GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The big problem is that the cameras they use are not high speed enough to accurately judge offsides that are that close. So depending on which frame the VAR official decides to stop it at based on when they chose the player made contact with the ball, that will determine whether it is offisde or not. It really goes against the spirit of VAR to be using it like this.

Alan Shearer raged against this last season, because he was on the committee where VAR was presented and explained before it was implemented and they stated emphatically that it wouldn't be used this way.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The big problem is that the cameras they use are not high speed enough to accurately judge offsides that are that close. So depending on which frame the VAR official decides to stop it at based on when they chose the player made contact with the ball, that will determine whether it is offisde or not. It really goes against the spirit of VAR to be using it like this.

Alan Shearer raged against this last season, because he was on the committee where VAR was presented and explained before it was implemented and they stated emphatically that it wouldn't be used this way.

Not only is it an issue of which frame is used, it’s also an issue of resolution. Today’s decision was literally what pixel was chosen to be the end of the shoulder and beginning of the arm.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Make VAR better by not letting them zoom or draw. If naked eye can’t see it, can’t reverse it. Liverpool been getting burned on calls like this all season but I’m a complainer.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Rob Holding’s record vs the big six:
Played: 17
Won: 11
Drawn: 3
Lost: 3
Clean sheets: 5

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Make VAR better by not letting them zoom or draw. If naked eye can’t see it, can’t reverse it. Liverpool been getting burned on calls like this all season but I’m a complainer.

Zoom I agree with, but drawing is fine and even necessary, because you're not dealing with a camera that's straight across the line so perspective can play tricks on you. They just need to include a buffer of 10cm or whatever. If the lines drawn are within 10cm of each other, it's onside. Sure it might (will) allow goals that are technically offside, but the offside rule was never meant to be that tight anyway and a defender can't really have any complaints if the forward is <10cm offside since there's no human way to know you actually stepped up in time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Zoom I agree with, but drawing is fine and even necessary, because you're not dealing with a camera that's straight across the line so perspective can play tricks on you. They just need to include a buffer of 10cm or whatever. If the lines drawn are within 10cm of each other, it's onside. Sure it might (will) allow goals that are technically offside, but the offside rule was never meant to be that tight anyway and a defender can't really have any complaints if the forward is <10cm offside since there's no human way to know you actually stepped up in time.
But that’s the point. VAR shouldn’t be invasive. The lines aren’t consistent. Refs aren’t drawing from the same body parts. Just get rid of it. Improve VAR by making it less complicated/variables.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
But that’s the point. VAR shouldn’t be invasive. The lines aren’t consistent. Refs aren’t drawing from the same body parts. Just get rid of it. Improve VAR by making it less complicated/variables.
The camera shots are inconsistent. The lines are drew almost randomly. And there is a margin of error that is never respected.. they should do the CL way, draw one line. If it's too close to call, it's onside.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The camera shots are inconsistent. The lines are drew almost randomly. And there is a margin of error that is never respected.. they should do the CL way, draw one line. If it's too close to call, it's onside.
If you need a line, you stick with the call in the field.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can you explain his career in Italy though, especially with Napoli?

That was the same year in the same league that Lacazette had 37 in 45 for his best year ever (only one of two he was above 23 goals all comps)

But yea, it totally makes sense for United to pay for Laca than to sign Cavani on a free.
Serie A is such a schoolboy league that I can post 0.60 GPG average myself, it's hardly relevant to use in a discussion like nobody cares about Salah's record in Roma either.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Serie A is such a schoolboy league that I can post 0.60 GPG average myself, it's hardly relevant to use in a discussion like nobody cares about Salah's record in Roma either.
Yet Salah's record is better in the PL than it was in the Serie A?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Wow S E P H, your .60 GPG would be higher than Salah's in Serie A. Im impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad