Players From Countries Other Than Your Own You Prefer Over Players From Your Country?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Oooof, that's a harsh thing to hear from a fan of the team, not that I really disagree. I root for the Leafs against American teams but am really not fond of Matthews, Marner, Reilly.
Matthews is a creep. The pants down thing would have been a court thing in Sweden.

• Wow
Reactions: byrath

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Matthews is a creep. The pants down thing would have been a court thing in Sweden.
I don't even wanna know :puppy: The metrosexual/pimp 'fashion' he peddles is enough for me. Not to mention his resembling a 40yr old Billy Joel as a 19yr old rookie.
edit: I'm sure he's a perfectly nice fellow, kind and generous etc etc. Just a bit o' trash talk.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I don't even wanna know :puppy: The metrosexual/pimp 'fashion' he peddles is enough for me. Not to mention his resembling a 40yr old Billy Joel as a 19yr old rookie.
edit: I'm sure he's a perfectly nice fellow, kind and generous etc etc. Just a bit o' trash talk.
He was too generous in exposing himself to a security guard.

Scary shit

Dismissed in court.

Reactions: byrath

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Oooof, that's a harsh thing to hear from a fan of the team, not that I really disagree. I root for the Leafs against American teams but am really not fond of Matthews, Marner, Reilly.
I had to look up the Canucks roster to remind who is on that team. I’m glad the Leafs don’t have that overpaid Petersson kid that hates the playoffs even more than the Leafs’ players. If I had to watch them I guess I’d cheer for them over Seattle, Minny, or that team out east.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Most of my favorite players haven't been Canadian.

Brian Leetch, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Karlsson, etc.

I'll always like a player for my favorite team over a player who happens to come from the same country as I.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'll be honest: I don't exactly love Matthews myself. I certainly like him as a player and am glad TOR has him (you appreciate a true 1C more after having guys like Stajan and Bozak in that role for years). But yes, that mooning incident that was referenced was rather... bizarre and unsettling. Other than that, he simply hasn't endeared himself enough to me to have made me a big fan. He can be better in the playoffs for one thing. I feel like if he was playing for a team like PHI or SEA, I might not care that much for him. There are certainly exciting offensive players I like who don't play for TOR (MacKinnon, McDavid, Hughes to an extent). If Matthews was on a different team, I might react to him like, "Oh, cool. That guy is almost a 70 goal scorer. Not bad at all."

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I don't think Nationality plays that big of a role to be honest, certainly not as big as some think. I'm Canadian, when I was a kid, my favourite player was Messier (not at all because he was Canadian and at the time I don't even think I would have known any better). At that time, 80%+ of the league was Canadian. Next favourite player was Fedorov. At that point, I was new more about Nationalities, but again, had nothing to do with it, I just liked his game.

For some reason, I'd think Russian fans would be more biased to Russian players....we'll maybe the reason is simply numbers. Far fewer Russian players in the league, so you'd think they would get the biased, maybe not. For that, I suspect you wouldn't have a lot of Russian fans of Crosby, or certainly not over Ovechkin. Canadian fans of Ovechkin though....hard to say, but I don't see much of a Nationality bias here....again, I'm sure there is some, but not overly significant. First, I think most Canadian fans would be fans of a particular Canadian team, so majority would have a favourite player on that team (Ovechkin plays for a US team obviously). If we are looking at Crosby vs. Ovechkin though.....not sure.....from the kids perspective (my son is 15)...so seeing him grow up and the kids around the rinks....seems to be a decent split between who their favourite is. For adults, topic doesn't really come up that much, I could probably see more of a bias in terms of nationality there, but for the most part, I think most would say they like this about his game and that about the other guys game, etc. Who they thought was the better player (I know that's different from favourite) I think would mostly be simply a logical analysis (maybe unconscious bias? who knows?)

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I had to look up the Canucks roster to remind who is on that team. I’m glad the Leafs don’t have that overpaid Petersson kid that hates the playoffs even more than the Leafs’ players. If I had to watch them I guess I’d cheer for them over Seattle, Minny, or that team out east.
Not everything needs to be a pissing contest between fanbases my friend, I like the Canucks, I like the Leafs, and I'd be quite happy for either one to win a Cup :hockey:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not everything needs to be a pissing contest between fanbases my friend, I like the Canucks, I like the Leafs, and I'd be quite happy for either one to win a Cup :hockey:
Not me, I hope the Cup stays south of the Mason Dixon. Nashville and Carolina are overdue.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
As a Canadian I don't care about The Olympics or nationalism. It's rather tiresome to listen to it all.

My top 5 fav players are all outside of Canada.

1.Datsyuk
2.H.Sedin
3.D.Sedin
4.Zetterberg
5.Q. Hughes.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Again, States here. Growing up my favorite players were...

Salming (Sweden)
P. Esposito (Canada)
Clarke (Canada)
Sittler (Canada)
Keon (Canada)

Then, eventually...

P. Stastny (Czech)
Lindbergh (Sweden)
Gilmour (Canada)
Clark (Canada)
Neely (Canada)
Naslund (Sweden)
M. Lemieux (Canada)
Sundin (Sweden)
Bure (Russia)
Lumme (Finland)
Forsberg (Sweden)

In fact, the only players over the years who I consider "favorite players" that are from the States are...

Chelios
Leetch
Roenick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad