Players From Countries Other Than Your Own You Prefer Over Players From Your Country?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Being a homer for your nations players is really more of a European thing on this board, specifically Finnish and Russian in that order. There are too many NA players that most really don't care unless it's the Olympics. But if you mildly disagree in a Michkov thread a dozen Sergei's will be out for your blood. And if you didn't think Laine was on track to be the GOAT oh boy those Finns weren't happy. The same nationalistic pride doesn't really apply to Canada/US and the Swedes are more sparse or quiet.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Such an odd question. I enjoy watching great hockey. And the best thing about hockey is that there are incredible players from all countries. If I like one player over another, their nationality has zero to do with it.

• Love
Reactions: DitchMarner

Djenthallman

Jul 27, 2024
Being a homer for your nations players is really more of a European thing on this board, specifically Finnish and Russian in that order. There are too many NA players that most really don't care unless it's the Olympics. But if you mildly disagree in a Michkov thread a dozen Sergei's will be out for your blood. And if you didn't think Laine was on track to be the GOAT oh boy those Finns weren't happy. The same nationalistic pride doesn't really apply to Canada/US and the Swedes are more sparse or quiet.
There's also a decent amount of Russian fans who love shitting on their own players. I have seen some absolutely braindead takes from them (not here but on Russian websites) like saying that Ovechkin is not a Hall of Famer. Now they're dreaming that Michkov becomes a bust.

Sad, pathetic people they are.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
1722154304521.jpeg

1722154383894.jpeg

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I’m USA/Finn and Mogilny is my all time favorite. I hate Selänne the most of all players ever

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
I've always had a soft spot for Czech and especially Slovakian players. They're so far removed from Finland that there's no bad blood. I partied like crazy when the Slovaks won their only world championship in -02.

Hail Jozef Stümpel

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Are there any players from a different country than yours that you prefer over players from your own country? I mean stars who have rivalries with players from different nations.

Russians liking Crosby, Canadians liking Ovechkin, Finns preferring Forsberg over one of their own, that sort of thing...
Almost any goalie.

Feels like young Canadian goalies are coached away from using their athleticism and reflexes and 100% dialed in to technique and positioning. Vs other countries let them train their reflex and athleticism and coach technique later.

I could be wrong, but that seems counterproductive with goalies

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Such a bizarre premise, I don't think I've ever met a fan in person who cheers for players based on nationality, it's almost always about what NHL team they play for. Generally the fewer NHL players a country has the more likely they are to just cheer for someone from their own country.

My favourite players are all Detroit players. Yzerman, then Fedorov, then on downward. Random non-Detroit players I have liked off the top of my hear are Pavel Bure, Theo Fleury, Ryan O'Reilly, James Patrick, Ilya Kovalchuk, Borje Salming.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Are there any players from a different country than yours that you prefer over players from your own country? I mean stars who have rivalries with players from different nations.

Russians liking Crosby, Canadians liking Ovechkin, Finns preferring Forsberg over one of their own, that sort of thing...

I couldn't care less what country a player is from. I have never "favoured" players from my only country.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It used to be fun to cheer for the Canadian players and their pride and intensity. Especially in meaningful international tournaments. The intensity level and talent has been going downhill for a few years and all the same now.
I liked Mats just a much as Gilmour, but currently there’s no Leafs player like them and regardless of where they were born and raised. They’re equally unlikeable both on and off the ice.

Reactions: byrath

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'm Canadian and I don't favour Canadian players even in the slightest. I just like players based on their play. Many of my all-time favourite players are Russians, probably more Russians than Canadians. But I have favourites from all the big hockey countries.

And I generally don't cheer for Team Canada in international play either.
Commie

• Haha
Reactions: FMichael

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

I really like many of the answers so far. I've certainly read posts on this web site indicating National bias/preference. I am glad many don't care what Nation a player is from. I really don't, either.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
And also most other Finnish NHLers, especially OJ IIRC

I love S.Koivu, Lehtinen, Numminen, Sonja, Timonen. Heiskanen ofcourse our current Panthers finna etc

Hate Selänne and Laine. OJ is a love and hate relationship. Dislike Aho (mainly because Divers)

Typical finnish was saying I hate all finn nhlers because I hate your beloved Selänne.. then go ahead

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
More like your postings here, I think pretty much everyone knows how I feel about Selänne.
I love S.Koivu, Lehtinen, Numminen, Sonja, Timonen. Heiskanen ofcourse our current Panthers finna etc

Hate Selänne and Laine. OJ is a love and hate relationship. Dislike Aho (mainly because Divers)

Typical finnish was saying I hate all finn nhlers because I hate your beloved Selänne..

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
More like your postings here, I think pretty much everyone knows how I feel about Selänne.

Can you give me example of me bashing invidual finnish player outside Selanne and Laine?

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
The Canucks barely had a Canadian on the team last season and I liked them just fine.
In fact, I like all of them better than any player on any other team, regardless of nationality.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Nationality doesn't matter to me, but Canadian players have always been over-represented among the rats and goons in the game, so I suppose I prefer foreign players slightly

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
It used to be fun to cheer for the Canadian players and their pride and intensity. Especially in meaningful international tournaments. The intensity level and talent has been going downhill for a few years and all the same now.
I liked Mats just a much as Gilmour, but currently there’s no Leafs player like them and regardless of where they were born and raised. They’re equally unlikeable both on and off the ice.
Oooof, that's a harsh thing to hear from a fan of the team, not that I really disagree. I root for the Leafs against American teams but am really not fond of Matthews, Marner, Reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad