GWT: PL Matchweek 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Convenient lie? They beat tough teams like Monaco, Lyon and Bordeaux this season with Saliba, keeping clean sheets in all of those games. Saliba was named man of the match against Lyon, his performances in those were a large reason behind why his estimated market valuation rose to the top of all players born 2001 or after.
Yep I missed the one game they played against Lyon this season. You're right, he's done it so consistently at the top level it would be foolish not to think he's got the best potential as a CB maybe in all of Europe. As far as the valuation goes...there's 21 players valued higher on transfermarkt that are u20 and another 4 valued at the same amount. Is that really a deciding factor? Martinelli doesn't even make the first page. No doubt he's got talent, as does Martinelli (I really like Martinelli tbh) but to say they're 'easily in the top 10 u20 players on the planet' without probably knowing even a fraction of those players or even more potential ones to come seems a bit much.

Again, Arsenal will likely dominate world football in the near future with the level of talents they have coming through right now.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Plus, most “major” teams are playing in the CL not Europa league. If Arsenal was a CL side, he wouldn’t be starting, let alone scoring in those games. But I don’t know why you guys even bother. We know who we are dealing with here. I’ve said it on the hockey and soccer forums here. AB is knowledgeable for the sports he follows and could have proper discussions, unless the discussion is about anything Arsenal or anything Swedish. His emotional link to those subjects cloud his logic far too much. Not a sin or anything, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's false. Sancho has more goals. Greenwood has the same number. And those aren't even without checking very much.

Not to mention that 2 of those came in the league cup against a championship side and 2 came against Liverpool's u23 team in the league cup.

I also like how he phrased that when we all know Haaland is better. Which, I'm not saying Martinelli isn't good. But come on.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yep I missed the one game they played against Lyon this season. You're right, he's done it so consistently at the top level it would be foolish not to think he's got the best potential as a CB maybe in all of Europe. As far as the valuation goes...there's 21 players valued higher on transfermarkt that are u20 and another 4 valued at the same amount. Is that really a deciding factor? Martinelli doesn't even make the first page. No doubt he's got talent, as does Martinelli (I really like Martinelli tbh) but to say they're 'easily in the top 10 u20 players on the planet' without probably knowing even a fraction of those players or even more potential ones to come seems a bit much.

Again, Arsenal will likely dominate world football in the near future with the level of talents they have coming through right now.
I was talking about CIES, not Transfermarkt. In both places, Martinelli does make the first page for players born 2001 or after, he is 10th on transfermarkt which you were referring to? I do not know every U20 player, of course, but they are definitely among the top 10 from what I have seen of and heard about other players in the same age range, which is all I can base it on. Can you name any Center Back that is consistently playing brilliantly at the very highest level at 18? Of course not, so why does that mean Saliba doesn't have among the highest potentials?

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not even true again. Liar. Sancho has more goals for starters and he scored most of his against far better teams. I don't know why you post stuff that is so easily disproven.
That's false. Sancho has more goals. Greenwood has the same number. And those aren't even without checking very much.

Not to mention that 2 of those came in the league cup against a championship side and 2 came against Liverpool's u23 team in the league cup.

I thought Sancho was 20, but apparently not. I saw a stat on twitter saying he was a month or so back but I guess it has changed since then.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Plus, most “major” teams are playing in the CL not Europa league. If Arsenal was a CL side, he wouldn’t be starting, let alone scoring in those games. But I don’t know why you guys even bother. We know who we are dealing with here. I’ve said it on the hockey and soccer forums here. AB is knowledgeable for the sports he follows and could have proper discussions, unless the discussion is about anything Arsenal or anything Swedish. His emotional link to those subjects cloud his logic far too much. Not a sin or anything, but it is what it is.
I am fully aware that I am not unbiased, I don't get why people point that out as quick as I say something, what is the point in doing that? No one on here is unbiased, it is not like I am unique. I try to be as unbiased as possible but I just say things as I see them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We’re really arguing Sancho or haaland lol. The arsenal kid isn’t even the best brasil has to offer among prospects.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You're right. I read it wrong. But the way you dismiss their potential is also pretty stupid.
I'm not dismissing their potential; I think both of those players are fantastic talents. I don't have faith in Arsenal in the near-mid future though, and some of the other PL teams have shown a lot more organization, initiative and savvy that makes me think Arsenal face an uphill battle to be a top 4 team again (at least over the next while). In that case I'd consider it lucky for those two to get transfers out to CL teams not in that they aren't good enough, but then they wouldn't be at a team where expectations are sky high but the product and management are piss poor.

The main point was just that they are not shoe-in top 10 u-20 players. There's a lot of very, very good teenagers. They can be considered up there certainly but there is no certainty in their future. We find that out quickly; even guys like Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones and Neco Williams stood out massively playing against Martinelli in the Carabao Cup tie. I doubt anyone would say that any of those 3 are 'undisputed top 10 u20 players in the world'.

Reactions: phisherman

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I try to be as unbiased as possible but I just say things as I see them.
All this trying and you still come off as an ignorant muppet who can't see anything about footy accurately through yr fanboi glasses.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Scenes when Klopp tries to buy Martinelli when Arsenal is out of Europe next season

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
All this trying and you still come off as an ignorant muppet who can't see anything about footy accurately through yr fanboi glasses.

Same thing goes for you, have you even remotely credited Arsenal for anything ever? You are as biased as they get, and ignorant too. Looking at your post history, some of the things you have said about the mighty Arsenal and our little irrrlevant neighbouring club just strike me as ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Arsenal have been relevant recently?

When have they been relevant in Europe (Don't give me joke Europa)? When have they actually been in the title race? I mean, I guess 15-16, they were ten points off top.

Wait, my bad, they've won an Emirates Cup in 2015, 2017. Placed second last year.

Sure, they're a big club. Sure, they have a ton of fan support (though they're inflating attendance in their stadium of late). But they've not really been relevant to much of anything in the past 4 or 5 seasons.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Looking at your post history,
you didn't do this
because I barely ever say anything about Arsenal, they're basically irrelevant
I think last week I commented that it was a nice job that they didn't let City put up a touchdown on them, that was pretty nice of me.
the mighty Arsenal
giphy.gif

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
you didn't do this
because I barely ever say anything about Arsenal, they're basically irrelevant
I think last week I commented that it was a nice job that they didn't let City put up a touchdown on them, that was pretty nice of me.

giphy.gif

A few sub pars years don't make a club with that history irrelevant, we can get relegated and still be very relevant, and have more people watch our games than Sp*rs. Clubs like Arsenal will always be very relevant no matter how they are doing. We will be back soon with all the young talent.

Fun fact, Sp*rs last league title is closer to the invention of the first successful gas turbine than it is the present day!

This is what irrelevance looks like:

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Also, don't forget the fact your grandad was probably a virgin the last time Tottenham won the league!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad