Player Spotlight: Jussi Jokinen

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hey guys,

New post up on http://catsontheprowl.com. I did season review on Jussi Jokinen...check it out and let me know what you think. All feedback is welcome :)

http://catsontheprowl.com/2015/05/20/player-spotlight-jussi-jokinen/
Nice writeup on his season. Lets see how he does this year where he will probably see most of his ice time on the 3rd and 4th lines as Tallon will probably fill out the team with youth, a trade, and maybe a value priced UFA.

I think someone on the board called him a "useless piece of meat." I'm not in that camp, but Jokinen will disappear some seasons depending on whether he feels appreciated by the coach. You have to look no further than Carolina where he fell out of favor and was waived after his effort level spiraled following a few nice seasons. After he landed on a talented Pittsburgh team he was able to get things going again. I would say his work ethic this year was average until the last 10 games of the season when he notched up his intensity to try and help the Cats get in the playoffs.

I think this coming season we will see a ROI based on how Gallant uses him. If he starts slow like last season, he will bounce between the 3rd and 4th lines and probably be scratched on occasion. The key for him contributing will be to get off to a solid start and get his confidence up. If that doesn't happen, I think he is in for a long boring season. With the length and size of his contract, I have to believe he is untradeable even if Tallon offers to take part of it back. He could be a buyout candidate after next season should he fail to produce.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Nice writeup on his season. Lets see how he does this year where he will probably see most of his ice time on the 3rd and 4th lines as Tallon will probably fill out the team with youth, a trade, and maybe a value priced UFA.

I think someone on the board called him a "useless piece of meat." I'm not in that camp, but Jokinen will disappear some seasons depending on whether he feels appreciated by the coach. You have to look no further than Carolina where he fell out of favor and was waived after his effort level spiraled following a few nice seasons. After he landed on a talented Pittsburgh team he was able to get things going again. I would say his work ethic this year was average until the last 10 games of the season when he notched up his intensity to try and help the Cats get in the playoffs.

I think this coming season we will see a ROI based on how Gallant uses him. If he starts slow like last season, he will bounce between the 3rd and 4th lines and probably be scratched on occasion. The key for him contributing will be to get off to a solid start and get his confidence up. If that doesn't happen, I think he is in for a long boring season. With the length and size of his contract, I have to believe he is untradeable even if Tallon offers to take part of it back. He could be a buyout candidate after next season should he fail to produce.

Thanks for checking it out.

With Jokinen being pretty much the only decent veteran on the team offensively aside from Jagr, you'd think Gallant would appreciate him. With the team wanting to be in the playoffs next year for sure, it wouldn't surprise me to see him play more games with that intensity he had in the last 10 of this past season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I'd say he's evolved to a more complete player compared to a few years ago, which makes him worth keeping in the line-up even if he's not putting up the points. JJ's defensive work is pretty good for a mid6 guy and he seemed to click well with Bolland when they played together near the end.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'd say he's evolved to a more complete player compared to a few years ago, which makes him worth keeping in the line-up even if he's not putting up the points. JJ's defensive work is pretty good for a mid6 guy and he seemed to click well with Bolland when they played together near the end.
Unless some trades shakeup the team, I think Bolland and Boyes will round out the third line with Jokinen. I think that is an effective group but one that needs to notch it up in the scoring dept. They all have the ability to score and play solid defense, so it's just a matter of turning the red light on more consistently. Because Jokinen can transcend easily into the top 6, it is likely he and Tro will be the utility forwards as injuries occur. All teams need to have the depth to move pieces in and out of the lineup without skipping a beat. This will be mandatory if the Cats are going to turn the corner this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad