Players that you thought would make it but never did for some reason.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
So this thread is like another one I saw but instead of players you were surprised that made it, mines the exact opposite, players you thought would make it but never did.

Just simply write down the players name and why you think he never got to the NHL.

Like for example every year especially this year I thought Alex Giroux would make it but never seams to be able to even on Edmonton he couldn't.

Also im not sure if i should be posting this in the prospects board, please tell me if I'm not.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I spent a 1st round draft pick in my keeper league back in 2007 on Brett Sterling, right after his 55goal 97point rookie season in the AHL. Took him ahead of Claude Giroux...figured Sterling was a sure thing to be a 40goal scorer in the NHL as he had shown he could put a ton of points on the board at every level of his development.

Unfortunately, size and defensive play seem to have kept him down, although he did have a pretty good run with Pittsburgh this year when he was up. It's probably too late for him to get a fair chance in a good top six situation which is the only way he'll ever succeed in the NHL.

member 30781

James Sheppard.

Minnesota fans could probably tell you why he didn't blossom more than I can. Maybe he was rushed into the system, maybe his game didn't work well with Lemaire's when he was a head coach. I dont know the reason, but I expected a lot from him.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
James Sheppard.

Minnesota fans could probably tell you why he didn't blossom more than I can. Maybe he was rushed into the system, maybe his game didn't work well with Lemaire's when he was a head coach. I dont know the reason, but I expected a lot from him.

Colton Gilles to? But obviously not for the size.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
James Sheppard.

Similarly, I expected Josh Harding to be a bonafide #1 at this point.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Anthony Stewart, Shawn Belle, and Ryan O'Marra

Stewart had a pretty solid season this year imo.

Nick Ross for me... thought he would have had things going by now... maybe it's still too early.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Patrik Stefan, to me, was going to be like what Zetterberg is now, a captainlike 2way center with 70-80pt potential. He never progressed to be more than a 3rd line middleman who couldn't hit empty nets.

I thought at worst, Alex Bourret's playing style would at least stick him in a bottom 6 role if he were to bust. He busted, but he can't even hold a job down in the Asian League.

Jury's still out on Eric O'Dell but we took him only a few picks before Boston drafted Milan Lucic. Feels bad man.

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
Patrik Stefan, to me, was going to be like what Zetterberg is now, a captainlike 2way center with 70-80pt potential. He never progressed to be more than a 3rd line middleman who couldn't hit empty nets.

I thought at worst, Alex Bourret's playing style would at least stick him in a bottom 6 role if he were to bust. He busted, but he can't even hold a job down in the Asian League.

Jury's still out on Eric O'Dell but we took him only a few picks before Boston drafted Milan Lucic. Feels bad man.

O'Dell was drafted by Anaheim in 2008.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Akim Aliu, drafted in 07, has all the tools except common sense, ripped the ECHL, and put up decent numbers in Peoria, 4 years may be a little early but a guy with his ability should be pro by now

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Jaroslav Svejkovksy, although it was injuries that held him back. Anyone who doesn't remember him in the late '90's can look up his stats. He had a four-goal game in a call-up to the Capitals as a 20-year-old as well.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Akim Aliu, drafted in 07, has all the tools except common sense, ripped the ECHL, and put up decent numbers in Peoria, 4 years may be a little early but a guy with his ability should be pro by now
+1, I also thought Aliu would have at least had a taste in the NHL by now. Also from the 2007 draft I really though Turris would be better by now, he was so sick in the Super Series and the WJCs but he's basically invisible in the NHL, and not just because he plays for the Yotes. I'd put Gilbert Brule in a similar vein, he was a force of nature on the Giants, but he too has been pretty invisible in the NHL.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Gilbert Brule.

Yeah he's "made it" but he has played no where near his potential. He was such a force on the Giants that I thought he'd be a 30-40 goal scorer in the top 10 in points

Also Petr Nedved

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nolan Baumgartner. I think in the official NHL Guidebook from 1994 he was described as a Nicklas Lidstrom type defenseman. Obviously this was 2 years into Lidstrom's HOF career so the comparison isn't what it would be today, but I always figured he'd make it. He was hyped as the Caps best defense prospect for years too, and they were well stocked in the 90s with guys like Witt and Gonchar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad