Players destroying penalty box camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
They need to stop.

These cameras are expensive and are used to enhanced the TV broadcast.

Players should be fined the price of the camera and be put on a list of offenders.
Is this actually a thing?

Is this thing actually a problem?

Is this problem already being addressed by the NHL?

Need these answers before I can comment.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
If a player breaks a camera they have to pay for a new one Id guess. Other wise who cares

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
We must make sure to regulate all expressions of human passion, it will make the game better!

Reactions: LokiDog

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
They need to stop.

These cameras are expensive and are used to enhanced the TV broadcast.

Players should be fined the price of the camera and be put on a list of offenders.
Honest question, why do you care if a player breaks a camera? What would this “list of offenders” be used for?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
a99bfc5be53c42cc9f655ca03773038f.jpg

Just stash a pic somewhere in your jersy, much more fun!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I've been playing and watching hockey for 30 years, and I've never once had the experience enhanced by having a video camera in the penalty box.

You see a player who doesn't think he deserved a penalty and is yelling at the referee / other team. He squirts some water on the ground, then some in his mouth. 50/50 if he spits or swallows. He adjusts his equipment. Sometimes there's a middle-aged fat guy in frame, wearing a cheap suit. He usually writes something down on his clipboard.

Am I missing anything? That camera doesn't need to be there and I don't care when it gets struck in anger.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I've been playing and watching hockey for 30 years, and I've never once had the experience enhanced by having a video camera in the penalty box.

You see a player who doesn't think he deserved a penalty and is yelling at the referee / other team. He squirts some water on the ground, then some in his mouth. 50/50 if he spits or swallows. He adjusts his equipment. Sometimes there's a middle-aged fat guy in frame, wearing a cheap suit. He usually writes something down on his clipboard.

Am I missing anything? That camera doesn't need to be there and I don't care when it gets struck in anger.
Some fans yelling something into the glass behind or next to him, thinking he can actually hear what they're saying while being completely ignored ...

Reactions: ck26

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is your big issue in life????
Well, what subject on an NHL fan forum would possibly be someone's legitimate 'big issue in life'? This is all frivolous stuff verging on outright nonsense.

Personally I think, passion or not, it's expensive property and just because you are wearing a sports team uniform you aren't entitled to destroy it. Guys should pay for a new one and also get fined for it.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Personally I think, passion or not, it's expensive property and just because you are wearing a sports team uniform you aren't entitled to destroy it. Guys should pay for a new one and also get fined for it.

Get over it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rich guys damaging property in the heat of the moment isn't the greatest look, but as long as their team gets invoiced for the bad behaviour, I guess who cares?

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Rich guys damaging property in the heat of the moment isn't the greatest look, but as long as their team gets invoiced for the bad behaviour, I guess who cares?
Poor sportsmanship, bad example for kids

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well, what subject on an NHL fan forum would possibly be someone's legitimate 'big issue in life'? This is all frivolous stuff verging on outright nonsense.

IMG_6687.jpeg
link
In a Dec. 26 game against Vancouver at Rogers Arena, Edmonton Oilers forward Ben Eager was given a two-minute slashing penalty at 5:24 of the second period. It was Eager’s second penalty of the night -- he was whistled for cross-checking in the opening frame -- and he was clearly incensed with the call.

The end result was a broken HD camera and the Canucks telling the Oilers they were on the hook for replacement costs -- to the tune of $13,000. And that’s when things got interesting, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:

The Oilers then turned around and docked Eager’s pay (from his $1 million salary).

At which point the NHLPA took umbrage and, last month, filed a grievance.

The union’s real beef here, from what I’m told, is procedural more than anything. In no way is the NHLPA condoning its players breaking cameras. But the union wants to know who decided the camera was worth $13,000? Why wasn’t the player invoiced instead of simply docked, for example? So the NHLPA has process questions here, not the least of which is where the line will be drawn in future instances when a player damages something at the rink.

This might seem like a non-story, but do consider the following:

-- The current status of the NHL/NHLPA relationship is, how you say in the English, precarious. The NHLPA already shot down realignment and as the current CBA expiration day draws closer and closer, things get more and more uncomfortable.

-- As LeBrun writes: “You must keep in mind the undercurrent of the labor strife that’s on the horizon when viewing this whole episode. Just as when the NHLPA blocked realignment, the union will take every opportunity it can to flex its muscles ahead of the CBA talks.”

-- There’s no set date for the grievance hearing.

No idea what happened at the grievance hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad