Players overdue for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Would J.C. Tremblay be at the top of the list of NHLers who deserve to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but are not, and are long overdue for induction? Who else is on that list?

IMO Rick Middleton is at/near the top of the list, he was a better version of Hossa. Elite 2 way scoring winger who at his peak was Top 10 in goals and points while also Top 5 in Selke.

But I'm a realist, if he gets in it won't be until after he's dead. He's blacklisted for leading the NHLPA lawsuit against the NHL and Eagleson for misusing union funds

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1721327366118.png

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Kovalchuk was one of the best goal scorers in the world for a decade. He lead the NHL in goals during his first NHL stint from 2002-2013.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
My 10 NHL players who deserve induction, in order (though there are probably 8-9 european players who deserve it even more than these guys)

1. Henrik Zetterberg
2. JC Tremblay
3. Carl Brewer
4. Curtis Joseph
5. Patrik Elias
6. Ryan Getzlaf
7. John Leclair
8. Jim Thomson
9. Rick Middleton
10. Claude Provost

HM: Fleury, JVB, Thompson, Propp, White, Tkachuk, Ramsay

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
John LeClair was really good and he wouldnt necessarily look out of place, but should he really go in before someone like Markus Naslund?

Both of their primes were pretty short, but at least Naslund has the hardware and was better at his best

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I dunno about Mogilny. Kind of the 90s' version of Pierre Larouche.

Martin and Kerr are kind of similar. Very high one-dimensional sizzle, but did the steak cook long enough?

Fleury is likely to get in eventually, but it might depend on his losing his wack-job social media persona, which makes Donald Trump look like Angela Davis.

Middleton, I don't know. Era-adjusted totals and individual achievements aren't very much.

The more pertinent question is: Who deserves to be kicked out of the Hall? There are several.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Contrary to very popular opinion, it's actually much more difficult to gain induction into the HHOF now than it's ever been. It was easiest during the earliest decades of hockey, but also much easier from the middle periods (say, 1930s to 1970s). The issue is the quantity of good players; there are substantially more good players now than there ever was before. There's a lot of focus on the lower-end guys of recent decades - Lowe, Andreychuk, etc. - but the bigger story is the long list of stars (who would've easily been inducted in other eras) who have to wait a long time, in some cases, for induction.

There are currently a whole bunch of players who are waiting around but who will eventually get in. Although it's difficult to predict exactly.

Some more of the Soviets should get in, and certainly deserve to....e.g. Mikhailov, Krutov, Kasatonov, Petrov, Firsov, Maltsev.

Several guys from the very deep '90s generation....Mogilny is a near-certainty, LeClair likely makes it, Fleury, Tkachuk, and others.

More recent players, Zetterberg (like Mogilny, a near-certainty), Elias, etc.

Others, like Tremblay, who've slipped through the cracks.

Reactions: VanIslander

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Firsov is the most overdue to me.
Yes, very overdue.

I think there's a big problem with Firsov, though, that has nothing to do with whether he's deserving. My sense is that he's not well-known. Of course, on the Committee, Hedberg (who played against Firsov) and Larionov would be very familiar with him. But, beyond them? I bet there are multiple Committee members who've never heard of him. Pre-Summit Series is a different era for Russian players. An unknown.

He probably needs somebody to put his case in front of the Committee.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, very overdue.

I think there's a big problem with Firsov, though, that has nothing to do with whether he's deserving. My sense is that he's not well-known. Of course, on the Committee, Hedberg (who played against Firsov) and Larionov would be very familiar with him. But, beyond them? I bet there are multiple Committee members who've never heard of him. Pre-Summit Series is a different era for Russian players. An unknown.

He probably needs somebody to put his case in front of the Committee.
I think that is clear. They inducted Summit Series guys early because they are the biggest names to Joe Blow hockey fan here, and then Makarov was a star in Canada Cups and played in the NHL and with the chairman of the committee and another player on the committee. Firsov is around that level of player, and is probably USSR's (or Europe's) first legitimately world class player, but yeah he is just less well known.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
At this point you're cooler if you're not in the HHOF than in the HHOF.

Players like Mogilny, (Theo) Fleury and Tikkanen would lose all their mystique, especially if inducted alongside someone like Keith Tkachuk.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Martin had 4 post season all star selections in his short career

Tiim Kerr had 5 50 goal seasons more or less

How did Dick Duff get in the HHOF

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Pierre Larouche does have a unique record in that he is the only player to score AT LEAST 48 goals with 3 different teams

Frank Mahovlich scored at least 43 with 3 Teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad