PL Matchweek 7

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Under does it again. What a pass by Maddison to Under, and a great little chip from Under to Vardy.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Leicester's counter attacking style really shredded Leeds. Leicester is always willing to surrender possession and bait teams into throwing players forward, because when they get the ball and counter they are really hard to defend.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
At what point does Bielsa adjust his tactical approach?

If he doesn’t, could he be labeled as stubborn and unable to adjust tactics?

What is the prime initiative?

It’s still attractive to watch. For neutrals at least. I’m sure there at least some Leeds fans who feel that, as pretty as it is, there’s nothing fun about losing.

In a way they are fortunate that there are a couple real brutal teams in the league, because relegation one year often promotion is not fun. But I’d imagine the fans would still have street party at the end of the season- “We play so beautifully!”

Playing attractive football is great, but it ranks far below actually winning in a list of what’s important in this sport.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
At what point does Bielsa adjust his tactical approach?

If he doesn’t, could he be labeled as stubborn and unable to adjust tactics?

What is the prime initiative?

It’s still attractive to watch. For neutrals at least. I’m sure there at least some Leeds fans who feel that, as pretty as it is, there’s nothing fun about losing.

In a way they are fortunate that there are a couple real brutal teams in the league, because relegation one year often promotion is not fun. But I’d imagine the fans would still have street party at the end of the season- “We play so beautifully!”

Playing attractive football is great, but it ranks far below actually winning in a list of what’s important in this sport.

A. They aren't in the relegation zone.

B. Playing good football will help them attract better players than the teams they're competing with.

C. There's no way in hell those players would get results if they were playing a different way.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yea I don't think Leeds can play a different way as currently built, as they put that squad together to play this style of football.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I know they aren’t going to be relegated, it’s an exaggeration to drive the point home.

I think winning could attract as many players as their play style would.

I’m not sure I agree that they’d be worse off in a more pragmatic approach, but the only thing there no way in hell is knowing that for sure. No one can say.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno, Leeds are very effective in transition. I think they'd do well to try and set up more like Leicester; you can still be an exciting offensive team while being pragmatic. It's not catenaccio or Bielsaball. There are a lot of counter-attacking teams in the PL that are used to much better teams than Leeds attacking them...I dunno, I think they're going to struggle more as the season goes on but who knows. Either way their games are always entertaining so I'll tune in.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I suppose you can argue about the personnel not fitting certain styles, but on the issue of fun to watch, I’m having fun too. As a neutral.

Some of the more recent threads and post in the link below show exactly how much fun Leeds fans themselves are currently having.

| MOTForum.com

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I know they aren’t going to be relegated, it’s an exaggeration to drive the point home.

I think winning could attract as many players as their play style would.

I’m not sure I agree that they’d be worse off in a more pragmatic approach, but the only thing there no way in hell is knowing that for sure. No one can say.

Getting results didn't help Bournemouth or Stoke get better players. Pragmatism will only take a team so far.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I dunno, Leeds are very effective in transition. I think they'd do well to try and set up more like Leicester; you can still be an exciting offensive team while being pragmatic. It's not catenaccio or Bielsaball. There are a lot of counter-attacking teams in the PL that are used to much better teams than Leeds attacking them...I dunno, I think they're going to struggle more as the season goes on but who knows. Either way their games are always entertaining so I'll tune in.
They are definitely going to struggle as the season goes on I think. They don't have the talent to play this way in the EPL, and don't have the defensive ability or tactics to stop counter attacking from better teams.

Reactions: YNWA14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Style doesn't get players, results and money do. Leeds benefitted from a lot of PR and Bielsa hero worship, I don't think a bottom third finish (which is definitely possible if not likely) won't attract a higher caliber player than they've already got. And if they do attract that player, it'll be because they stumped money and salary on it, not because Bielsa likes to attack.

Getting results didn't help Bournemouth or Stoke get better players. Pragmatism will only take a team so far.
It would have if they wanted to spend the money.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stoke's best finish their last stretch up was 9th, and they hovered around 9th-13th for 9 years before being relegated. Bournemouth also finished 9th one season, and were 12th, 14th, 16th, and 18th their other seasons.

I don't think I would call that "results".

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Bournemouth played very offensive football though, they were probably the least pragmatic of any lower to mid table team during the past decade.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bournemouth played very offensive football though, they were probably the least pragmatic of any newly lower to mid table team during the past decade.
Yea this is pretty accurate. Eddie Howe was widely praised for always trying to play on the front foot.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Off the top of my head and without looking, I can't think of a typical marquee PL buy that Bournemouth made. Was Jordon Ibe their most expensive buy?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Off the top of my head and without looking, I can't think of a typical marquee PL buy that Bournemouth made. Was Jordon Ibe their most expensive buy?
Jefferson Lerma (£25m), Nathan Ake (£21m), Dominic Solanke (£19m), Arnaut Danjuma (£16m), and Jordan Ibe (£16m) are their top 5 most expensive transfers.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Jefferson Lerma (£25m), Nathan Ake (£21m), Dominic Solanke (£19m), Arnaut Danjuma (£16m), and Jordan Ibe (£16m) are their top 5 most expensive transfers.
To be fair, 2/5 definitely worked out and a third seems to be coming good. But Solanke and Ibe were so poor as to nullify the others.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
To be fair, 2/5 definitely worked out and a third seems to be coming good. But Solanke and Ibe were so poor as to nullify the others.
The point was more though that their front foot style of play did not attract top talent. Compare that with Leicester City who have not always played the most attacking football, but have managed to build up a club that has managed to bring in much more talented players like Tielemans, Fofana, Maddison, Castagne, Pereira, Soyuncu, Ndidi, Maguire, Kante, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1