudas, Morin) in all likelihood. I could see him being traded prior to that point to a team that can protect him. Either that or they could offer Vegas a pick to not draft him.

That's a very small price considering their other D prospects

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Personally I'm cumfurtable with Habs situation regarding the expansion draft.

We protect Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Shaw, Plekanec, Danault, Andrighetto, Weber, Beaulieu, Petry... and hopefully extend Radulov and Markov after the expansion draft. That leaves Byron, Carr, Mitchell, Emelin, Barberio and Pateryn exposed. I don't care losing one of these forwards, and like you said previously, Pateryn and Barberio are good but bottom-pairing defensemen are easy to find in the NHL. I like Emelin but losing him would give us 4,1M in cap space so it would be okay as well!

I'm pretty confident that regardless of how this next season goes, Marokov is done in the NHL

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Minnesota might be the team in the toughest spot as it stands now, after Suter they have 4 D who are all similarly valued and at least 3 or 4 forwards who are in the same boat, could see them losing a couple solid assets

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ottawa likely has to expose Methot.

Emelin for the Habs has a MNTC (he lists 10 teams he can't be traded to). Do the habs have to protect him if he chooses to put Las Vegas as a no trade team? Disaster if this is true. Then we expose Beaulieu or do we go with protecting 4 Dam and only 4 forwards?

Article below says we don't have to protect Emelin but I'm not sure if this is the case? Anyone know any details on this?

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...diens-plekanec-hudon-who-should-protect-rules

The only player the Habs have to protect is Petry.
Emelin can be exposed.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Minnesota might be the team in the toughest spot as it stands now, after Suter they have 4 D who are all similarly valued and at least 3 or 4 forwards who are in the same boat, could see them losing a couple solid assets

Something to consider -- at worst, no team will lose more than 1 quality asset, but every team will lose one.

If a team makes a trade as a pre-emptive move to not lose that player via expansion, it's not just what they get back in return that matters, but the other player they expect to lose as a result of expansion.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country

Each team can (and will) lose only one player to the expansion draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wonder if we will see teams swapping players from forward to D to mix up the split they can protect or if there are rules on numbers of games they have to play at a position

Players areceive listed by position. So you can not sudeny list your back up goalie as a D. All teams file rosters with who is in what position.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
If the Oilers protect 4 forwards and 4 defenceman I belive it will look like this.
RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle and Lucic as forwards, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson and Davidson and then Talbot.
That would expose the likes of Pouliot, Yakupov, Maroon and Reinhart of the big names. I think that it is more likely that LV takes one of Pouliot or Yak before Reinhart. Here's my reason. Oilers D has as everyone knows been crap and LV could probably get better D-men than Reinhart. Plus they don't need 20 defencemen. They also need forwards and they need to reach the cap floor. That makes Pouliot the most likely for me, unless Yak gets to play with McDavid and gets his value up, then they might take him. If they still take Reinhart so be it but it's not the end of the world, even with the price we paid for him.
McDavid and Nurse is excempt if I have understood the rules correctly.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So current bad teams with young players not affected by the expansion draft and/or teams with many draft picks on the horizon may benefit greatly from this purging of good players on stacked teams correct?

These "bad" teams can offer players not affected (drafted within last 2 yrs) to a team looking to get something for the potentially exposed player as well as futures

For example someone mentioned the Isles:
  • De Haan
  • Strome
  • Nelson
  • Lee
  • Pulock
It makes sense fro Snow to thin the herd and move some of these before they are plucked for zip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad