Players most underappreciated by their own fanbase?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not so much anymore on HFNYR but if you go on Social Media fans still think that Chris Kreider is an underachieving bum because he never became Lindros and because he scores a lot of goals around the net.

Meanwhile he's one of the most productive home grown Rangers ever in the regular season and playoffs and for years Rangers fans were begging for a guy that scores around the net.

I've come to the conclusion most fans are dumb as rocks.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
In terms of core players, Morgan Rielly gets taken for granted by Leaf fans at times. He plays in all situations and is the only guy who is an effective threat from their back end plus often elevates the guys he plays with who tend to be 5-6 types who play higher up because they don't have anyone else. In general this market is hard on d-men and tend to overrate the bottom pair shot blocking types while underrating the top guys who have to do more.

Kampf also gets a lot of hate for someone who gets really hard usage at times and is a pretty versatile and dependable player.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Really? Kreider was single handedly destroying the Devils early in in that playoff round two years ago. He's a beast.

Hard to say for the Devils. Dougie Hamilton probably but since we had a whole season without him we've come to understand how good he is.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I think Jake Evans is super underrated (especially defensively) and idk why my fellow Habs fans talk so much shit about him and want him off the team.

I've been rooting for him ever since the Scheifele injury.

Like, I don't think he has the potential to be a star or anything, but he's a great depth/PK player to have on your team.

I always appreciated him being eager to sign with the Habs instead of bailing for another team after his NCAA career too, because he said "Montreal believed in me when nobody else did." (he was a 7th round pick)

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Not so much anymore on HFNYR but if you go on Social Media fans still think that Chris Kreider is an underachieving bum because he never became Lindros and because he scores a lot of goals around the net.

Meanwhile he's one of the most productive home grown Rangers ever in the regular season and playoffs and for years Rangers fans were begging for a guy that scores around the net.

I've come to the conclusion most fans are dumb as rocks.
Yeah I still don't get some of the criticism against Kreider. All he does is score goals and produce in the playoffs. Single-handedly won game 6 against the Canes to move on to the ECF.

Maybe it's because a lot of his scoring is on the PP? If he was getting paid $10 million+ I could understand somewhat but he's not... not even close.

There's plenty of criticism to heap on the Rangers (Trouba, Lindgren, Kakko, Zibanejad, etc.) but going after Kreider just doesn't make sense to me. I hope he's a Ranger for the rest of his career.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I don't know (don't think) this was the case for the general fanbase, but it seemed that many Lightning fans here on HF were lower on Stamkos than I felt he deserved in his last several years with the team

this is mostly from stuff on the main boards though not sure about the team boards view

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know (don't think) this was the case for the general fanbase, but it seemed that many Lightning fans here on HF were lower on Stamkos than I felt he deserved in his last several years with the team
Yeah, I find hockey fans in general are harder on Stamkos than he deserves... It's sort of crazy because he's a definite Hall of Famer and the team has had great success while he's there and he's been the team captain. It's like... What more did people expect?

The guy has had seven 40-60 goal seasons for Tampa (would be nine but for injury / work-stoppage), two Richard trophies, and four top-5 scoring finishes (six times top-10). He's the 2nd best goal scorer of an entire era of NHL history.

Unless you were expecting Stamkos to be Crosby (which no one should have), he's fulfilled all realistic expectations. He also deserves credit because he recovered from his severe leg injury -- he was never quite the same after that, but he adapted his game and continued to put the puck in the net. Which is not easy.

There's also this whole "sucks in playoffs" narrative about Stamkos, which has been way over-stated. He was a little disappointing for a while, but has had some solid runs, too. People need to realize that Kucherov is as good a player as Crosby -- you can't expect Stamkos, post-leg injury, to match Kucherov's production in the playoff runs. Stamkos has had four 16+ point playoffs, and there's probably only a handful or two of guys who've done that, currently. Stamkos's playoff numbers aren't great, but they're not bad either.

This is a long-winded way of saying... I agree.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Toronto:
Larry Murphy
Mats Sundin
(Phil Kessel, somewhat)

Leafs' fan were kind of disgraceful in their endless booing of Hall of Famer Larry Murphy.

Murphy then went to Detroit, had back-to-back 52 point regular seasons (while going +56), scored 26 playoff points in back-to-back Cup runs, went +16 and +12 in each run (#1 NHL), and lifted the Cup twice.

When the TV reporter asked him -- minutes after winning the Cup, and three months after leaving the Leafs -- what he felt now about being booed by Leafs' fans, he said, "They don't understand hockey."

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
In terms of core players, Morgan Rielly gets taken for granted by Leaf fans at times. He plays in all situations and is the only guy who is an effective threat from their back end plus often elevates the guys he plays with who tend to be 5-6 types who play higher up because they don't have anyone else. In general this market is hard on d-men and tend to overrate the bottom pair shot blocking types while underrating the top guys who have to do more.

Kampf also gets a lot of hate for someone who gets really hard usage at times and is a pretty versatile and dependable player.

MO gets asked to be something he’s not. He’s more of a number 2 top pairing guy but over the years he’s paired with guys(Gardiner,Polak, Ceci, Hanisey,Brodie) like we expecting him to be an elite number 1 defender to carry people. He’s basically gets crapped on when he tries his best at what he has while not getting much support.

Reactions: DaveG

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Darnell Nurse

images

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Was Gaudreau, now I don't think the Flames have one. Look at how hard they've cratered since Johnny left(although admittedly Monahan crumbling to nothing, Giordano getting old, and Tkachuk heading out the door were all also big losses). From winning the division to out of the playoffs Gooberdeau territory.
Not so much in the sense Flames fans thought he was crap or whatever, they got he was special. But I don't think many of them or the team itself appreciated just how special. Would always run into guys who would say well he can't be your best player on a SC winner. No shit dude, he's a 170lb winger. He shouldn't have to be. If they had just landed Eichel way back when everything would be different.

Tuukka Rask I always felt got a lot of unwarranted hate from my fellow Bruins fans. He was a great goalie. Even great goalies have bad games sometimes. Danton Heinen and Jake DeBrusk as well were maybe a little underappreciated.

In terms of core players, Morgan Rielly gets taken for granted by Leaf fans at times.

Not even a super big fan of him but I agree. There's guys who suck at defense because they're not trying hard enough, Rielly isn't one of them. He's just not that good at it. Still brings a lot in the OZ. Personally would have made him Captain before Tavares or Matthews because he's got heart those two don't.

Didn't surprise me at all Toronto won every game of the suspension he got for cross checking Greig.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Corey Crawford, Johnny Oduya and Marcus Kruger were all criminally underrated by the average meatball Blackhawks fan for the bulk of their time in Chicago.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad